Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

I agree PEvette! Kudos ladies!

Just love reading the responses to that ignorant comment made by her....kept it informational and classy...

well done ladies...

It was a question nothing more. I just think there should be any desperation is what I was referring too. I realize long ago they needed to do that just not sure why they feel they still need to now. All the answers where very good ones and no one put anyone down....it's call free speech not ignorant. I appreciate all the respectful responses it was a question simple as that!!

It was a question nothing more. I just think there should be any desperation is what I was referring too. I realize long ago they needed to do that just not sure why they feel they still need to now. All the answers where very good ones and no one put anyone down....it's call free speech not ignorant. I appreciate all the respectful responses it was a question simple as that!!

Long ago wasn't that long ago and unfortunately the need still does exist. I am not racist by any means but I have to say that a lot of the Caucasians of my age 32 really do believe that racism is a thing of the past and those who think this because they are white and don't notice. My own husband is guilty of this we are an interracial couple and he really forgets racism exists until he sees me treated in a way different to the way people treat him and it was really bad when we were in Australia.I would love to say it doesn't exist any more and these schools,clubs etc aren't necessary but even where I am from in California it just is not so. When you aren't the experiencing it then how do you know it is over?

Ok ladies I am not sure if everyone already addressed this but I am wondering if there is a Pre surgery plan of attack to prevent hairloss?I haven't had a relaxer since 2007 so I am 99% natural (I still have a few straight ends) I still occasionally use a flat Iron but I figure that will have to stop after surgery...Any supplements you recommend? My hair is long and I would like to keep it that way,it is fairly thick but I feel like I already lose a lot in the shower washing every 10 days and I haven't had surgery yet. I should be getting sleeved in November...

Ok ladies I am not sure if everyone already addressed this but I am wondering if there is a Pre surgery plan of attack to prevent hairloss?I haven't had a relaxer since 2007 so I am 99% natural (I still have a few straight ends) I still occasionally use a flat Iron but I figure that will have to stop after surgery...Any supplements you recommend? My hair is long and I would like to keep it that way' date='it is fairly thick but I feel like I already lose a lot in the shower washing every 10 days and I haven't had surgery yet. I should be getting sleeved in November...[/quote']

I havent been sleeved yet, and i have short hair but I have read that Biotin should be used. Im not scheduled until December, but I plan to begin supplements next month. I hope this helps!

What would you say if I wanted to start just an all white sleeves group. Wouldn't that be racist. Why can you guys make groups clubs colleges etc just for blacks and it's not racist but an all white college etc would be racist. Just a question?

I understand where you are coming from. On the surface it come off racist. Usually participating in something that is color or ethnicity oriented is not for me. So I can only explain why I subscribe to this thread as a black person.

The first reason to see if anyone post before and after pictures. Black women for the most part are build different than other races. Wide hips and big butts is common. I have a pear shape, which I HATE, and wanted to look at women with my stats to see how they look at certain weights. Than is the hair thing. A lot of concern to most black women. While I wasn't worried because I know Hair loss will happen I just wanted to see if there is a difference. So far, in my opinion, its not. It's really a curiosity thing rather than anything else for me but MAINLY a body type interest. I visit the Austrailian thread and the Latino one too even though I'm a American and not Hispanic. They both have interesting topics to me.

On another note whites are the majority so most mainstream things are geared toward them in mind. That's why, IMO, they don't have need for subgroups like minorities.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST

Long ago wasn't that long ago and unfortunately the need still does exist. I am not racist by any means but I have to say that a lot of the Caucasians of my age 32 really do believe that racism is a thing of the past and those who think this because they are white and don't notice. My own husband is guilty of this we are an interracial couple and he really forgets racism exists until he sees me treated in a way different to the way people treat him and it was really bad when we were in Australia.I would love to say it doesn't exist any more and these schools' date='clubs etc aren't necessary but even where I am from in California it just is not so. When you aren't the experiencing it then how do you know it is over?[/quote']

I agree that racism is denied by white ppl even though it's still exist. That being said they not the only ones. A lot of black and Mexican ppl I know are just as prejudice but don't see it because they don't believe minorities can be aganist white. I was fortunate enough to be on the military where interracial relationships are common. Most didn't care about me dating every race there was, lol. I'm sorry you experience that. The only time I ever aware of it was when me and my boyfriend was deployed together. He made reference to my black male friends not liking him because he was dating me. Said they need to respect him anyway. I had no idea anything was going on. So it can go either way. From my experience some whites stare or avoid contact but blacks get vocal. Most be from women too. I get the need for identity social groups but no one should feel unwelcome nor obligated because of a factor like skin color which they had no say in.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST

