Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

food feels caught in throat

Ok I am happy with the weight loss and the decreased appetite but at 7 mos I am still rarely hungry, can only eat a few bites and while the acid has gone away I always feel like food is stuck in my throat. I take nexium or prevacid daily and I take reglan for the reflux. It helps a little but I am starting to think something is just not Kosher here. When I had the UGI in Sept it showed a lot of reflux. I always feel like there is gurgling in my espohagus as soon as I eat. I would like to enjoy food once in awhile. I am starting to date again and this is a problem because I cannot even finish a small appetizer. I dread going out to eat. I still drink a Protein Drink every day because liquids go down much easier. when I try to eat a little spaghetti I end up vomiting.

Anyone else still feel this way after 7 months.

I am still never hungry, and some days I don't want to eat so I know how that feels, but I haven't had the acid issues.

Are you taking the Nexium on an empty stomach, and waiting at least 30 minutes before eating? Have you tried taking it twice a day; morning before Breakfast then 2 hours after dinner before bedtime?

Did you have a hernia repair at the same time? Have you had a scope performed to see if you possibly have a slight stricture or hernia?

I can rarely eat spaghetti and if I do, it has to be angel hair Pasta with tons of sauce for it to go down smoothly. I can not eat more dense Pasta noodles like penne, rigatoni, ziti, they all get kind of stuck and just don't work well with me. I still eat small portions, but I'm not in the single, dating world and all my friends know that I've had surgery so I can't help you with that aspect.

I know Prevacid labeling says it can take 3-7 days to kick in, if you're switching between the 2 drugs, it may not be able to give you maximum relief.

I'm just trying to throw out some ideas. I hope you can get some resolution.

Ok I am happy with the weight loss and the decreased appetite but at 7 mos I am still rarely hungry, can only eat a few bites and while the acid has gone away I always feel like food is stuck in my throat. I take nexium or prevacid daily and I take reglan for the reflux. It helps a little but I am starting to think something is just not Kosher here. When I had the UGI in Sept it showed a lot of reflux. I always feel like there is gurgling in my espohagus as soon as I eat. I would like to enjoy food once in awhile. I am starting to date again and this is a problem because I cannot even finish a small appetizer. I dread going out to eat. I still drink a Protein drink every day because liquids go down much easier. when I try to eat a little spaghetti I end up vomiting.

Anyone else still feel this way after 7 months.

I hate to hear that you are having these problems. The weight loss is great but I'm sure it's hard to enjoy when you're struggling to eat on a regular basis. I also take Prevacid and it's the only thing that consistently works for me. But, if I try to cut back on it I have the same symptoms you're having. I agree with Tiff that if you are alternating or just not taking your PPI daily this could be the problem. It only takes two days without it for me to start struggling and 2 days on it for the problems to clear up. It might take longer for others. Or, you might need to try a totally different PPI until you find the right one. I think acid could definitely be your primary problem even though it seems like your acid problem was resolved. But, I"m not sure about the vomitting thing..that could be a different issue.

Do you find that you can eat more at certain times of the day? This is a big issue for me and I have to be mindful that as the day progresses, the looser my sleeve gets and the more I can eat. For others, it's the opposite. But, if I'm nervous or stressed it doesn't matter what time of the day it is - a few bites is my limit. I would imagine that a date situation could cause this type of problem, especially if I'm already self-conscious about how my date would view my eating habits.

I think you should call or schedule a follow up with your surgeon , or PCP if your surgeon is out of state, and get some clarity on what is going on, a recommendation for a PPI regimen if needed, and any followup testing that may be necessary to see if there is a physical problem causing these issues.

I hope things improve for you soon. Please let us know how you are doing.

Wow, so sorry to hear you are still having trouble this far out. I am less than 3 weeks out, so I can't give you any words of wisdom from that perspective. But, I have had patients that had severe reflux and OTC PPI's wouldn't work. You may ask your Dr. about Aciphex. It is an RX for reflux, so it is a bit stronger. Not sure if it is contraindicated with this surgery, but he or she can let you know. I also agree with tiffykins suggestions of 30 minutes before you eat to give it time to work. Good Luck!!

Thanks everyone.

I was taking nexium 40mg twice and then down to once. I had terrible acid and heartburn a few months ago but that went away. I ran out of nexium 2 weeks ago and I started over the counter prevacid which I have been on for 2 weeks and I actually like it better. I think I have to be more regular about taking the reglan before I eat, which I often forget to do. I don't mind not being hungry but I do mind only being able to eat a few bites. Some days I can eat but not many. I do think I can eat more in the evening than in the morning. I also do better when I don't let my stomach get totally empty and keep eating tiny amounts during the day. I was off for 3 weeks because my daughter had a baby and I did better. Being back to work makes it worse. I was eating a more balanced diet when I was off as well. Because I was not on my own and there were meals for a lot of people I could have a tiny bit of veggies, carb and Protein. when I am alone I tend to eat more Protein and not enough veggies which also causes me problems. For awhile I was having terrible pains with bowel movements and even vomiting when I had a bowel movement. None of that in about 4 weeks now.

I will follow up with my PCP and drop Dr. Aceves a line. Yesterday and today were good days I just never know why I have a good day and why I have so many bad days