Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

My surgery is Tuesday, April 1st.. I am so greatful to have this opportunity at living an active, healthy, life. Im 5'3 and weigh 225#. I do carry it well and still manage to find great clothes that compliment my " thick" frame. My bf just had his surgery yesterday and thankfully he has had no complications.. except the occasional traveling gas pain. This journey will have great moments along with those " wth did I get myself into" moments. I believe if you stay positive you will have positive results... good luck and congratulations to everyone!! :-) :-)

post-184522-0-25331300-1395950090_thumb.png

[ATTACH]42807[/ATTACH]

Well it has been 7 month on 29th of this month. I have lost a total of 80 pounds and feeling really good about it. I am really working on trying to workout to get this skin under control. It is really starting to look lose and feel jiggly. I can see some real difference in my clothes but for me when I look in the mirror I still see the same person before the surgery. I hear everyone telling me how they see my changes happening but I still see a fat face and thick in all the wrong places. I am working through the issues that wont allow me to see the changes and start to feel good about my accomplishments so far.

People who knew you heavier dont all seem to be happy that you are changing your life for the better and cant find it in themselves to mention that you are looking better or healthier. I find joy when I look at them and see a little hater in them but loving me for being the one that they are hating on. I am doing this for me and no one else so it makes it all the better.

So this is how I am feeling today, I am loving the skin I am in!!!!

I will have to post pics later due to they are not on my computer at work.

I can totally agree with you and how you feel. I had started forcing my husband to go so that its not me that holds him back. I was always trying to find something to wear that I didnt embarrass him or myself. When women I was out with would talk about weight I would try to make joke about my weight so they did not have a chance too. I dont know if they did or not but I would use that as a defense tactic. I had to stop wearing heels due to my arthritis in my knees so it was not fun to go out. But with this surgery I have started to buy a piece here and there but no major shopping due to I dont want to have to throw clothes away or give away. So, I would shop at Dots to have cute pieces but cheap. I have worn heeled boots and felt really good. I am not wearing really high heels yet but I plan to go to the store to see if I can walk in them because my knees dont hurt as much anymore but with the exercise they tend to sometimes but I have to say it is all worth it.

I'm April 15...I'm soooo nervous, but I look forward to getting this weight off 5'4 243lbs..never been this big. Not even in my 9 months of both pregnancy. I feel so uncomfortable and ashamed of my weight. I have been avoiding going out as much as possible. .I m so ready to enjoy life. .can anyone relate to what I'm feeling?

I can most certainly relate. I'm 4'11 and weight 259. My husband is a very social person but I tend to hold him back b/c I'm not comfortable going out and being seen. I'm always thinking people are looking at me and judging me about my weight. It's also hard to go on outings with some of his friends and they bring their girlfriends/wives and they're are like sticks but they sit around and talk about how fat they are! That's hard for me because if they are weighing less than 140 and consider themselves fat I hate to think what they call me...I'm so ready for this surgery so that I can begin to enjoy life again and allow my husband to do the same.

I'm planning a meet up soon at my salon located in the south loop if your interested in coming please msg me your email, the meet up is for those who have had surgery and those who haven't yet, it would be a great way to motivate each other since often times it's hard to tell friends and family...We can clothes swap and share tip and recipes....msg me

Jealous! I want to come!

Should I feel like a failure only losing 64 pounds including pre op diet in 7months?

Ummm no! That's 64 pounds that would still be there had you done NOTHING at all. I'm sure it makes a huge difference health wise! Congrats!

I got my first appointment with my surgeon on 4/11/14. I have Kaiser-Mid Atlantic...anyone else? I'm just dying to know what else will be required. I'm so anxious.

Hello all! I am new to this site, and glad I came across this thread! I just had my surgery 3/21/14. I heard these first few weeks would be hard, and so far, yes it sucks, but it's manageable. Plus, I keep thinking of the bigger picture, and know it's worth it.

I am a weave wearer and wonder if the Hair loss has caused any difference for those who wear weaves. From what I read, if I keep my Protein up I should be fine, but I'm just curious on the weave front if anyone had noticed a difference.

