Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Question hit me while in church yesterday....

I am getting sleeved in 7 days and I am a Catholic. Does anyone know about taking communion after surgery? I was wondering if I can still take it and chew it up real good and swallow it, how long do I have to wait to take communion?

Thanks for giving me any experiences you may have on this.

The first week after my surgery I was in line going up for communion and then it hit me. OH NO what should I do? Then I decided that the Body of Christ was not going to hurt me. I just keep it in my mouth until it melts and it has been no problem. I have taken communion 2 times since my surgery and it has not been an issue at all.

Lisa

Good question. I am not sleeved yet but am catholic also.

I was on liquids only the day before surgery which was a Sunday so I went up and was blessed by the priest but did not take The Body. Again, the following Sunday after surgery I did that was well and by the next Sunday I went ahead and just like the ladies said I made sure it all all melted in my mouth.

Another option is to only receive under the species of wine. Both the host and the cup contain the true presence, body and blood, soul and divinity of the Lord. I am allergic to wheat . . . so I frequently only receive from the cup (teeny, tiny sip).

I am not Catholic, but I asked my nut if taking communion was ok. She said it's not a problem, even if it is wine. We use grape juice at my church.

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We use bread & Water for the Sacrament. We have quite a few members in our congregation that have gluten intolerance (including me) & they bring their own bread & have it blessed with the rest on a special tray that is passed just to them (we pass trays around the congregation). I hadn't really thought about it after my surgery (it's scheduled for 5/14), but I agree with others - I don't think it'd hurt as long as you make sure it's really liquidy before swallowing it.

I also agree with "red_delicious" that it's really the spirit of the act of Sacrament & Heavenly Father knows your situation. If you can only take the water (or whatever your church uses to represent the blood) or even if you can't handle taking any of it, He knows your heart and what you can handle & He will understand even if those around you don't get it! I know some of the people with gluten intolerance that don't want to bring their own bread, so they just take the water.

I'm also LDS and came across this situation regarding sacrament this past Sunday. I just took a small piece of the bread and nibbled a tiny bit and let it dissolve in my mouth. The Lord knows our situations. :)