Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hello all, I've been lurking and lurking.. Well I want to know. I was all up for RNY until I went to the seminar, I switched to the sleeve and I'm thinking that's the best decision no rerouting of intestines less complications etc. But he never mentioned GERD!! I do not have any acid reflux whatsoever, but I don't want to deal with that it's making me want to back out altogether. But I've never wanted something this bad in my life I'm 26 years old, I want to enjoy the rest of my twenties slimmer I've been fat my whole entire life.. I'm tired! Does every experience gerd with the sleeve? I'm not getting and don't want rny ...
Sent from my LGLS675 using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on 6/1/17 & other than the gas monster after surgery I have been pain free with zero indigestion. I was truly afraid pre surgery but now I'm 6 weeks out and I feel like a million bucks[emoji6]
HW: 250
SW: 246
Cw: 219
Gw: 180

Sent from my S8+ using BariatricPal mobile app[emoji41]

Hello everyone , I am AA women living in Midwest . I'm having my sergury at NW w Dr Nagle.
I met with the ANP today and found out the process takes 6 months and I will only loss 60% of my weight which is 60lbs .Yup ????I was hoping for at least 80 -100 lbs she said with diet and exercise I can lose more weight.
I'm 54yrs old weigh 260 lbs I have Hypothyroidism , Back pain. But to go though all of this and only get down to 200lbs , I don't know , it's seems like it's not worth it. I m not going to give up. So am going to try and lose a little weight before my sergury , I have 5 month so hopefully I can lose 10-15lbs . lbs. I am very unhappy with my body I carry most of weight in my breast , stomach and arms .
I wont be discourage .
Take care .
Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

You can do it just stay positive

Hello all, I've been lurking and lurking.. Well I want to know. I was all up for RNY until I went to the seminar, I switched to the sleeve and I'm thinking that's the best decision no rerouting of intestines less complications etc. But he never mentioned GERD!! I do not have any acid reflux whatsoever, but I don't want to deal with that it's making me want to back out altogether. But I've never wanted something this bad in my life I'm 26 years old, I want to enjoy the rest of my twenties slimmer I've been fat my whole entire life.. I'm tired! Does every experience gerd with the sleeve? I'm not getting and don't want rny ...
Sent from my LGLS675 using the BariatricPal App

What is gerd

I have to take Prilosec daily for it.. if not I feel like I'm on fire and the burning is just horrible.

Hello All! Im new this site. Im a 62 yr old AA california women. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 1, 2017. My current weight is 211. My goal weight is to get no smaller than 160-150 range, otherwise I would look sickly. I noticed this site has been around since 2011 with over 450 comments. Due time Im not able to read most of the comments. However, im happy to read the issues we face as an AA culture that others may not have dell with! I too am not looking forward to loosing my hair. Its long but is thin & i wear it mostlr natural. I have to tame the gray hair around my edges by using a little relaxer but otherwise im natural. I guess that comes with old age! I have 1 daughter who was sleeved 2 months ago & she said her hair is getting thicker! But she has worn her hair short & natural since b4 her surgery. But my younger Sister had her sleeve done 8 months ago & has experienced lost hair. Its just now starting to grow back but she has come to love the short hair look! Im not sure if I or my husband ( of 43 yrs) would want me to wear my hair short after surgery!
Im looking forward to reading more experiences on this AA site hopefully some from Cali as well! Bye, Bye for now!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

@niseys4

Everyone obsesses over the Hair loss but it is really such a small part of this. The weight loss opens so many doors and you feel so much better, the hair does not matter.

So glad i found this discussion forum. After the 3 month process, I received insurance approval yesterday. Waiting to get my surgery date. Excited and nervous but looking forward to continuing the journey toward a healthier (and smaller) me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you outsidematchinside! Its good to know about the hair issue! Like meeseemcmeesee, im not opposed to wearing wigs if it comes to that. Im having my surgery mostly to get rid of my diabetes & losing the weight is a Big bonus!😁

@niseys4

I love wearing wigs. It has opened a whole new world to me. I keep my hair braided and I can workout be active whatever. And then when I am dressed I wear wigs. I have several and it makes like easy and getting dressed fun. I'm not sure I will ever stop wearing them.

You sound like my youngest daughter!! Her is past her shoulders but she prefers to wearx wigs!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

You will look great mom no matter how you wear your hair. You have such a beautiful soul, no one will even notice any Hair loss, if it even happens.I love you.

I don't know if there's a more current thread for AA sleevers/bypassers but I figured I'd say hello.

I am Day 3 of my pre-op diet. Surgery Day May 15th. I grew up on specific types of food so i'm looking for support and even more bariatric friendly versions of AA Soul Food.

Edited by TheJuice202

Hey all!

I just found this thread. Thanks for starting it.

I had gastric bypass surgery on April 8th.

I loved reading through and hearing about everyone's success.

I am just at the start of my journey but things have been going well.