-Chanlissa

Hi everyone! I was sleeved December 19, 2013! I had a rough time during Christmas when my auntie pulled that Mac and cheese out the oven. With my new eating habits I still eat a lot of chicken, turkey and some pork. Nothing cried which hearts my heart sometimes but it's for the best. Recently I was able to enjoy about 1/4 cup of cheese grits. It was a nice treat and so are collard greens with turkey. I am more aware of what I eat obviously, and passing on the pies, Cookies and fried foods that frequent the family gatherings. Sometimes I'll even take a tiny bit of everything and start with the Protein, by the time I get to the "good stuff" I'm full! My hair well, it's been drier than usual and my skin has actually been clearer than ever. I'm thinking it's the up In fluids. I've lost a total of 68.5lbs. My husband actually called me skinny he's ridiculous I'm 248lbs! It's been interesting to listen to family claim I'm "too" skinny or shouldn't lose anymore. I just think of how unhealthy I was before and how much better I feel now. I'm doing this for me and for my kids while I miss those fish frys I don't miss the back pain, aches, belly rolls and back fat!

Hi everyone! I was sleeved December 19, 2013! I had a rough time during Christmas when my auntie pulled that Mac and cheese out the oven. With my new eating habits I still eat a lot of chicken, turkey and some pork. Nothing cried which hearts my heart sometimes but it's for the best. Recently I was able to enjoy about 1/4 cup of cheese grits. It was a nice treat and so are collard greens with turkey. I am more aware of what I eat obviously, and passing on the pies, Cookies and fried foods that frequent the family gatherings. Sometimes I'll even take a tiny bit of everything and start with the Protein, by the time I get to the "good stuff" I'm full! My hair well, it's been drier than usual and my skin has actually been clearer than ever. I'm thinking it's the up In fluids. I've lost a total of 68.5lbs. My husband actually called me skinny he's ridiculous I'm 248lbs! It's been interesting to listen to family claim I'm "too" skinny or shouldn't lose anymore. I just think of how unhealthy I was before and how much better I feel now. I'm doing this for me and for my kids while I miss those fish frys I don't miss the back pain, aches, belly rolls and back fat!

Have you been following me Lol! Joking! Omgoodness, you just described me to the T!! Sleeved Same day..my husband calls me skinny....I said if you think I'm skinny now wait until I get 150 lbs. He believes I won't be able to stop once I reach my goal. I think I am at a stall right now though. Congrats on being sleeved. I love mine.

Have you been following me Lol! Joking! Omgoodness, you just described me to the T!! Sleeved Same day..my husband calls me skinny....I said if you think I'm skinny now wait until I get 150 lbs. He believes I won't be able to stop once I reach my goal. I think I am at a stall right now though. Congrats on being sleeved. I love mine.

Hahaha (0_0)!

I'm afraid of a stall. How do you get out of one? How much have you lost?!

Hahaha (0_0)!

I'm afraid of a stall. How do you get out of one? How much have you lost?!

I've lost 62lbs Yay! The stalls? I've heard a lot of people said go back to the beginning.....No way! I was soooo weak and dizzy. I've started at stage 5...I hope that jump starts it. I don't eat much at all, but I think it's the fact that we start to eat again our bodies are so happy and overjoyed about it again, it doesn't know what to do now LOL! Keep in touch! We can reach our goals together :)

Edited by sweetjam69

Hey everyone I'm so glad I found this thread I'm on my pre op journey to have surgery ! So far so good I'm starting to cut back on unhealthy foods but still haven't cut it out completely I drink Protein Shakes already I can't wait to be post op lawd! I am hoping if all goes well I have my surgery sometime in May!

Hello all! I am new to this site, and glad I came across this thread! I just had my surgery 3/21/14. I heard these first few weeks would be hard, and so far, yes it sucks, but it's manageable. Plus, I keep thinking of the bigger picture, and know it's worth it.

I am a weave wearer and wonder if the Hair loss has caused any difference for those who wear weaves. From what I read, if I keep my Protein up I should be fine, but I'm just curious on the weave front if anyone had noticed a difference.

-Chanlissa

Everday gets better...trust me! I wear a lot of weave and wigs. My hair is long anyway so I am really worried if I will have to wear one because my hair is falling out! Maybe I'm speaking to soon but 3 mos out and only the average dead hair lost. My beautician told me to wash my hair every to weeks until further notice!