Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hey everyone. Hope all is well. I was sleeved on August 19,2013. I am down 95 lbs. went from size 20 to 12. Loving it. I am trying not to buy clothes. But it is a must. Since I am still loosing weight ( have about 10 more pounds to my goal weight) I am trying to curb my buying. Well just wanted to check in and see how untouched guys are doing. Till later

<br><br><br><br>

U look great!! What an inspiration!!!

<br><br><br><br>

U look great!! What an inspiration!!!

I'm down 120lbs since being sleeved 1 year ago yesterday.

That's an amazing accomplishment!! Congrats. Please post some before/after pics.

That's an amazing accomplishment!! Congrats. Please post some before/after pics.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and have been ghost reading for quite some time now lol. I've been approved and goth surgery date March 18!! I'm excited but nervous. I'm 23, about 5'9 and currently at 302. Do anyone have suggestions for reducing my chances of loose skin? That's one of my major concerns lol.

Hi All!

I wanted to start a thread for African-American sleevers (no worries I HEART all sleevers from the rainbow). I just thought, no scientific proof, that African-American sleevers may respond to the surgery different than our lovely non-African American sleeved sisters and brothers. I wanted to know if we had the same skin issue, hair problems, and other surgery related issues. Also, how to deal with the culture shock. African-American "soul food" may be something of the past... or not. So I was just looking for a space to voice culture related issues and concens.

PS- I TRULY :heart: ALL SLEEVERS.

Uugghhh do I miss my grandma fried chicken and everything else that got me to this point lol

When she cooks it, it's sooooo tempting because I'm used to packing my plate and eating every bit. Very hard to ignore for me

I'm relatively new to this site and I'm currently waiting on insurance approval. It's so nerve wrecking. Once approved I'm looking at April for my surgery date. I'm so glad I came across this thread. I use the app and it's kind of confusing to navigate. But I've gotten some really good info that was worth jotting down in my handy dandy notebook lol. In looking into the liquid vitamins and also I'll check with Insure Nutrition to see if they will cover my Protein Shakes once I get my approval and an exact surgery date.

Hi there! Bored with Zumba four times a week, I switched to a spin class 1 hour, four times a week. My Saturday mornings, I take 1 hour spinning followed by 1 hour of Zumba. It’s been 4 weeks in, and I have not seen any movement on the scale. My nutrition does not account for exercise; I’m burning on average 500-600 calories. I’m 8 months post- op, taking in 900 -950 calories, 90-100 grams of Protein, and 30-40 grams of fat, 30 grams or less carbs. I’ve lost inches in my waist (1- 1/2), and bust (1). I have not lost nor gained any weight in 4 weeks. I was told that I was not eating enough? What am I doing wrong?

Hi there! Bored with Zumba four times a week, I switched to a spin class 1 hour, four times a week. My Saturday mornings, I take 1 hour spinning followed by 1 hour of Zumba. It’s been 4 weeks in, and I have not seen any movement on the scale. My nutrition does not account for exercise; I’m burning on average 500-600 calories. I’m 8 months post- op, taking in 900 -950 calories, 90-100 grams of Protein, and 30-40 grams of fat, 30 grams or less carbs. I’ve lost inches in my waist (1- 1/2), and bust (1). I have not lost nor gained any weight in 4 weeks. I'm 37 pounds from my personal goal. I was told that I was not eating enough? What am I doing wrong?

I'm 2 months in and I've lose 40+, down from 22 to 14, yet I feel that I should be smaller than this or maybe I just can't see it. Is this the "blues" (wishing for more than I should) or should I really be losing more weigh? Should I have discomfort when I sit down to eat vegetables or Protein meats like chicken or turkey? Thanks in advance for any advices.

April

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and have been ghost reading for quite some time now lol. I've been approved and goth surgery date March 18!! I'm excited but nervous. I'm 23, about 5'9 and currently at 302. Do anyone have suggestions for reducing my chances of loose skin? That's one of my major concerns lol.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I am getting sleeved April 9th, but currently have a Lap Band. As for your skin, drink lots if water! Hydration is the best thing for skin elasticity. I know because I have lived my life dehydrated and my skin is loose on my arms, stomach and thighs after weight loss. My many stretch marks don't help (due to dehydration). So, drink lots if Water. Your skin is going to do what it does. If it's not hanging now, it most likely won't be bad later. Focus on getting your surgery and getting to a healthy weight and then worry about the skin. You'll still be beautiful no matter what. Good luck!