Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hello All' date='

Super excited that I found this group... I am 25 years old and have been considering weightless surgery for years. I started in Feb 2013 on my journey and there have been so many bumps in the road. Currently I am on a Quest to lose 30 pounds before my surgery will give me a set date for my sleeve....I am currently doing 5 Protein Shakes and 1 healthy choice meal for dinner.... I have an amazing husband who has been completing this diet with me but I am scared that I won't be able to follow it for 6 weeks let alone lose the 30 pounds I need to. Just really looking for advice and support!!!![/quote']

Mrs. AjDixon,

Way to go being committed to a healthier you. I too had to do a pre-op diet and was asked to lose about 10% of my access weight to help the surgeon have better view of the stomach area with the shrinkage of the fatty tissue around the liver.ask your doctor to give you a list of food items you can eat for a sugar free liquid diet. Just incase you need a little more variety. I was able to eat beef and chicken broth, sugar free Jello, and Popsicles. Things that dissolve in the mouth before swallowing and with little to no sugar.I lost 19 pounds before surgery. I did have a headache as others have said while my body switched over to burning Protein for fuel and not carbs.it lasted about 3 days. Also if you are pre diabetic or have any have any sort of diabetic challenges. Make sure you and your doctor monitor your sugar levels.

Good luck..I know you will be sitting on the losers bench soon.

Hi all!!! I am currently playing the waiting game to see if I'm approved!!!! I pray that I am!!! I should know something in a week or so!!!

Yes you will....whst you really want you will work hard for. I didn't think I'd be able to lose the 13 pounds my doc req'd and ended up losing 20 in 3 weeks. I was rea lly gettin it in on the elliptical and pretty much ate fruit salad and little to no carbs. You'll surprise yourself. All the best!

Thank you so much for reaching out! Congratulations on the 20 pounds! What is your current position? Sleeved or Waiting? What foods did you eat or liquids did you choose?

Day 2 of Pre-op, not bad. Funny enough I am not feeling hungry. I am also working on my mind. I love this site so helpful.

Can anyone tell me what your pre op diet is and for how long? I want to do one but I asked surgeon twice and he didn't give me one.

Can anyone tell me what your pre op diet is and for how long? I want to do one but I asked surgeon twice and he didn't give me one.

My pre-op diet is five Protein Shakes a day with a Multivitamin in the morning for two weeks. Surgery April 29th.

Thanks!

Hello I'm an African American woman who was sleeved on April 11,2013. This was the best decision I made in my life!!!!!!! So far no complications. My skin seem to be glowing and I wear a sew in so I have no noticeable Hair loss. I'm 23 pounds down since the 11th until today the 20th also my surgeon was Dr.Steinberg

So I am nearly 6 months out and 60lbs down. I am noticing I am having a bit of Hair loss but I also haven't been as vigilant about getting in ally Protein only around 45-50gms a day. I am working on boosting that thank goodness I had a ton of hair to start lately I have been wearing it my natural curly style so my big curls(I am mixed) make it look fuller it also cuts down on the damage from heat styling.All in all it has been a great experience :)

Hi All!

I wanted to start a thread for African-American sleevers (no worries I HEART all sleevers from the rainbow). I just thought' date=' no scientific proof, that African-American sleevers may respond to the surgery different than our lovely non-African American sleeved sisters and brothers. I wanted to know if we had the same skin issue, hair problems, and other surgery related issues. Also, how to deal with the culture shock. African-American "soul food" may be something of the past... or not. So I was just looking for a space to voice culture related issues and concens.

PS- I TRULY :heart: ALL SLEEVERS.

[/quote']

Atlgirl,

I'm 11 days post op. AA female

Ok guys, here are my stats....i hadsurgery on 3/25/13

Hw: 298

Sw: 280

Cw: 258

I can now fit clothes that i had when i first met my husband, mainly shorts and stuff, still alittle tight, but i can now get them all the way up????????????

Sent from my iPad using VST

Ok guys' date=' here are my stats....i hadsurgery on 3/25/13

Hw: 298

Sw: 280

Cw: 258

I can now fit clothes that i had when i first met my husband, mainly shorts and stuff, still alittle tight, but i can now get them all the way up??de01??de01??de01

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

You are doing really well.

I am glad to have someone ask this question as well. My family of origin is from the south and that doesn't mean we fry everything that moves but many of my dishes are southern based not too mention my husband is West Indian. I love both cultures and food. I cook it all. I have friend frm everywhere ad continue to learn how to cook a lot of things I probably can't eat now! I am 3 weeks out. Feeling weak and hungry. I too am looking for suggestions.

You are doing really well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using VST