Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

As for Hair loss, I have thick natural hair and get it two-strand a lot. I would say I'd cut it short when I hit my goal weight. A whole new me...

I had two sleep tests done in the past when I was 200lbs and they said I woke up 20-30 times...just told me to lose weight. My GF's hate rooming with me on trips and my new bf makes comments about my snoring that is annoying....so I will mention that in my follow-up.

So glad they're are people of color to relate to about this. Most people feel this is cheating and I know I've tried over the past 10yrs to lose weight and I've lost the same 35 and gain it back plus 30-40 more. I am happy with this choice.

Thanks.

My first Sleep study was negative but I was a lot smaller then. My second study was positive and I now sleep with a CPAP. I had a lot doctors tell me to lose weight, but I have tried everything including pills. Now it seems like I get diagnosed with something new every year: PCOS, fibromyalgia, sciatica, insulin resistance, chronic obstructive sleep apnea; now my blood pressure is elevated. I have my tests on the 12th and I hope my insurance will not give me the run around.

It is a roll on nightly breathable masque that helps with repairing your skin. It will fade away the scars from the surgery. I was burned in my face a while ago and he told me to use it to remove those blemishes. He had a scar in his face that he used it on and you can no longer see it. Im hoping it will work on my skin.

I just saw this! Thank you so much for your response. I'm gonna try it.

I had my consult with Dr. Levine at Brooklyn Hospital. She was funny, informative, & supportive. Answered my questions and may have diagnosed me with Pre-Diabetes. I have a rash in both arms in the crease where they stick u for blood...I thought I was getting eczema but she said it may be a sign of sugar issues. Just started maybe 3-4months ago but eczema runs in my family soo...if so, this knocks me up to 3 obesity related issues. hBP, snoring/sleep apnea, pre-diabetes, and I also have plantar fasciitis which makes it hard to walk...I called my PCP and I see him on Monday...I love him and I hope he gives me the okay and support.

Oh & I fasted today and the Bariatric nurse let me get blood work done & I attended a nutritional session with a dietitian...my insurance only requires 1 session...I do plan to go to the support meetings and see the dietitian again. Very informative and overall clean facility. All the docs I need are there except my PCP...

Thanks for listening.

What a wonderful life...

I had my consult with Dr. Levine at Brooklyn Hospital. She was funny' date=' informative, & supportive. Answered my questions and may have diagnosed me with Pre-Diabetes. I have a rash in both arms in the crease where they stick u for blood...I thought I was getting eczema but she said it may be a sign of sugar issues. Just started maybe 3-4months ago but eczema runs in my family soo...if so, this knocks me up to 3 obesity related issues. hBP, snoring/sleep apnea, pre-diabetes, and I also have plantar fasciitis which makes it hard to walk...I called my PCP and I see him on Monday...I love him and I hope he gives me the okay and support.

Oh & I fasted today and the Bariatric nurse let me get blood work done & I attended a nutritional session with a dietitian...my insurance only requires 1 session...I do plan to go to the support meetings and see the dietitian again. Very informative and overall clean facility. All the docs I need are there except my PCP...

Thanks for listening.

What a wonderful life...[/quote']

That's great. Sounds like you're on a roll. Do you require anything from you pcp? I know it would be great to have his support, but if you can get everything done without him, then do it. I have Aetna, and I've been able to get everything done without my pcp. I had to choose a new one in the same practice because my pcp left. My surgeons office has ordered all my tests and I have my last appt with the office next week. Hoping my paperwork will be submitted after that.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and was excited to see there was a thread for African Americans. I had my appt yesterday and my surgery is scheduled for Oct 21. Going into the appt I had my mind set on the lap band but my doctor recommends the sleeve. I did not give the sleeve much thought because it involved more cutting and figured the band would be less invasive. But after doing some research and hearing people's stories I'm rethinking the band. But as an African American woman I have sooo many questions. Hopefully you guys are able to help me out.

1. After the surgery, were you able to eat small portions of "soul food" ie Mac and cheese, string Beans, fried chicken, jerk chicken, ox tails things of that nature?

2. How did your families deal with you having the surgery? Were they supportive? I currently have not told my family and they don't believe in surgeries. I'm unsure if I will tell them but it will be hard to keep from them because I live with them lol. But my friends and their families are very supportive of me.

