Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Awesome! I am 32 yoa and have been researching wls every since 2005. I am employed with a company that covers wls. However, I have been denied twice. They say the 3rd tyme is a charm right? Well we'll just have to see about that. My consistency will pay off at the end. My ins company has everything that they need from me, physc eval, 5 yr weight history and some clinicals. my surgeon submitted the paper work on Jan 25 so I'm still waiting on the verdict. LoL :P Thank you for this thread I'll visit more often.

Blsmbry

Hello,

Awesome to see this forum as it is needed. I am 5wks post op from VSG with Dr. Ramos Kelly in Mexico. I have had zero complications to date (knock on wood) and have lost 20lbs. My scars have almost disappeared. I am on mushies/soft food and that is going very well. I have natural (sisterlocked) hair and I too was interested to see how the Hair loss would effect black women especially those with permed hair so I am glad that we can connect here. I also live in Atlanta, GA so anyone who lives anywhere in Atlanta that wants to connect feel free to contact me (divajksn@yahoo.com). Peace & Blessings to all.

Davida

Welcome Chinasl45 and we11ro!!!

Have either of you been sleeved yet?

I don't get sleeved until March 23 but I have already started my Optifast pre-op liquid diet which I am to do until 2 days before my surgery. We won't even talk about how a sista is starvin!!! lol

I, like a lot of folks here, are concerned about hair loss. I keep a perm I have a short cut. Does anyone know wigs, braids, and/or sewn-in weaves will affect the Hair loss? I just want to be prepared. Even on the days when I look "a hot mess" clothing wise, the hair and nails are always "sharp" LOL.

Hello all,

I am a 26 y/o AA and had my surgery since 10/4/10.I have been natural for the last 5 years. I have been experiencing a lot of Hair loss. I am lucky that I have pretty thick hair so no one notices but me. I am also not getting in enough protein....I need some Protein Shots. While any feedback is totally welcome. Thanks again for starting the site.

P.S. I have no stretch marks thus far and I have lost over 50lbs. I use Coconut oil on my hair and skin. That's it.

Hello to all,

I am so glad to see this post, I really enjoyed this website when I was initially going through the beginning of my WLS journey. But as time went on it no longer seemed to benefit me...that is until I found this post. First a little bit about me I am a 27 y/o AA female who was sleeved on August 27, 2010. My starting weight was 236 (I'm 52') and I am currently holding steady at 185. While initially I didn't have a goal wieght it seems to me that 165 will be a good stopping point. I researched quite a bit before the surgery and did a little soul searching to make sure I was truly doing this for me (versus my husband or child). It is a decision that I have not yet come to regret. I wanted to chime in on some of the things I have seen mentioned.

hair LOSS

Up until 2 months ago I would have said no but I continue to see more and more strands falling out. I have thick hair and recently cut it short so I really can't tell exactly how much, but I know my bathroom counter and shoulders are covered when ever I get done doing my hair.

VOMITTING

Only once at the very early stages when I probably shouldn't have been eating what I was eating (bourbon marinated salmon). But a lesson quickly learned.

SOUL food

I still cook and enjoy this food just no where near in the quantities that I use too. I explained to my in laws nephews mother father and sisters and they all seem to adapt well. I still catch them staring every now and again, but I think they are still just amazed to see the "old me" coming through.

These are just a few things that I have come across since my surgery, I also live down south so I still gets some strange looks after I tell people that I have had the surgery. Please feel free msg me if you have any more questions.

Ms. TVirg

Tomrrow is the do or deny day for wls! I'll keep you posted as soon as I know something. In the mean time, I would like to thank all of you for your support and prayers and though I may not continuing posting if I'm denied but I surely will return when I get on the ban wagon to have wls! Tthanx! I love you guys!!! :P

I am just starting my journey, so I don't have anything to add to this post, but I am so glad that you all have taken the time out to give advice and tell about your experiences for people like me. I just wanted to stop by and show my support. I'm looking forward to more useful information to come.

Hello Ladies,

Words can not express how I'm feeling right now. From the moment the ins. rep told me that I was approved for wls, my life started to change at that very moment. I am so blessed and grateful that "it's my turn now"! Faithfulness is a powerful force and I'm just so happy to share it with others!

Pre-op 2/24

Surgery schedule 3/1

1st day liquid diet 2/16

Thanx!

Hey everybody,

I am due to be sleeved March 28th in Houston. I also live in the Atlanta area. I started out investigating the lap band and changed my mind to the sleeve. My sis lives in Houston and the prices are cheaper there (I am self pay) so I am going out there for a couple of weeks and get it done. I cant wait. Unfortunately my husband is not too happy about the whole thing but he knows how determined I am to get this done so he is resigned to it I guess. I think, no, I know he thinks that I am going to fail again. He really does not understand. But from my point of view he doesn't have to understand. I told him just to accept.

Hi kayfreeatlast, Congrats and good luck on your upcoming surgery. I know what you are going through in regards to your husband. My husband is being supportive only because I've made my decision and I'm not changing my mind. I hated to be so harsh, but I told him he can either get on board with my decision or sit back and watch. This train is taking off either way!! Of course he'd prefer if I lost weight without surgery. He doesn't think I need it. However, he now understands that I need his support in order to make this transformation successful (after meeting my surgeon). My brother in law is giving me a hard time. He's trying very hard to prove his point that I don't need the surgery. He told me that I was being selfish. I told him, he is right about me being selfish. For the first time in a long time, I'm putting me first. I need to take care of me in order to take care of my daughter. If that's being selfish, then so be it.