Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking to make the 20 somethings forum active

Hello everyone!

I'm 21 and went to my first seminar on April 4th. I am (impatiently) waiting for my consultation on June 6th... 39 days left!

Hi Leah! I am also a newbie. I already went to my seminar but I still have to schedule my first appointment. Luckily for me though the first is a mix of a consult/physical/history so once I do that I can get the ball moving with all of the pre-op testing and such. Where are you having your surgery?

Hi Leah! I am also a newbie. I already went to my seminar but I still have to schedule my first appointment. Luckily for me though the first is a mix of a consult/physical/history so once I do that I can get the ball moving with all of the pre-op testing and such. Where are you having your surgery?

Hi Emily.

My doctor is also doing something similar to the consult/physical/history... they use a site called Digital Bariatrics to track patient information, doc visits, and all that fun stuff. Before my visit, I have to make sure I have my entire medical history filled out on there so I don't have to do it during my consult. Luckily, I live less than 10 minutes away from Barix Clinic here in Michigan. It is an entire hospital dedicated to bariatric surgery. I have to wait until June 6 because I won't have insurance until then. *sigh* Where are you having your surgery at?

Hi Emily.

My doctor is also doing something similar to the consult/physical/history... they use a site called Digital Bariatrics to track patient information, doc visits, and all that fun stuff. Before my visit, I have to make sure I have my entire medical history filled out on there so I don't have to do it during my consult. Luckily, I live less than 10 minutes away from Barix Clinic here in Michigan. It is an entire hospital dedicated to bariatric surgery. I have to wait until June 6 because I won't have insurance until then. *sigh* Where are you having your surgery at?

I'm in Jax, Fl. My surgeon does many of his bands at their surgical center, but all of his sleeves are done at the local hospital because he keeps them at least overnight. I have never been there (luckily!) before, except for the seminar.... so hopefully they have nice staff. I think the entire hospital dedicated to bariatric surgery is a wonderful idea! The "digital bariatrics" sounds awesome as well. I bet if most hospitals were that organized it would make the entire insurance issue much easier. I am lucky insurance wise, I am still covered under my mom's policy and they state quite clearly that as long as you meet certain qualifications that they cover it.

Good luck with the wait!

Hi all, I'm 29 and I was sleeved in mid-December 2010. So far I've lost 70 pounds. I'm about half-way to my goal.

One of the reasons why I chose the sleeve was because I was tired of being overweight in my 20s...I wanted to experience everything that your 20s/30s has to offer - instead of feeling sluggish and embarrassed about my weight.

For those above worried about the surgery itself - I had a good experience. I was in some pain and discomfort in hospital and I found it difficult to sleep. The surgery itself went fine. I stayed in hospital for 4 days (I was sleeved in Australia where you are required to stay in a few days rather than overnight). Once I was home I found the biggest annoyance was getting through the liquids/mushies - that has probably been the most difficult part of the whole journey. I was back at work after around 2.5 weeks.

I'm starting to feel fantastic and my successes are encouraging me to keep going and really be strict about my Protein intake etc and up my exercise. I haven't noticed any skin issues so far...fingers crossed it stays that way.

Since I started my pre-op diet up until now I've only had one stall, which lasted two weeks. I was eating too many carbs those weeks so I know why I stalled. I broke the stall the following week in a big way and ended up with a huge loss that week. So, if you do stall - just try to stay positive and be strict with your exercise, protein/water intake - it will pay off eventually.

Hope that answers some questions for you guys waiting for your surgery.

Good luck all!

I am new to this site, to this thread and to the idea of sleeves!

I am 28, married for about 8 years, mommy to 1 7yo daughter. We live in Southern Illinois and my 2 younger sisters, 26 and 24 are starting this journey with me. We had our informational session today. We were the youngest 3 and it made me realize that if we don't get on the ball and do this now, our future was staring at us from the other chairs. People who have had open heart surgeries, stints in their hearts, several people with oxygen tanks, canes, walkers, a wheelchair...