3. Has anyone noticed a difference in their skin and hair? Good or bad differences.

4. What did people do about excess skin? Did working out help or did people have additional surgery to remove the skin? I am 28 and I'm hoping by working out I will not have too much saggy skin and I'm also praying that I have good genetics :-)

5. How long did people wait before drinking and going to restaurants? Also what did people eat as a soft food? My doctor keeps telling me foods that I don't even eat now so I'm concerned I won't have much to eat during this stage.

I apologize if I have so many questions, I'm just curious. Thanks in advance :-)

Hey everyone' date='

I'm new to the forum and was excited to see there was a thread for African Americans. I had my appt yesterday and my surgery is scheduled for Oct 21. Going into the appt I had my mind set on the lap band but my doctor recommends the sleeve. I did not give the sleeve much thought because it involved more cutting and figured the band would be less invasive. But after doing some research and hearing people's stories I'm rethinking the band. But as an African American woman I have sooo many questions. Hopefully you guys are able to help me out.

1. After the surgery, were you able to eat small portions of "soul food" ie Mac and cheese, string Beans, fried chicken, jerk chicken, ox tails things of that nature?

2. How did your families deal with you having the surgery? Were they supportive? I currently have not told my family and they don't believe in surgeries. I'm unsure if I will tell them but it will be hard to keep from them because I live with them lol. But my friends and their families are very supportive of me.

3. Has anyone noticed a difference in their skin and hair? Good or bad differences.

4. What did people do about excess skin? Did working out help or did people have additional surgery to remove the skin? I am 28 and I'm hoping by working out I will not have too much saggy skin and I'm also praying that I have good genetics :-)

5. How long did people wait before drinking and going to restaurants? Also what did people eat as a soft food? My doctor keeps telling me foods that I don't even eat now so I'm concerned I won't have much to eat during this stage.

I apologize if I have so many questions, I'm just curious. Thanks in advance :-)[/quote']

I am still pre-op and can answer your questions yet, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Hey everyone,

Hi let me see if I can answer your questions...

1. After the surgery, were you able to eat small portions of "soul food" ie Mac and cheese, string Beans, fried chicken, jerk chicken, ox tails things of that nature? Yes, but some people taste buds change after surgery, like mine.....after surgery if I eat something extremely fatty like fried meats, I get sick...doesnt matter, fried chicken, fried fish, it makes me sick, so I have to eat baked or grilled..

2. How did your families deal with you having the surgery? Were they supportive? I currently have not told my family and they don't believe in surgeries. I'm unsure if I will tell them but it will be hard to keep from them because I live with them lol. But my friends and their families are very supportive of me. My family was extremely supportive once they understood what I was having done, you are going to find that you will have to educate them on the surgery, show them pictures, not the gross surgery ones but the model pics of the sleeve....my aunt, who is like a mom to me, wanted to meet my doctor so I took her to a office visit with me to meet him, once she met him, she has been my #1 cheerleader....the day of surgery my family from all over sent me bible scriptures and positive quotes while I was in the hospital....it was great...

3. Has anyone noticed a difference in their skin and hair? Good or bad differences. I have natural hair and its thick, I made a point to get my Protein in daily so I would not experience alot of Hair loss, as far as your skin, VSG patients do not get that "bypass look"....if you ever met someone who has had bypass you know what I'm talking about...people actually say the opposite about my skin, they notice how clear and smooth it looks, I tell them, drink plenty of Water and yours will do the same...lol

4. What did people do about excess skin? Did working out help or did people have additional surgery to remove the skin? I am 28 and I'm hoping by working out I will not have too much saggy skin and I'm also praying that I have good genetics :-) Working out has helped with my skin issues (thank God) I plan to hire a trainer to help me tone better once I'm under 200 pounds...I think it has to do more with age and the number of kids you've had prior to surgery than genes....I've met a few black WLS patients who has had plastics done and they all had children before having the procedure done, so there's hope!

