Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was your recovery period?

I went back to work after a week.. I think the younger you are, the faster you recover.. I spent 2 days in the hospital, (could of been one, but I stuggled with dehydration) and honestly I could of went back to work a few days later, lol.. I was so bored! I work full-time, and I sit all day, so maybe that helped, but I felt back to 100% by Friday ( I had surgery on a monday)

I'm 48 years old and work in an office. Lots of computer work, but also walking to printer, other offices, meetings, etc. I started back to work today after taking 3 weeks vacation from the date of my surgery. I feel fine, and could have gone back last week. I was really just enjoying sleeping in and relaxing by the fire with my Kindle! My girlfriend came back to work after 1 week!

weight.png

My recovery period was pretty quick, in fact, my wife and I went into the beautiful Ozark Mountains and hiked 3 miles a week after I was released from the hospital. I went back to work after a week and three days from my release. For me, I had to go back to work because I love what I do and didn't want to miss any time. Also, I have an office position and am far removed from physical labor. My wife, who is a physical rehab nurse, took off 4 weeks. Due to weight restrictions, she had to have the time off and it took her another two weeks before she felt completely comfortable with her normal work routine.

On my one week follow-up visit, my surgeon gave me a complete pass for any physical activity and removed my weight restrictions. My wife, who had the same surgeon almost three weeks before me, kept her on her weight restrictions and advised her to stay home as long as she could. Like many posts on this board, everyone's experience will be different. I think most will agree that the pain really is minimal from the surgery, so don't let that be a "mental" deterrent.

Thanks everyone! I know it's all relative and depends upon how each person is doing individually, but it's good to have a ballpark range. I was just wondering if 2 weeks was a realistic goal to set for myself as long as I'm doing well with eating and pain.

Thanks Meangene, you have put my mind at ease. I realize everyone is different, but I hope to have a simple transition back to work, knowing myself I think I will.

My recovery period was pretty quick, in fact, my wife and I went into the beautiful Ozark Mountains and hiked 3 miles a week after I was released from the hospital. I went back to work after a week and three days from my release. For me, I had to go back to work because I love what I do and didn't want to miss any time. Also, I have an office position and am far removed from physical labor. My wife, who is a physical rehab nurse, took off 4 weeks. Due to weight restrictions, she had to have the time off and it took her another two weeks before she felt completely comfortable with her normal work routine.

On my one week follow-up visit, my surgeon gave me a complete pass for any physical activity and removed my weight restrictions. My wife, who had the same surgeon almost three weeks before me, kept her on her weight restrictions and advised her to stay home as long as she could. Like many posts on this board, everyone's experience will be different. I think most will agree that the pain really is minimal from the surgery, so don't let that be a "mental" deterrent.

Haven't had surgery yet, but when I met with my surgeon, he recommended at least 2-3 weeks. He said I would be recovered enough in a week to go back but because of all the metabolic changes I will be going through and learning to drink/eat in a whole new way, it would be advisable to give myself 3 weeks. I have four weeks saved up, and I can do some things at home so I will decide after a couple of weeks whether to take 3 or 4.

I guess it all just depends on the patient and surgeon.

Lisa

I'm a teacher and I took 4 weeks. I'm 3 weeks today and feel totally fine :)

I was Sleeved on Jan 11 and I went back to work today the 24....9 working days for me is what I was off but had two weekends in there that helped! LOL I'm tired but that is just because I'm still on a liquid diet...I am doing Soups. I have an office job but walking to the printer made me tired but it gave me exercise!

Had surgery on Thursday was back at work full-time on Tuesday. I work in an office...up and down to printers, copiers, meetings etc.