Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

I'm about 5 weeks almost 6 weeks post op. I've been struggling with Protein. Every type of Protein Shake has upset my stomach. Yesterday I tried Isopure it also made me sick to the stomach. I tried unflavored Unjury today. I guesd my body had enough after one sip it came right back up. I haven't been able to keep anything down since i tried the protein mix. Is anybody else having this issue? Also I'm just curious to know for those that are 6 weeks out what and how much are you eating?

I had issues when starting protien, but I'm drinking the Premier Protein shakes. They are what agree with me. I ordered the Unjury because I had it presurgery...they just didn't agree with me early on and I haven't tried them again. The unflavored...what did you use it in? I did put a little in my Soup once, wasn't bad, but was unsure of how to keep the temp at 140 degrees so it wouldn't clump.

I also did the isopure, but I put a packet of Crystal Light in and it was really tasty. I stopped drinking because it was causing a little reflux, but other than that, if you can try again try w/ CL.

I am still on liquids until week 9...yep you read right. but I can have creamed Soups as well so I do 1/4 cup 2 times a day. Have to have a celebratory Protein Drink on my b-day!

I had issues when starting protien' date=' but I'm drinking the Premier Protein shakes. They are what agree with me. I ordered the Unjury because I had it presurgery...they just didn't agree with me early on and I haven't tried them again. The unflavored...what did you use it in? I did put a little in my Soup once, wasn't bad, but was unsure of how to keep the temp at 140 degrees so it wouldn't clump.

I also did the Isopure, but I put a packet of Crystal Light in and it was really tasty. I stopped drinking because it was causing a little reflux, but other than that, if you can try again try w/ CL.

I am still on liquids until week 9...yep you read right. but I can have creamed Soups as well so I do 1/4 cup 2 times a day. Have to have a celebratory Protein drink on my b-day![/quote']

I tried the unflavored powder with diluted orange juice. I've tried premier too. Idk what it is but i can't keep any of it down. My food allergies have become more sensitive since the surgery. I've been able to get the recommended 70g of protein by eating more foods. I went from 600 to 950 calories a day. Mostly eating eggs, tuna, chicken, cheese, kashi bar high in protein and natural Peanut Butter.

WOW full liquids for 9 weeks! Every surgeon is different but with my plan that phase only lasted a week. I was eating regular foods by week 4. sugar free, fat free fudge bars helped me on the full liquid phase.

I am having the same problem!!! I will be 3 weeks out on Wednesday. I have a hard time keeping things down. I take antacids because I have developed some type of reflux/gas issue since the surgery. I can't keep down any Protein Shake, mix, powder of any type. I have the inflavored Unjury which I add to my chicken broth but it gets so boring after a day or two. I'm really missing eating. I have tried vegetable Soup and got down like 2 spoonfuls of the broth and 4 noodles. The sugar free popsicle are too sweet. For some reason since the surgery EVERYTHING is super sweet. I also have a hard time with my own saliva getting foamy and then it comes back up after while. Getting a little discouraged because it seems like ill never be normal again and have questioned my decision. I can't wait to get past this phase because my current diet consists of Water, chicken broth, and unsweetened tea. Pls help if anyone has any advise.

Hey wannabehealthy2' date=' I was sleeved on 1/8/13 and have PCOS. I do believe I'm losing a little slower than others. Since my surgery I've lost about 45-50 lbs but my inches are more. My clothes are falling of faster than the scale moves. So I'm grateful still. The symptoms of PCOS are becoming less and less. My cycles are getting more regular, hair in areas it shouldn't be on a woman is getting less and less, my skin is clearing up. So all around an awesome experience. I try not to measure my success against others for two reasons. 1) They're not me and everyone's different and 2) my weight is dropping more consistently than ever before. Plus I'm hoping with my weight dropping a little slower I won't have as many issues with my skin ;-). Hoping at least! But good luck lady and hopefully all goes well for you.[/quote']

You're right I should not compare myself to others. I just don't want to fail at losing weight anymore. PCOS sucks!!