5. How long did people wait before drinking and going to restaurants? Also what did people eat as a soft food? My doctor keeps telling me foods that I don't even eat now so I'm concerned I won't have much to eat during this stage. Please PLease PLease go through all of your eating stages your doctor has for you, DO NOT SKIP, unless you want to run the risk of a complication....I ate out 3 weeks after my surgery....it was baked potato Soup, minus the extra cheese, bacon and stuff....I was on mushies and it was mushy...I ate a spoonful, waited for a few min to see if I would have a negative reaction....then ate my 1/2 cup.....just go slow, follow your stages and dont rush the healing process....and if you get bored with your food selections, you can always come on here or join MFP and look at other people journals and ask questions about what they ate during your stage...honestly I didnt desire to eat any food until week 3...then I was able to eat mushies and soft eggs....my favorite was grits with eggs, I could only finish half of it but I loved it....

I apologize if I have so many questions, I'm just curious. Thanks in advance :-)

That's great. Sounds like you're on a roll. Do you require anything from you pcp? I know it would be great to have his support' date=' but if you can get everything done without him, then do it. I have Aetna, and I've been able to get everything done without my pcp. I had to choose a new one in the same practice because my pcp left. My surgeons office has ordered all my tests and I have my last appt with the office next week. Hoping my paperwork will be submitted after that.[/quote']

The Bariatric nurse gave me a list of things I need from my PCP:

5yr weight history & any weight loss pills or recommendations from him

Any weight loss or gain

Does he feel I am a candidate?

That's the part that worries me. Having a possible pre-diabetes diagnosis is scary and I will pray he allows me this opportunity.

I am doing everything else, cardiology, pulmonary, gastroenterology, psychiatric eval. Through them.

I made an appt.today for gastro & they gave me July 31st...I am like oh hell no...lol

I'm going to see my PCP on Monday & maybe he will help and send me to someone sooner.

Jo

What a wonderful life...

I am going for my first e ER consult with a surgeon. I am trying to grasp my head around this procedure. I want to know is it liquid foods for the first 6months? I'm in Brooklyn' date=' NY and my pic is of me 30-45lbs less. I'm 5'6" at 275-280! High BP, snore badly, and suffered with heel spurs and plantar fasciitis which prevented me from walking. I finally got a cortisone shot 2wks ago and I can put my whole weight on my feet but I'm still nervous. My PCP is obese and whenever I spoke about prescribing FDA approved diet pills he refused. I'm concerned he won't okay my surgery. Can I start fresh with a new doc?[/quote']

You should be able to start with a new PCP but you might have to go through a 6 month period so that the new PCP can to monitor your diet. Why don't you talk with your current PCP first and ask him since he has all of your medical history before jumping ship and going to another PCP.

The Bariatric nurse gave me a list of things I need from my PCP:

5yr weight history & any weight loss pills or recommendations from him

Any weight loss or gain

Does he feel I am a candidate?

That's the part that worries me. Having a possible pre-diabetes diagnosis is scary and I will pray he allows me this opportunity.

I am doing everything else' date=' cardiology, pulmonary, gastroenterology, psychiatric eval. Through them.

I made an appt.today for gastro & they gave me July 31st...I am like oh hell no...lol

I'm going to see my PCP on Monday & maybe he will help and send me to someone sooner.

Jo

What a wonderful life...[/quote']

Request copies of your medical records now and have them in hand. I'm sure your weight is clearly documented throughout the years. He shouldn't have a problem recommending you after being confronted with those numbers after all of those years. If he does, you can show the same records and documented weights to a new pcp.

I am still pre-op and can answer your questions yet' date=' but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.[/quote']

Thanks!

This has just been an amazing journey!

[ATTACH]15107[/ATTACH]

post-49957-138136674069_thumb.png

Hi new here. Glad I came across a forum for AA. My surgery is August 15, 2012 and I'm on a 8 week Optifast liquid diet. Started June 19th got weighed 10 days later and lost 8lbs in that time frame. I got a weigh in on July 12 and I can't wait to see how much more I've lost.

Hi new here. Glad I came across a forum for AA. My surgery is August 15' date=' 2012 and I'm on a 8 week Optifast liquid diet. Started June 19th got weighed 10 days later and lost 8lbs in that time frame. I got a weigh in on July 12 and I can't wait to see how much more I've lost.[/quote']

Welcome Jallen!