I agree that racism is denied by white ppl even though it's still exist. That being said they not the only ones. A lot of black and Mexican ppl I know are just as prejudice but don't see it because they don't believe minorities can be aganist white. I was fortunate enough to be on the military where interracial relationships are common. Most didn't care about me dating every race there was' date=' lol. I'm sorry you experience that. The only time I ever aware of it was when me and my boyfriend was deployed together. He made reference to my black male friends not liking him because he was dating me. Said they need to respect him anyway. I had no idea anything was going on. So it can go either way. From my experience some whites stare or avoid contact but blacks get vocal. Most be from women too. I get the need for identity social groups but no one should feel unwelcome nor obligated because of a factor like skin color which they had no say in.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST[/quote']

We are a Military Family too and it is not amongst other military families where I have experienced racism it has been outside the military community. I know that racism isn't just white against others. I have racist family members.My point was that most of the people that I know claiming that racism isn't a problem anymore are white and they make these claims because they are not experiencing it...I have a lot of experience with racism from all races being mixed . I have had my African american family members say things and my Asian family members make comments.I have things from my inlaws. I have people black and white be rude and think I can't speak English here in Texas because they think I am Mexican lol. Having experienced all of this it irks me when people deny that Racism is alive and well in the USA which is why I responded when she said we don't need black colleges or clubs etc anymore...

Anyone's surgeon have a crazy sounding goal weight for them? I am scared that my surgeon will set mine at 110 or something crazy like that.. I am 5'2 but I plan on keeping some booty and breasts I do not want to be stick thin... I am thinking 135...

Anyone's surgeon have a crazy sounding goal weight for them? I am scared that my surgeon will set mine at 110 or something crazy like that.. I am 5'2 but I plan on keeping some booty and breasts I do not want to be stick thin... I am thinking 135...

No matter what my surgeon listed as his goal, I have my own and will strive for that. It is all about my comfort zone since most weight charts do not take body differences into consideration and we all know that they exist.

My surgeon didn't give me a specific weight goal, but he did tell me to try and lose 30 lbs before surgery, I don't know if I did or not, but my jeans felt a little looser, I could barely button them. I haven't been sleeved yet, but I'm to go in next week on the 27 :) I am compiling a master list of things I need to do buy, and I was wondering what to do for my hair as well, I haven't had a relaxer or texturizer for almost a year and a half. I'm completely natural now, what should I do to my hair? I thought about getting a sew-in or doing some cornrows, losing hair really bothers me and I'm hoping with my texture, if any major thinning happens, I'll be able to camo it with a fro, or if all else fails, I'm always shopping for a another lace front LOL Winter is coming anyway! :lol:

Hey guys, I'm a 58 y/o AA female and was banded in '09. Now I need to have the band taken out and wondering about the sleeve. I hear only good things about it and will be talking to my surgeon soon. I only have another 50 lbs that I would like to lose but once the band is out, I'm sure most or all of my weight will pile back on. Therefore, I need to do this ASAP before that happens. Has anyone converted from the band?

Hey guys, I'm a 58 y/o AA female and was banded in '09. Now I need to have the band taken out and wondering about the sleeve. I hear only good things about it and will be talking to my surgeon soon. I only have another 50 lbs that I would like to lose but once the band is out, I'm sure most or all of my weight will pile back on. Therefore, I need to do this ASAP before that happens. Has anyone converted from the band?

There is a whole section of the forum devoted to just this issue. Check out http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/13-band-to-gastric-sleeve-revisions/

No matter what my surgeon listed as his goal, I have my own and will strive for that. It is all about my comfort zone since most weight charts do not take body differences into consideration and we all know that they exist.

I'm with you on that. I lost nearly 50lbs with the band that is no longer working. I lost the booty then, and now I want the sleeve to help me lose the other 50 lbs. I'm hoping I wont lose the boobs too but I doubt it. The legs where history before losing anything. According to my Dr., I need to lose another 70 lbs.

Hello all. I live in florence SC. Just got sleeved on sept 18th. Everything went well. I should be going home today. The only thing I noticed is that I now have acid reflux again. Is that normal? When will it stop?