Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Stomach Acid Issues Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I am currently 4 months post surgery and have had severe stomach acid from the beginning. I am taking ompreazole (previcid)40 mg twice a day and Carafate 4 times a day. All of this is barely working. I have pain in my stomach constantly and it is really impacting my quality of life. I'm following the diet, I don't eat after 6pm, and I take the medicine religiously. I have spoken to my doctor and the the nut.

I see that a lot of people take a minor dose of a PPI, but my issues go way beyond that. My question is, did anyone else have serious stomach acid issues and how long did they last? I am having a difficult time getting an answer from my doctor and I really just want to know what I am looking at long term.

Has your doctor ever suggested H2 (histamine receptor) blockers? E.g. Zantac. Have you ever done any serious studies, such as a gastroscopy or 24-hr pH monitoring to look for a cause? Also, this could be the result of a surgical error, in case everything else fails and you want to pursue the legal route (although, unfortunately, this won't do anything for your symptoms, of course).

I am taking a blocker (omeprazole) and it certainly helps a lot, but it seems to be just keeping it back a bit. I haven't had a gastroscopy or a 24 hr pH monitoring (both sound pretty awful!). I think the gastroscapy is premature. I definately don't have a ulcer and I am taking the carafate to try and prevent that. The monitoring might really be helpful and I will talk to my doc about that. Thanks!

I have been having like yellow bile coming up at night and after I eat do you have that also???

I haven't had any bile come up, but I can can taste it in my mouth all the time. It is pretty gross. Are you taking anything to control acid production?

Omeprazole is just an over the counter drug which is not the most effective PPI. You should definitely get an upper GI scope (EGD) to check what state your esophagus and stomach are in, and to make sure things look ok and nothing else is wrong. If not, you may just need stronger drugs (esomeprazole - the active metabolite of omeprazole - or pantoprazole eg. protonix).

Go see a GI guy.

Hi Cherice, I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Li at SSF on March 21st. This is one of the main things I am concerned about. I already have mild-moderate reflux that I usually take pepcid for once or twice a day. Did you have acid issues prior to surgery and if so, were they severe?

P.S. I really hope you start to feel better!!

I have acid reflux very bad too

I had a VGS on the 7th FEB this year

It's very painful

If any one can help it would be great ,,,,,

THANKS ANN :0)))

You might try asking your doctor to do a breath test for H-pylori. It is a stomach bacteria that causes ulcers, severe reflux, gastritis, cancer, etc. I had the same problem and found that is what I have. My doctor found it in an endoscope with biopsies. I have gone through a 14 day treatment with 4 antibiotics 4 times a day. Truely exhausting. But I go next week to have a breath test to see if the antibiotics killed it or not. I am hoping so, otherwise I will be doing another 2 weeks of antibiotics.

Hope this helps and most importantly feel better soon!

I have had problems with lots of acid myself. I had a hiatial hernia repair at the same time as my sleeve. I had an upper GI this morning and the technologist said I have severe reflux. My doctor said that one fix for this is to convert the surgery to a bypass. I couldn't believe it and said "No Way". I guess if you have no pylorus te acid leaves the stomach more readily. But another surgery? and a bypass????

My doctor prescribed liquid nexium for after surgery-due to a change of insurance the first of the year, after 2 months he said I could use Prilose OTC. I know there are generics but I found that I did not have as much effectiveness with other generics. In the Sunday papers there is a $3 coupon good for one month and they come out monthly. This brings the cost down to $21 at Walmart which is just a $2 more then the generic. My doctor wants me on this for 6 months after surgery. I did have some acid reflux prior to surgery and they did do a big hiatal hernia repair. I have not had any episodes since surgery. Good luck.

I am taking a blocker (omeprazole) and it certainly helps a lot, but it seems to be just keeping it back a bit. I haven't had a gastroscopy or a 24 hr pH monitoring (both sound pretty awful!). I think the gastroscapy is premature. I definately don't have a ulcer and I am taking the carafate to try and prevent that. The monitoring might really be helpful and I will talk to my doc about that. Thanks!

I had an endoscopy (same as gastroscopy I think) yesterday and am currently doing the pH monitoring (48-Hour Bravo Esophageal pH Test). Really not a big deal. In the endoscopy the doctor puts a camera down your throat and looks at your insides down your esophagus, into your stomach and a little bit into your small intestines. The pH monitoring is done by the doctor placing a electronic capsule in your esophagus and it can be done during the endoscopy. My throat is sore from the camera and my chest is uncomfortable probably because of the irritation of the hiatal hernia that he discovered yesterday, but overall no big deal. It's better to know what's going on.

