Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost 18 lbs. in the first three weeks after surgery, then nothing. It has been 17 days now since I have lost anything. I am starting to get discouraged as you might imagine. I was wondering how long other people have gone in their stalls.

My longest stall has been about 15 or 16 days, then I finally dropped 1 pound lol...keep hope alive you will drop soon :)

I went on a stall once that lasted 4 months. My body never wanted to lose consistently. I always lost, then would not lose again for weeks, then drop 5 lbs.

4 months. No, really! But don't let that scare you... here's why:

Even from the beginning, I always had a week or week and a half during every month where nothing happened on the scale... this is normal, your body occasionally holds Water when it senses that it needs to regulate itself, then it decides everything's OK, and you magically "lose" several pounds overnight. Thing is, you're still losing fat during that time, which is why you'll constantly see people wondering how their clothes can be getting smaller when they're not losing any weight. ;)

As for my big stall, which I've finally broken through over the last week... well, it wasn't exactly a stall. What happened was that I'd started running and allowed more carbs into my diet.... usually healthy ones, like Fiber One, fruits, nuts, things like that, but more carbs nonetheness. Then I slowed down on the running as the weather got cold and crappy (I'm in Michigan) and eventually stopped altogether around Thanksgiving, and didn't adjust me eating to compensate for it. Then the holidays-hoooo, boy, I completely lost my sense of purpose there for a couple of weeks.

Amazingly, I did NOT gain weight and I 100% have the sleeve to thank for that!

So it wasn't really a stall, but more like I slipped into maintenance mode. I have come to realize though, that I can not lose weight if I go over about 40 grams of carbs a day on a consistent basis.

Here's the really good news: I've been back on the wagon, doing super-low carb and lots of Protein, since Monday, and so far I've got 5 pounds and great restriction to show for it. :D I slipped under 170 lbs. yesterday, putting me less than 10 lbs away from my first long-term goal! I say first because I'm pretty sure I want to go another 12 lbs. or so past that.

I have gotten completely off-track... well, kinda not, because my point is, don't let stalls worry you. They're normal, they happen and your sleeve DOES WORK and will ALWAYS work!! If it seems to last longer than you think it should, re-evaluate what you're eating and make sure you're taking in enough Protein and Water, and not to many carbs. For many of us, they really are disastrous. Hope it breaks soon for you!

Whew...you guys are lifesavers for my emotional well-being! :) The last few months have been kind of rough...finally this last week I have started losing again, although slowly, and I was worried that I was sabotaging myself! I hadn't really lost anything since mid-December. Thanks for the reminder that I'm still going in the right direction, not gaining, and that I just need to be patient as I get closer to goal! :)

I think about 12 days has been my longest, and I'm only 3 months post-op. I'm sure there will be longer ones in store for me

Well, I'm only 4 months out of surgery but my longest stall was about 21 days with no loss at all. Seemed like an eternity.

I'm almost 3 months out and just broke my 19 day stall. My god if I had a 4 month stall I would seriously lose my mind but at least now I know if it does happen I'm not the only one.

I had a super long stall 12/25/10-1/9/11 :( did I win??? LOL

Thank you for posting this thread! I am on 9 or 10 days and really kind of in the dumps about it. I know I need to eat less carbs bc I have been drinking Myoplex which in itself has 19g of carbs. Had a talk with the nutritionist today and she just said the same old... up the Protein and Water and lower the carbs.

I'm about 9 weeks out and I've had a 22-24 day stall. During that time I bounced between 218-220. Yesterday i was so happy because I finnaly broke my stall and weighed in at 216... Well today, guess what, back to 118. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper about that. But, I know it's ok, I just need to relax because it'll happen. It's true, my clothes feel bigger. People at work keep complementing me and guys are starting to check me out, lol. I just want to get to Onederland SOOO bad.rolleyes.gif

The other stall I had was about 3 weeks out and that lasted for 10 days, but then I dropped 6 lbs overnight.

Yes. They suck!!! But, you will lose the weight.

Keep us updated on your progress!

:D

I am going through the same thing, but I did something different a friend adviced me too do and i lost 4 lbs over night. Of course healthy diet just like the dr recommended, i walked on the threadmill for 40 minutes and slept 7 hours. That really helped, I hope that works for u too!

I lost 18 lbs. in the first three weeks after surgery, then nothing. It has been 17 days now since I have lost anything. I am starting to get discouraged as you might imagine. I was wondering how long other people have gone in their stalls.

My longest stall was 3 weeks -- no change in anything. It was hard. That was around Thanksgiving last year.

But, then I lost a bunch. And guess what? I just gained 2 pounds after doing everything right. So, looks like I might be headed into another stall. Oh well.

You know it's just the body fighting back -- it doesn't realize that we're trying to be healthier -- it's job is to maintain the weight (or gain it) in case of famine. Right now, the body thinks I'm in the middle of a famine. I figure if I keep doing what is right eventually it will come off. Now it might not come off as fast as I want, but it definitely will come off.

The great thing about the sleeve is that I will outlast any defenses my body puts up -- I don't have to worry about regaining as with the RNY, I don't have to worry about fighting hunger urges like with the band. I have the sleeve which limits my food and makes me not want to eat!! Hurray!! So guess who's gonna win this weight battle?? yep, you know it! ;)

I am just shy of my six month mark and am just coming out of a six week stall. I ate some fat, about 1/4 of a steak and a bite of a cupcake, and I think that is what did it for me. Down three pounds since Sunday, which is really good for me. I tend to stall more than lose these days, but hey, I am still losing right?