I want to live. I hate watching life pass me by. I have so much more to offer, so much more passion and drive than what I am capable of right now. In 5th grade I ran track. It amazes me that I could actually run a mile without stopping. Now, I can barely walk 1/4 mile and that is with 2 breaks. I kick my butt every day for quitting track.

My initial doctor's appt is June 2nd. So a little over a month!

Hello everyone! My name is Emily and I am 20. I am in the beginning stages of getting the sleeve (went to seminar, need to make an appt) but I cannot wait to join all of the "sleevers" out there! I am from Jax, Fl. How is everyone doing?

Hey Emily, I'm Kasey. I live in Jax too and I'm 23. I'm a couple weeks into my 3 month diet I have to do for my insurance. Who's going to be your surgeon?

Hey Emily, I'm Kasey. I live in Jax too and I'm 23. I'm a couple weeks into my 3 month diet I have to do for my insurance. Who's going to be your surgeon?

I am most likely going to go with Dr. Pinnar. He works with Dr. Cywes but has a ton of experience and actually teaches other doctors how to do these surgeries. I met him at the seminar and he seemed really caring and easily approachable. My mom is doing this with me as well and she liked him as well. I have not yet had my first appointment but hopefully it will be soon. I am hoping to avoid the 3 month diet as my insurance has an "or" option that I would be doing anyways, so maybe smile.gif. Who is your surgeon?

I am most likely going to go with Dr. Pinnar. He works with Dr. Cywes but has a ton of experience and actually teaches other doctors how to do these surgeries. I met him at the seminar and he seemed really caring and easily approachable. My mom is doing this with me as well and she liked him as well. I have not yet had my first appointment but hopefully it will be soon. I am hoping to avoid the 3 month diet as my insurance has an "or" option that I would be doing anyways, so maybe smile.gif. Who is your surgeon?

I'm going with Dr. Cywes! Oh that's so cool we're going to be at the same place. I liked Dr. Pinnar a lot and could easily go with him too. He talked to my mom and I a long time and answered all of our questions. I hope you can avoid the 3 month diet because it's a pain in the ass! lol I hate it. Maybe I'll see you at a support group down the line, my name is Kasey. :)

I'm going with Dr. Cywes! Oh that's so cool we're going to be at the same place. I liked Dr. Pinnar a lot and could easily go with him too. He talked to my mom and I a long time and answered all of our questions. I hope you can avoid the 3 month diet because it's a pain in the ass! lol I hate it. Maybe I'll see you at a support group down the line, my name is Kasey. :)

That is awesome!! I haven't met Dr. Cywes yet and I just made my appointment with Dr. Pinnar for next wednesday. Did they give you any trouble with choosing the sleeve over the band? Also, what is your three-month diet? I might have too :( I have to admit I am really excited to have met someone using the same office and in the same age group!

Hi All! Thought I check in.... well I am about 14 weeks out and only down 53 pounds. I am happy with that though I thought it would be more. But I was having a talk with my girlfriend who said that a slower weightloss is what I need not to bring any sideeyes from my job (I work in public health in the obesity and physical activity field), to get my husband use to my changes (he has not complained that I am "too thin" yet.) She think the slow weightloss allows him to get use to my body in phases. He likes big women. He maaried me at my highest of 331. My hair is holding up. I have been keeping it braided up with either tree braids or a sew-in. When I do take it out, I deep condition and let it stay ot for about a week to see how or if it shedding. My skin look okay (my breast area is the worst). I told my hubby that I will propably get a breast job at the end of my journey ;-)

I just came off a 9 day stall, so yes stalling does keep happing for me at least once a month. I haven' t worked out in about 23 days by doctors orders. I have a seperate condition that is demanding no physical activity until after my second round of meds are completed and I have another chest X-ray.

So overall I am pleased. I know this is a marathon and not a race. My next overly ambitious goal is to be at 200 pounds by my daughter's 1st birthday July 6. I have 28 pounds to go. I don't think I will make it but shooting for it gives me motivation. I go back for my medical check up in 7 days, so I hope to get approval to workout. If I do, then I have a chance.

hope you ladies are doing well and feeling great. Have a blessed day.

