Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hi Friends! I am new to the group and got sleeved on June 30th. Going back to work on Monday, this should be interesting :)

Welcome!

What I know so far...I am about 8 weeks post op what I know today is that it seems like I can eat less than I could a couple of weeks ago and I am not complaining...sugar is not good with me, which is also good, I feel sick and lightheaded...getting all my recommended Protein is manageable as long as I drink a Protein Shake in the morning...coffee has been my friend for constipation(TMI I know) but I only drink a cup a day and its the half decaf...I am a revised sleeve so I know my weight loss will be slower than virgin sleevers is what my surgeon told me so I have stayed off the scale, did get on the scale a couple of days ago and I had a five pound weight loss (I only know because I saw my doctor last week...I go by my clothes and am so pleased that I am fitting back into all my old clothes that had become too tight, even had a belt with my size 14 capris!! I am satisfied with the sleeve I wish I had it four years ago instead of the band. I don't let two days in row pass without going to the gym or to the park to walk...my goal jogging for a mile...lastly one more bite of something can make a huge difference, I learned the hard way and had to vomit, was very disappointed in myself because I dealt with the vomiting so much with the band...I am learning my new stomach I now know to stop even before the full feeling...best wishes and keep going to all sleevers!!

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi everyone, I have a question I had my surgery on 7/3/14 I doing great feel good and I've been doing a lot of walking I'm down 22 pounds including my pre-op diet. Now my question is did anyone start the next phase of their diet be4 it was time to? And do you think that effected your weight. I know I have started to eat meat and wonder if that's why I only lost 22 pounds only 12 since surgery please give information about your journey

Hi everyone, I have a question I had my surgery on 7/3/14 I doing great feel good and I've been doing a lot of walking I'm down 22 pounds including my pre-op diet. Now my question is did anyone start the next phase of their diet be4 it was time to? And do you think that effected your weight. I know I have started to eat meat and wonder if that's why I only lost 22 pounds only 12 since surgery please give information about your journey

Hi Everyone

I am revising from Lap Band to sleeve. my date is August 4th. Looking forward to this journey.

Hello Everyone,

I have a surgery date for July 28, 2014. I have to be on Optifast for 2 weeks, I'm on day 2 and it is so hard. My question is does it get any easier to manage the hunger while on this liquid diet. All I am allowed to have is 5 OPTIFAST shakes daily, Water, SF Jello, a Crystal Light. :wacko:

Good Luck!!!!

Hi Everyone

I am revising from Lap Band to sleeve. my date is August 4th. Looking forward to this journey.

I think the main reason you need to stick with the phases is for the proper healing of the sleeve than anything else. Certain foods can get caught in the stitches or irritate the surgery area, or could pull the seam where the stomach was cut. For instance, trying to eat apples with the skin, the skin can get caught. Since the digestive system was not changed due to the surgery, it may not affect your weight loss, but the portions and the types of food that you eat now very well could affect your progress. Let everything heal first, before trying to eat regularly again.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm didn't stray to far off my diet I just rushed alil in to the next week instead of staying on track but I did much better today.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm didn't stray to far off my diet I just rushed alil in to the next week instead of staying on track but I did much better today.

I didn't veer too far off of what I was told- your stomach has to heal. The day before I was supposed to, I was so nauseated even at the thought of another shake and so weak I broke down and had a few spoons of Malto Meal (which after a few weeks of not having food was hands down the most delicious thing I've ever eaten). It was enough to make me dance a jig in my kitchen :) Other than that I followed all the rules. If you've lost 12 lbs in 12 days that's amazing. You're saying "I've only lost this much"- when else would you lose that much in such a short time? I know it's hard not to just focus on the scale but you have to give your body a chance to adjust and heal. Not counting month one when I was healing, I recall losing approximately 3-4 lbs a week with some weeks not losing anything even gaining and then other weeks losing 6-7 lbs (mind you I'm speaking in weeks not daily weights). I also would not just look at lbs- take pictures. Put them side by side with one of those collage apps you can download and check out the difference. Every week you will see a change in yourself- it's almost like it happens over night. It's pretty amazing- enjoy it!!

I think the main reason you need to stick with the phases is for the proper healing of the sleeve than anything else. Certain foods can get caught in the stitches or irritate the surgery area, or could pull the seam where the stomach was cut. For instance, trying to eat apples with the skin, the skin can get caught. Since the digestive system was not changed due to the surgery, it may not affect your weight loss, but the portions and the types of food that you eat now very well could affect your progress. Let everything heal first, before trying to eat regularly again.

Wise like Yoda, BryBro is. Listen to him you will.

Yeah, I'm a total nerd with the Yodaspeak there. But really, you'll be on to soft solids soon enough. I know I was never so happy as when they said we could have soft solids like lunch meat.

Hello everyone,

Im about 10 weeks out now and my weightloss has really slowed down to 1-2 lbs per week with a stall here and there. I keep my carbs low and I don't always hit my Protein goal of 70 but Im usually at 50-65. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!