Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hey all my African American Sisters, I was sleeved on 1/26/11, down 24 pounds! Did anyone experience weight stall, like from 2 wks to 3 wks my weight is still the same. I even work out 5 days a week. I have locks and hope I don't experience any hair lose, but my doctor told me to get 70-90 mg of protien daily in which I do. Wonder if weight loss is slower for us? All i know is I am excited, haven't had any complications and in 7 days get to move to soft foods. All of a sudden all eyes are on me even though I have only shared this with a few close friends and family members. I noticed some doctors have different criteria after the sleeve, like I read where some are on liquids 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after and my pre-op and post-op was never that. I am a Indiana girl, so if any sleevers in my area let me know. God Bless you all!

Hey all my African American Sisters, I was sleeved on 1/26/11, down 24 pounds! Did anyone experience weight stall, like from 2 wks to 3 wks my weight is still the same. I even work out 5 days a week. I have locks and hope I don't experience any hair lose, but my doctor told me to get 70-90 mg of protien daily in which I do. Wonder if weight loss is slower for us? All i know is I am excited, haven't had any complications and in 7 days get to move to soft foods. All of a sudden all eyes are on me even though I have only shared this with a few close friends and family members. I noticed some doctors have different criteria after the sleeve, like I read where some are on liquids 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after and my pre-op and post-op was never that. I am a Indiana girl, so if any sleevers in my area let me know. God Bless you all!

I was sleeved on Sept 2, 2011 and i lost about 40 pounds in 3 weeks and then I stalled for almost a month. I think most people have a stall around this time, its probably because our bodies have to catch up with what's going on. Don't stress about it, keep doing what you're doing and the scale will move. Congratulations on your weight lost so far and keep up the good work.

Anyone else worried about loosing too much weight and not meeting the standards of what our husbands, boyfriends and other black men think is attractive?

I'll be honest, I am.

I wonder what will happen to my boobies. I currently wear a 36 F and am worried about how they'll look afterward. I probably will ask for a breast reduction.

Also I'm an apple shape so I'm worried that I'll just be a smaller, loose skinned version of my bigger self.

Crazy right?

OMG! This WAS such my worry. My husband has always been attracted to BBW. For months I had to really talk to him to make sure he was OK with my decision. We even looked online at different women body shapes to see what is the "smallest" body type he likes. He think Jennifer Hudson is perfect and Raven Simone.

I don;t really have a "goal weight" that my doctor likes. To me 150 was as small as I wanted to go or a size 10, but to pacify my doctor I say 140.

My breast are already changing faster than I would like. I think its because I went from breastfeeding to not and then the weight loss. I hope I don't get smaller than a C (really a D, but that's wishful thinking). I am a 38DD now.

rest assured my husband said he has no problem telling me when he feels I am "too small." I think seeing the weight loss so far has him excited. He said he would love to be able to pick me up. ;-)

Anyone else worried about loosing too much weight and not meeting the standards of what our husbands, boyfriends and other black men think is attractive?

I'll be honest, I am.

I wonder what will happen to my boobies. I currently wear a 36 F and am worried about how they'll look afterward. I probably will ask for a breast reduction.

Also I'm an apple shape so I'm worried that I'll just be a smaller, loose skinned version of my bigger self.

Crazy right?

Nikki D u said a mouthful. If you don't get your health on track, you might not be around for your daughter or your husband. Selfish is if you didn't try to get yourself healthy....some people just need to sit back and be quiet because without the facts they really don't know.

Hi kayfreeatlast, Congrats and good luck on your upcoming surgery. I know what you are going through in regards to your husband. My husband is being supportive only because I've made my decision and I'm not changing my mind. I hated to be so harsh, but I told him he can either get on board with my decision or sit back and watch. This train is taking off either way!! Of course he'd prefer if I lost weight without surgery. He doesn't think I need it. However, he now understands that I need his support in order to make this transformation successful (after meeting my surgeon). My brother in law is giving me a hard time. He's trying very hard to prove his point that I don't need the surgery. He told me that I was being selfish. I told him, he is right about me being selfish. For the first time in a long time, I'm putting me first. I need to take care of me in order to take care of my daughter. If that's being selfish, then so be it.

Hello Blmsbry. I noticed that today was your surgery date. I am positive that everything went well. Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us when you feel up to it.

Hi,

Congratulations on your decision and progress! I am a African American female in the process of getting approved for VSG. I was delighted to read your post and hope to gain much advice as I move forward. I have started taking 2,000 mg. of Biotin daily and hope this

will help with hair loss.

In addition to Hair loss, I am also interested in tips on minimizing excessive skin.

All!

I wanted to start a thread for African-American sleevers (no worries I HEART all sleevers from the rainbow). I just thought, no scientific proof, that African-American sleevers may respond to the surgery different than our lovely non-African American sleeved sisters and brothers. I wanted to know if we had the same skin issue, hair problems, and other surgery related issues. Also, how to deal with the culture shock. African-American "soul food" may be something of the past... or not. So I was just looking for a space to voice culture related issues and concens.

PS- I TRULY :heart: ALL SLEEVERS.

I am a 33 year old AA female from NY. Have been overweight my ENTIRE life. I am getting sleeved God willing on 4/11. Received my approval today! Just checking in.

I was very excited to see this thread. So thank you ATL girl!! I will be getting sleeved on 4/4, and I'm also the primary cook for my family. Remember growing up, there was always that one house that everyone went to for parties, and good food and drink, and just an all around good time? Well, that house is my house. I can't tell you how many phone calls I've gotten, wondering how my surgery was "going to affect them". I would love to say that it won't be a problem still doing all of the cooking and hosting the parties, but from what I've heard, my sense of smell may not be the same, and I may not be able to tolerate some of those former aromas.

Nevertheless, I look forward to hearing about everyone's journey, so I can learn from all of you.

Annette

Hello all,

I was so happy to find this post. I am an AA [well I guess you can see that from my avatar :rolleyes: ] living in the southern part of Houston Tex. My journey is just starting - I am waiting on my instructions from my insurance company for approval. I must say that I am very excited about doing this. I have read so many encouraging stories on this site....I can't wait to truly start my journey to a healthier me. Good luck to everybody from start to maintenance!

Hi all! Doing a check in. its been 10 weeks and im down 44 pounds. Not as much as many but I am happy with my progress. No skin issues yet and I have been helping my hair in a sew in. I do 4 weeks with a sew in and then about 4 days out. Then repeat. No abnormal lost yet.

I have went from a DD to a D. I am hoping not to go below a C. Tilapia, cheese, milk, and Poweraids are my best friends.

I have an appointment during week 12 to get my blood drawn and levels checked. I dont get my multi in everyday, but I am getting better.

I feel great and wanted to check in. hope all is well.

Via EVO

Hi ATL Girl. Glad things are going smoothly for you. Keep up the great job you are doing. :)

Hi all! Doing a check in. its been 10 weeks and im down 44 pounds. Not as much as many but I am happy with my progress. No skin issues yet and I have been helping my hair in a sew in. I do 4 weeks with a sew in and then about 4 days out. Then repeat. No abnormal lost yet.

I have went from a DD to a D. I am hoping not to go below a C. Tilapia, cheese, milk, and Poweraids are my best friends.

I have an appointment during week 12 to get my blood drawn and levels checked. I dont get my multi in everyday, but I am getting better.

I feel great and wanted to check in. hope all is well.

Via EVO