I have a hiatal hernia that was not fixed at the time of my sleeve that my doctor now thinks is causing reflux/pain problems. Don't know why he didn't fix it at the time of surgery, and said something about converting to a bypass but I do not want that. (I am only 6 weeks out as it is). I have always had GERD/gastritis that was well-controlled as long as I took Nexium daily. That all changed after the surgery, however. Two Nexium daily plus one zantac do not seem to control the problems. I do not have so much burning in my throat as I have a pressure sensation in my chest and my stomach always hurts, burning, gnawing, raw feeling. Hurts after I eat almost anything. I had a scope last week that showed the hiatal hernia, no ulcer. Does anyone know if a hiatal hernia can cause this type of pain and can the hernia be fixed after you have been sleeved without converting to a bypass. Thanks.

Hi thank you all for posting this. Could some our symptoms be GALLBLADDER? Although I have had the Sleeve Plication, I am going through the same thing, even though I had a great, experienced, diligent surgeon who also fixed my hiatal hernia. PPIs, Anti Acids, Apple Cider Vinegar and Tums do not help me at all, and acid medicine should really fix it if ACID REFLUX is the problem. I've been tested for HPolyri, had an endoscope, even been on stomach ulcer medicine. It doesn't matter what I eat or drink or if I have a completely EMPTY stomach (Water on an empty stomach is especailly bad for me), the acid keeps firing and I have burning, gnawing pain from about 2 inches above my bellybutton upto my throat. Sometimes I have a pain on the right side, above my belly button, chest pains or backpains, but it is much more rare. The acid running between my rib cage upto my throat happens on and off throughout the day and night, into morning on an empty stomach and the burning wakes me up at night. Some people have reported getting relief from acid after their gallbladders come out. Usually fatty foods can could pain/discomfort when you have gallstones, but salads/raw veggies can as well. I usually have the worst symptoms from vinegar, citric acid, egg yolks, and bacon but cheese is no problem. My younger sister had an issue with veggies and had the acid reflux symptoms and they were relieved when she had her gallbladder out.

Have any or all of you had your gallbladder out? I have stones, and a few of the doctors say that getting the GALLBLADDER OUT will take of this acid problem. Since I had acid all my life, I didn't know it was a problem, I just thought that was what hunger was.

Now, 3 doctors seemed convinced that my acid problems are due to the Gallstones I have. I had an Upper GI where you swallow the barrium, and the results were "ACID FIRING CONSTANTLY" throughout the exam. One of the doctors, the surgeon changed his tune about Acid being fixed by gallbladder and said I should probably research to something else handle ACID converting over to the regular Gastric Sleeve or getting a Wrap (where part of the stomach is wrapped around the esphagous to protect it when acid comes up, this would not solve the long term weight loss issue and has it own set of problems) but I could not have both. I am wondering why he thinks getting a normal sleeve will help with the acid. Maybe having less stomach = less acid? At this point, I don't even know if CAN convert to a regular sleeve, I don't know if my stomach has stretched far enough yet or if a surgeon will do revision surgery. I am also researching if regular sleevers have ONGOING ACID issues too, so thank you for your posts.

I told my gastro doctor and my surgeon about my "hunger pains" before and after surgery. Because I dealt with what I thought were "hunger pains" my WHOLE LIFE, I thought that was NORMAL. I thought STOMACH PAIN & BURNING, GNAWING FEELING = HUNGER. Usually when I eat something, it takes away the pain. Even now eating seems to help a little. But now, the pain comes back much quicker than before. At surgery I found out I have stomach polyps (this was before I ever took a PPI.) I had many tests, including a colonoscopy and no other polyps in the colon, only stomach. I had to make a decision on whether or not I should have 85% of my stomach out forever or folded over and sewn (at the time doctors seemed to think Plication was reversible, I doubt that it is due to scar tissue.) In the end, I went with plication, because I was afraid someday the polyups would cause a problem and I might need more of my stomach. I am happy to say I've almost lost ALL of my necessary weight, and although I know my sleeve had stretched alot, I am happy that I utilizee my powerful tool. (I can eat a small plate of food or probably 1 1/2 to 2 cups of food.) Someday I know if want a smaller stomach I will probably need to convert to a regular sleeve, but it is still a little scary.

Let me know your feedback and if you haven't had a Ultrasound for Gallbladder, it might be a good idea. I had the hida scan (that made my gallbladder look fine), MRI, colonscopy, gastric emptying study but no ultrasound for gallstones and barium test until recently after I lost my weight. I think what I may do is try to have my gallbladder out first by a surgeon who also does sleeves too so he can look at what I've got and let me know if it is even possible down the road. Or I wonder if it is better to get it done sooner, although I would think a year is enough to get scar tissue from current surgery.

Hope this helps and give me your feedback!

Yes! I am having the same problem, changed from Nexium to Proponix 2xs aday plus the carafate. I have always had acid,but now I am having refux at night, keeping me awake. Also hot flashes, then cold,.The night is not for sleeping anymore!