Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

I have yet to be sleeved, but have had a Lap Band since 2009. The band is also a restrictive procedure that makes it difficult to get Protein and may result in Hair loss. I never experienced any, so I am not worried with the sleeve. I am going to focus on a high protein diet and take the Multi-Vitamin and Calcium supplements, but I want to avoid taking anymore supplements if I can. I am spending my time now looking for high protein meal options other than shakes and meat. I love to cook, so it should be fun.

I have been natural for about 6 years and I love it. Having natural hair may be beneficial since it has not been broken down by any chemicals and is somewhat stronger than processed hair. But I don't know if the follicles are even affected by relaxer or dyes so everyone may be equally prone.

Sounds like you are ready.. woohoo good luck.

Hi ladies! This was a great idea, I was sleeved on 2/10 but I'm losing weight slowly. hair is starting to this at the temple so I'm going to try Biotin and hair infinity Vitamins.

That is what I am taking and I think it is working been taking for a couple of weeks

Biotin made my hair grow all over my body. Needless to say, it works.

I have attached a pic of some hair, nails & skin Vitamins w/biotin that that my doc suggested.

attachicon.gif:

[ATTACH]43143[/ATTACH]

I puréed mainly turkey meatballs, deli turkey and chicken breast or deli chicken breast. I bought a mini food processor from Walmart to use since the amounts were so small. Not absolutely necessary if you have a blender, but I was pureeing like 2 meatballs at a time. Everything has to be very very moist, so I made sure not to overcook anything. My crockpot was great for this. I made basic seasoned meatballs and used them in different ways (with gravy, taco flavored, etc). If I liked something, I ate it until I was sick of it and then changed it up. I also researched puréed diets on the internet and tried some recipes. I would just make really small amounts of things because in the beginning, you really don't eat much. I could only eat a tablespoon or 2 (you may have a different capacity because my doctor is known to do a very small sleeve). Good luck to you :)

Thank u. Did u have any veggies with it?
I would have baby veggies with added seasoning since they're already puréed :) those were my main sources of Protein in my puréed phase which was not very long so I didn't vary much so as not to get sick or have any vomiting issues with my new stomach. And yes 2 small meatballs would absolutely fill me up. Most times I didn't even eat that. Some people told me that they could drink a full standard bottle of Water a couple months postop and I still can only take at most 7 swallows before I feel the constriction and have to wait a couple minutes before drinking more. My sleeve is very small. I could barely see it when I did my leak test postop. I love it because I know over time it will stretch and be a good capacity for the rest of my life and now in the losing phase it's perfect.

Edited by back2barb78

Hi ATL girl! You could be right about the differences in surgercial outcomes. I know first hand of a few differences as it relates to health. I have experieced cultural issues as it relates to my own healthcare. If I wear my hair too short I suffer from Pseudofolliculitis Barbae (hair bumps and scars that occur mostly in African Americans). There are varying degrees despite the hype alcohol and OTC products don't always work. I got really frustrated after seeing 3 dermatologists and none of them could help me with any creams or pills they gave me. All of them were awesome Dr's who had great bedside manner, but they were all Cacasian. Finally I felt I needed to travel out ot the area. I went to the National Medical Association's website to see if I could find an African American Dermatologist. There was one about 60 miles away. I went to him and immediately he recognized the condition which he said is common in African Americans and Hispanics because of the curl pattern we tend to have in our hair. He wrote a script that I had to take to a small phramacy because it had to be mixed by hand. I told him about my issue he said all of the Dr's I went to were great physicans, but most were probably trained trained in an area where there was a disproportionate number of African Americans, one he knew for certain came from Iowa. He also explained a few other skin differences. He told me that skin cancer is vey rare in African Americans because of our melanin. However when we get it our survival rate is very slim compared to Caucasians because if we get it it is a rare and much more aggressive form. When I was in undergrad I completed an internship at the National Institiutes of Health. I found out that transplant recipients who are African American in most cases have to receive a slightly higher dosage of anti-rejection drugs because our bodies respond differently. We can still learn allot from each other despite our background. I joined Vertical Sleeve Talk last week, everyone is so resourceful and I have seen so much I never knew much about. I am in the beginning stage of all of this I went to a seminar recently wanting a lapband and came out wanting the Vertical Sleeve. I have a consult with my surgeon on 2/14. I do know my insurance company covers the switch, bypass, lap band, and sleeve. The coordiator has already got the ball rolling on that, wish me well.

That is what I am taking and I think it is working been taking for a couple of weeks

Looks like I'll be buying some Biotin and extra razors....;)

I would have baby veggies with added seasoning since they're already puréed :) those were my main sources of Protein in my puréed phase which was not very long so I didn't vary much so as not to get sick or have any vomiting issues with my new stomach. And yes 2 small meatballs would absolutely fill me up. Most times I didn't even eat that. Some people told me that they could drink a full standard bottle of Water a couple months postop and I still can only take at most 7 swallows before I feel the constriction and have to wait a couple minutes before drinking more. My sleeve is very small. I could barely see it when I did my leak test postop. I love it because I know over time it will stretch and be a good capacity for the rest of my life and now in the losing phase it's perfect.

Thank u so much. I didnt have a leak test & i dont no when im full. Last night i had 2 bites of hubby homemade hamburger on toasted bread, it went down great after i was still hungry (it was 1:30 am) i just went to be. Frustrated this morning im 11 days out & im up 1.8. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks so much. I never had the leak test. Im feeling a bit frustrated, im 11days out & im up 1.8. I also dont no how to tell when im full. Last night i had 2 bites of hubby homemade hamburger on toast, it went down well. Cant wait to get pass the liquids.< /p>

Thanks so much. I never had the leak test. Im feeling a bit frustrated, im 11days out & im up 1.8. I also dont no how to tell when im full. Last night i had 2 bites of hubby homemade hamburger on toast, it went down well. Cant wait to get pass the liquids.

So glad I'm not the only one who was tempted to splurge early on. I'm 6 days postop and can't wait to start on Protein Shakes. I'm AA also and have lost 5 lbs so far.

Thank u so much. I didnt have a leak test & i dont no when im full. Last night i had 2 bites of hubby homemade hamburger on toasted bread, it went down great after i was still hungry (it was 1:30 am) i just went to be. Frustrated this morning im 11 days out & im up 1.8. What am i doing wrong?

You're too early in the process to be too concerned about the scale. Even though you can't help but weigh yourself, you've got to remember not only did you have weight loss surgery, but you had surgery period! Your body is going through a period of the inflammatory process and healing. I'm not sure about the hunger aspect because I honestly have not experienced hunger since my surgery. I know I need to eat, but I haven't been hungry since October. What I will say is that you shouldn't be eating any regular food this early if doctor hasn't said it's ok. It seems a bit early. I don't remember having regular food for at least 3 weeks and most def no bread. Follow docs instructions because introducing regular food too early can cause problems and complications you don't want. You have fresh staples, sutures (depending on your surgeons preference) in your stomach girl!! And too just because something goes down well the first time doesn't mean it will the next time. There will be times later when your diet advances you will eat something you've eaten repeatedly and it just won't agree with you and it'll come back up or just plain won't "sit well" on your stomach. It's so hard to be patient in the beginning and you will still get on the scale and go WTF?, but the loss will come :)

Hello all I was sleeved August 2013 feeling great my starting weight was 223lbs current weight 143lbs my goal weight is 138 lbs so I'm almost there the only problem that I'm having is Hair loss any body know of anything I can take/do for this I do take a multi Vitamin and recently start taking a prenatal Vitamins even though I'm not pregnant just don't know what else I can do for hair loss HELP PLEASE LOL!