I am having the same problem!!! I will be 3 weeks out on Wednesday. I have a hard time keeping things down. I take antacids because I have developed some type of reflux/gas issue since the surgery. I can't keep down any Protein Shake, mix, powder of any type. I have the inflavored Unjury which I add to my chicken broth but it gets so boring after a day or two. I'm really missing eating. I have tried vegetable Soup and got down like 2 spoonfuls of the broth and 4 noodles. The sugar free popsicle are too sweet. For some reason since the surgery EVERYTHING is super sweet. I also have a hard time with my own saliva getting foamy and then it comes back up after while. Getting a little discouraged because it seems like ill never be normal again and have questioned my decision. I can't wait to get past this phase because my current diet consists of Water, chicken broth, and unsweetened tea. Pls help if anyone has any advise.

I did not experience all of what you are going through but I did have a break down. The first week after surgery I cried almost everyday. I asked myself why do I do this to myself? I often thought was being fat really that bad? I have a pretty face and I guess I could have learned to love myself.

We all have moments when we get discouraged and miss food. I know it's hard to believe right now but things really do get better with time. You are going through a huge lifestyle change. Just like your body has to adjust so does your mind. To be honest no you will never be normal again. You are going to be greater than normal :D . Hang in there you will come through on top.

Well the good news is i had all the same problems as you with the foam, Protein shake, and the sweetness as well as everything else. the bad news is i was sleeved December 3rd of 2012 and i wasn't able to eat more than a few bites till February 11th. I'm not saying you will be as bad but my surgeon says 80% of people have some probs 10% have none and 10% have a lot. My guess is your like me and in the bad 10%. I do recommend seeing your DR about getting an upper GI Flouro scan to make sure there is no blockage. Mine wasn't but better to be safe. I'm not saying yours will last as long as mine did but i will tell you now that things are better i can drink Protein Shakes and i recommend the premier ones from costco as there not too big and have 30G of protein and aren't too sweet but don't taste nasty either. When you can drink them i mean. My suggestion to you is to do what i did which is drink plenty of water and get some no sugar added frozen fruit and mix it in the blender with water and take your time drinking it. Your body processes natural sugar different and it will give you the energy to make it through the day until your stomach fully heals and you can start eating again and drink the Protein Drinks. I will warn you you will lose muscle tone as you can't get enough protein but other than being tired a lot you will not cause any damage to your body by what i suggest as i got a second opinion other than my surgeon. It has started to come back since i have been able to get protein in now so i wouldn't worry too much about it. he important thing is to get checked out to make sure there is no blockage and if not just do what you can until it heals. One more thing pedialyte pops is another good thing to try as their not too sweet ad it helps get some Fluid in and the cold calms the stomach a little. Also ask your DR about medication that can help with the nausea i had 2 types a pill and a liquid that helped me get through the last month. If you want send me a message and i can send you one back with the names i would have to go back and look them up.

I am having the same problem!!! I will be 3 weeks out on Wednesday. I have a hard time keeping things down. I take antacids because I have developed some type of reflux/gas issue since the surgery. I can't keep down any Protein shake' date=' mix, powder of any type. I have the inflavored Unjury which I add to my chicken broth but it gets so boring after a day or two. I'm really missing eating. I have tried vegetable Soup and got down like 2 spoonfuls of the broth and 4 noodles. The sugar free popsicle are too sweet. For some reason since the surgery EVERYTHING is super sweet. I also have a hard time with my own saliva getting foamy and then it comes back up after while. Getting a little discouraged because it seems like ill never be normal again and have questioned my decision. I can't wait to get past this phase because my current diet consists of Water, chicken broth, and unsweetened tea. Pls help if anyone has any advise.[/quote']

Please call your surgeon about the heartburn so he can prescribe a med for you if he hasn't already. It sounds like you have reflux which most people get after surgery. Antacids will not help the reflux and tends to make it worse overtime. You might try prilosec over the counter but I would call him immediately. I developed reflux about a week out and called my surgeon he put me on prilosec 2x day for two weeks then once a day. I'm almost 6 months out and I'm down to maybe 3 times a week. But call him...very important.

