Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

I am not looking forward to "certain" extended family members finding out about the surgery bc they seem to thrive off of discrediting people. Been mentally rehearsing ignoring their ignorance.

I am a very social person, easily recognised locally and I am sure people will will be asking me what I did to loose the weight. I don't necessarily want to keep it secret afterwards but not looking forward to someone telling me that I did nothing but lye on the operation table.

I have had some of the same issues. My best friend is against the surgery. I was originally scheduled for Feb 7' date=' 2013 but in Jan I had a blood clot in my lung. So surgery was postponed until my vascular Dr. Released my. My mom also was against the surgery. My mom had several strokes in March and April and passed away in May. I am finally scheduled for Oct. 22. I have not told my best friend because she was so against my decision earlier. I have told my children and my two cousins that will be supportive. I definitely want this to improve my life and my health. My BMI is 44 and I weigh 264. Not good![/quote']

Sending prayers your way for your upcoming surgery!

I am not looking forward to "certain" extended family members finding out about the surgery bc they seem to thrive off of discrediting people. Been mentally rehearsing ignoring their ignorance. I am a very social person' date=' easily recognised locally and I am sure people will will be asking me what I did to loose the weight. I don't necessarily want to keep it secret afterwards but not looking forward to someone telling me that I did nothing but lye on the operation table.[/quote']

I totally understand where u r coming from...some people just like to hear themselves talk and others r just miserable...hopefully, u won't encounter too many!

Folks we all know how strong we r jst to make the decision. I wb 1 yr out on the 29th and I tell people I am on a Protein program I hve to exercise drink Water I hve a doc and nut. And its hard but the grace of god is my success. That's my story and I am sticking to it oddly enough I hve motivated people. I believe it is no ones concern some knew b4 others knew during and some still wonder its up to u. Most cannot handle the truth b blessed

Hello all I am 2 months post op. I would like to know can you tell when your body need Protein? Yesterday around 5pm I started getting a head ache and as the day progress it got worse. I took Tylenol and that did not help .Get to work this morning and decided to drink a Protein Shake and the headache went away instantly. Have this ever happen to any of you. I try and drink a protein shake everyday yesterday I did not drink one.

I think your body needs protein all the time. are you asking when do you know your physically hungry.. that's much harder to know. I've learned to eat on a planned schedule then allow myself the occasional protein based snack. Anything in between the scheduled times to eat is head hunger and try to avoid that. Any one agree?

I think your body needs Protein all the time. are you asking when do you know your physically hungry.. that's much harder to know. I've learned to eat on a planned schedule then allow myself the occasional protein based snack. Anything in between the scheduled times to eat is head hunger and try to avoid that. Any one agree?

I agree. I was told to eat protien first.

Very inspiring you make me want to keep working knowing I'm not alone in this experience!

Thats what we are here for... To inspire, encourage, and cheer eacj other on through our transformations....

Very inspiring you make me want to keep working knowing I'm not alone in this experience!

Thats what we are here for... To inspire, encourage, and cheer each other on through our transformations....

Hey hey sisters! How's everyone?

i started taking Biotin a few months ago as a 'Just in case'. I'm scheduled for October 21. I was told as long as you get your Protein in you shouldn't have problems with hair loss.

I was told the same thing from my nutritionist to current sleevers. Taking your Protein every single is the key. God blessings!

I was told the same thing from my nutritionist to current sleevers. Taking your Protein every single is the key. God blessings!
was also told that whey protein isolate should be the protein of choice.

I used neosporin...3wks post op and not visible.

Wow...my best friend is starting to say things that leads me to believe maybe I shouldn't have told her about my plans. I have only told her' date=' my adult daughter and my boyfriend. (Decided not to tell my mom the exact details as to not worry her,so I said I am having hernia repair instead-- hated to not be 100% truthful with my momma,but I know our relationship). My 23 yo daughter has been so supportive, my boyfriend who is also a plus size guy is supportive, but has on occasion made comments to shoe his hesitantancy because I think he may fear what this decision will do to us...but he has NOTHING to worry about on my end. And if it does change our relationship,hr is a boyfriend and I would chock it up to him not being the man for me... So that leaves my BFF (who is not heavy) ..initially she seemed excited for me, but of late she says in a negative tone "aren't you being deceptive if your not going to tell others how you are going to tackle your weight issues"? And I am a little down about her lack of whole hearted support...in the end I k ow it's my decision for me,but it just hurts that even before I have had the surgery ppl are already showing thier inability to support. Sorry to be long winded on this issue,but my feelings are hurt :-([/quote']

Sweetheart I fully understand your reasoning for discretion and privacy as I only told my eldest child and BFF as well. I kind of lucked up (not really) because I have to have 2 surgeons at my surgery a separate one to remove a very large cyst from my belly that is causing problems and they are doing that at the same time as my sleeve....so THAT is the surgery everyone knows about. They have no idea of the other stuff. I just didn't need the negativity and crazy looks. My family would seriously go bananas with this info. Plus ITS NOBODY'S BUSINESS!!!! So I am good with keeping this personal decision close to my heart. I will be in the hospital 5 Days because of my double procedure. I'm hoping all that time there will make recovery easier..a little but anyway.

On another note it sounds to me like your BFF knows how beautiful you ALREADY are and is a bit intimidated by how super fine you're about to be, so just in case you start to get all of the attention she is preparing to blow your spot up..be careful...I read on this forum that someone's BFF embarrassed them in a room fill of ppl at a birthday party when they wouldn't have a piece of cake. If you have to threaten her life...Lol! You know but in that BFF kind of way.

I pray all goes well for you. My date is 10/23. My BMI is now 34.5 (list some weight since this journey started in January 2013) and so I get it all the time that I don't need surgery..ppl are a trip. I tell them limp a day in my shoes..2 knee surgeries, high BP, sleep Apnea, Bursitis, and Back problems. I know what I need and so did insurance. I was approved in September.

XOXO look forward to meeting you on the losers bench!!!!