I'm 25 years, I got sleeved on April 5th and so far I have managed to lose 75 pounds.

WOW!!! That is amazing! You have definitely come to the right place, this is a great place for support and answers to questions. There doesn't seem to be many of us in our 20's but there are a few :) I am 20 in Jax, FL but I have not been sleeved yet.

Congrats on the weight loss :)

Hi All! Thought I check in.... well I am about 14 weeks out and only down 53 pounds. I am happy with that though I thought it would be more. But I was having a talk with my girlfriend who said that a slower weightloss is what I need not to bring any sideeyes from my job (I work in public health in the obesity and physical activity field), to get my husband use to my changes (he has not complained that I am "too thin" yet.) She think the slow weightloss allows him to get use to my body in phases. He likes big women. He maaried me at my highest of 331. My hair is holding up. I have been keeping it braided up with either tree braids or a sew-in. When I do take it out, I deep condition and let it stay ot for about a week to see how or if it shedding. My skin look okay (my breast area is the worst). I told my hubby that I will propably get a breast job at the end of my journey ;-)

I just came off a 9 day stall, so yes stalling does keep happing for me at least once a month. I haven' t worked out in about 23 days by doctors orders. I have a seperate condition that is demanding no physical activity until after my second round of meds are completed and I have another chest X-ray.

So overall I am pleased. I know this is a marathon and not a race. My next overly ambitious goal is to be at 200 pounds by my daughter's 1st birthday July 6. I have 28 pounds to go. I don't think I will make it but shooting for it gives me motivation. I go back for my medical check up in 7 days, so I hope to get approval to workout. If I do, then I have a chance.

hope you ladies are doing well and feeling great. Have a blessed day.

53 lbs is great! I'm sure it does seem slow (I am not at that stage yet, but slow is always hard) but it is said that people who lose slowly but consistently are the people who keep it off.. and long-term that is what matters most! 14 weeks feels like a lot of time while you are going through it, but really 14 weeks is only 3 1/2 months... round up to 4 months, that is only 1/3 of a year.... if you keep this up you could lose 150 pounds in a year... I don't remember how much you are aiming to lose but that is a lot in one year!! You are really doing great!!

Thank you for updating :)

Hi everyone..... My name is Amanda. I am 27 years old and I am just starting my weight loss surgery journey. I have decided to get the gastric sleeve. My surgery date is pending. I am new to this site! A little bit about myself........well I am a mother of two, a girl age 7 and a boy age 2. I am married to a wonderful guy going on 6 years. I decided to get the sleeve a few months ago. I will be having my surgery at Kiaser Permanente in Fresno, CA. They have 3 weight loss surgeons so I am not sure which one will be doing my surgery. They require you to see a nutritionist and have a mental health evaluation. I have passed the mental health evaluation and I see the nutritionist one more time on June 8th, 2011 and will more than likely be cleared by her for my surgery. They next step they tell me after all that is that I will get an appointment with one of the 3 surgeons and then once I meet with him I'll get my surgery date. I am working on loosing the weight that is required before your surgery. I heard they require you to loose about 10% of your body weight so for nme that is about 26-27lbs and so far I have been faithfully dieting for almost 3 weeks now and doing some walking and light running also and so far have lost about 10lbs. So I hope to have the other 17 lbs off by the time I get to see the surgeon and hope to have my surgery done by July or August 2011. I only have a few supportive people in my family right now and thats one of the reasons I have decided to join this site.

Oh and you probably would like to know my hieght, weight, and bmi........well I am 5'7" starting weight of 258 currently right now I am 248. My starting bmi was 39.95.

Hey I'm Candace I'm 23, I was sleeved on April 4th 2011, and so far I have lost 48lbs. I'm hoping to loose more, since I've started solid food my weight loss has slowed down alot but as long as I stay in the gym and keep my Protein and Water intake high, the pounds are still rolling off, this last week I managed to get 4lbs off, so all in all I'm very happy with my decision to have the surgery!