OMG I love you all for the responses!! I thought I was the only one going through. I did have a 2nd swallow study which showed that my stomach drains extremely slow but my Dr wasn't worried bc at that point I was only 1 1/2 wk out from surgery. I will ask for meds for the nausea because that is one of my biggest struggles. It's funny bc I feel most sick when I'm in a car or immediately after I eat something I can't move. My worry was about not being able to get in enough Protein but ill do what I can until I can get in more. I'm so happy for this app to have ppl in my situation and have such a large support group. I got out for the first time yesterday and that alone made me feel better. I started out all wrong from seeing everyone else's post. My surgery was 4/20/13 and I was in the Hosp for 1 wk bc the Morphine was making me sick and I coyldnt keep down liquids. I didn't really have much pain after the first day and I told them to take me off the pain meds. I typically don't even take Tylenol so my body wasn't having it. After being out of the Hosp for 2 days I was back for dehydration. I stayed another week which is when they did the second swallow study. Now I can gulp down Water which is a far cry from where I was. chicken broth soothes my stomach. I get all my Vitamins in. I didn't buy a scale bc I didn't want to turn into an addict checking everyday or multiple times a day LOL. Last I checked I was down 10-15 pounds I can't remember. My follow appt is 5/15/13 so ill find out officially then. I'm new to this so I'm still learning but I want to get to know ppl and stay plugged in.

In the lobby now. Hope to be posting soon.

OMG I love you all for the responses!! I thought I was the only one going through. I did have a 2nd swallow study which showed that my stomach drains extremely slow but my Dr wasn't worried bc at that point I was only 1 1/2 wk out from surgery. I will ask for meds for the nausea because that is one of my biggest struggles. It's funny bc I feel most sick when I'm in a car or immediately after I eat something I can't move. My worry was about not being able to get in enough Protein but ill do what I can until I can get in more. I'm so happy for this app to have ppl in my situation and have such a large support group. I got out for the first time yesterday and that alone made me feel better. I started out all wrong from seeing everyone else's post. My surgery was 4/20/13 and I was in the Hosp for 1 wk bc the Morphine was making me sick and I coyldnt keep down liquids. I didn't really have much pain after the first day and I told them to take me off the pain meds. I typically don't even take Tylenol so my body wasn't having it. After being out of the Hosp for 2 days I was back for dehydration. I stayed another week which is when they did the second swallow study. Now I can gulp down Water which is a far cry from where I was. chicken broth soothes my stomach. I get all my Vitamins in. I didn't buy a scale bc I didn't want to turn into an addict checking everyday or multiple times a day LOL. Last I checked I was down 10-15 pounds I can't remember. My follow appt is 5/15/13 so ill find out officially then. I'm new to this so I'm still learning but I want to get to know ppl and stay plugged in.

Mo that's what mine showed is that it emptied slow. Like i said it does eventually get better. I will warn you when it does you'll want to eat a lot. I actually gained 7 pounds when mine finally allowed me to eat. But after a week it went back to normal and i lost it just as quick.

Nate I can see how that would happen. I actually ate a 1/2 of can of vegetable Soup today which took me an hour to eat it but it was heaven. I just can't wait to get over this hump and thanks for the meds info :0)

Surgery today. Not nervous yet. God's got it.

I hope your surgery went well. Yes God had it and had you!!

I love this thread also. I have been checking in periodically and it has been so encouraging and informative. I had my surgery on Aug 17th 2012, HW 348. Best decision I have ever made just for me. I have had a lot of struggles including having my gallbladder removed a month later but would do it all again to feel this good. Blessings to you/us all on this journey;-)