Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were/are your safe clothes?

My whole life has been a story of fat and thin but one thing that has been consistent is my self image. I have ALWAYS had a complex about my big thighs and for some reason felt more comfortable wearing longer skirts that hid my tree trunks. Now, granted, when I was 21 and weighed around 150, I was not adverse to wearing tight black trousers and the occasional bikini on the beach but this didn't stop me thinking my legs were fat. As I got to about the 200 mark, I began to feel a little 'chunky' in my trousers and switched for flattering, or what I though was flattering skirts.

So I am now 2 weeks post op and sitting around the 270 mark and guess what? I put on my black floaty trousers today and I feel fab. I do know I have a long way to go but I'm starting to see it's not as big of a deal whether I wear skirts or trousers and the only person who feels insecure in trousers is me.

This might sound very silly but I think being of a greek origin, my family has always distributed most of the weight in the hips and thighs. But I'm trying to move away from the way of thinking that inhibits me from living how I want to live.

I don't want to feel confined to a life of long floaty skirts, I want to feel happy in denim jeans. I think as the weight piled on, I just began to feel uncomfortable in the clothes I used to wear and subconsciously swapped them for 'fat frumpy' clothes when I didn't need to. I've started adding more colour to my wardrobe and wearing the things I WANT. I mean, if I don't start feeling good now, I'm not going to suddenly wake up and want to wear jeans or trousers. The weight might have changed but my mind set wouldn't have...so I have made a deal with myself to start dressing the way I WANT to dress NOW. I'm not going to wait any longer until I look good enough to wear fashionable clothes; the time has come to put me before my weight...and hopefully the rest will follow.

thank you if you read this all and I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments. x

I'm a firm believer that looking good in clothes at any size is all about taking the time to choose what flatters your body. If you've ever come across that perfect pair of pants, or watched an episode of "What Not to Wear", you know what I mean. I certainly don't believe that hiding behind super baggy clothes is flattering.

faith, I think it's great that you're embracing your ability to look good in clothes that you previously shied away from. Just wait until your weight REALLY starts to drop. You are going to be out of control - and I mean that in a good way! Just watch your wallet because it's more addictive the smaller you get. I'm in Misses sizes after about 20 years in the women's section and I don't even know how to act. I had to turn to Goodwill or risk going broke. I refuse to live in two or three outfits when I am starting to look so HOT! :lol: ...can't believe I'm starting to thing that way about myself. Anyway, I've had to turn to Goodwill to keep my finances somewhat in order.

I have found that preop, my go-to piece of clothing was the Worthington dress pants line from JCPenney. I could pick up any pair in my size and they fit perfectly. When I put those pants on, I felt so put together and classy looking. I wore them to work religiously and rarely had to Iron them if I took them out of the dryer as soon as it stopped and hung them up. They concealed my abdomen and somehow made my flatish butt look good. If anyone is looking for a good pair of trousers, try these.

http://www2.jcpenney...tId=70656|71640

Some comfortable Shapewear doesn't hurt either...:D

For years I have lived in blue jeans from Catherines and pullover knit shirts. I own three different sizes of jeans--now with my pre-op diet I'm too small for my largest size but not yet in my "skinny" jeans. I am really looking forward to post-op weight loss, so I can get smaller than those "skinny" jeans! I will probably wear the pullover shirts I have until I am swimming in them. I promised myself that when I reach Onederland I will reward myself with New Wardrobe #1, then at goal get NW #2!!

JC Penney has been a lifesaver for me during the losing phase!! I completely agree - the Worthington dress pants seem to be really flattering - and I even have lots of booty!! Lol. I completely agree about dressing for your body - big and baggy just makes you look even bigger than you are, yet too tight accentuates the wrong parts too, so it's about finding a healthy balance! Isn't shopping fun now!! :)

This is a really positive step, I guess sorting our thinking out is much harder than the surgery itself. Well done on striding forward and making such a positive change.

I've been compulsive about Shapewear, and got to the point before sugery that to go out soially, or to go to work I'd wear 3 types of underwear simultaneously to pull me in and push me out in the right places.

I'm only 12 days out, but my clothes are looser, and my shapewear is gathering dust in my drawer!

I'm really lucky as a friend of mine lost lots of weight last year, and we started the same size, so she has clothes in every size which she is donating a bag at a time as I lose a little more - she is saving me a fortune!