Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I'm going thru all the tests that my surgeon orderd and do not have a date yet for VGS

I have to say I'm concerned about the Hair loss part. I understand it's between

3 to 6 months. Does it stop?

Well, I had surgery in middle of August and my hair loss started somewhere around the middle of October and has been horrible. I have a ton of hair thank god because right now I am down between 40-45%, I turned my vacuum over the other day to put a new belt on it and I was horrified to see big one inch sections of the turning sweeper covered in my hair. I had to get the scissors and cut it from around it. I had a small zip lock baggy full of my hair and that is just what was picked up around the house. That doesn't even account for the gobs that has come out in my wide tooth comb, in the shower when I wash and when I style my hair along with what got sucked into the vacuum and swept up from my bathroom floor.

I was embarassed to go get my hair colored (afraid it would make it worse by over processing it) and I cancelled my appt with my stylist and decided to just put a color on at home. So I picked up two boxes of temporary hair color hoping it would go easier then my usual processing and I was freaked out when it only took one bottle of it to color my hair. I always always had to use two boxes even when my hair was shoulder length. Now it is at the middle of my back and it only took one bottle? I hope this crap stops soon or else I seriously will have NO hair left.

I had a problem with hair loss too. When the Dr. checked my Protein levels he said they were great, that sometimes it just happens due to the stress to your body when losing so much weight. Luckily too I have lots of hair and most people probably didn't even notice. It started at 3 months or a little before and stopped at 9 months. It is coming back really well now.

I think it is pretty rare with the sleeve though so you probably won't have that problem.

From what I hear, it is fairly common around the 3-6month point. It is a pain and will freak you out, but just remember that it is temporary and it will grow back. Small price to pay for a new body :) I have really thick hair so I wasn't worried about it happening, but I lost a ton! It seems to be slowing down alot, so I will just be patient now, not one of my finer attributes lol.

my surgery was Sept 9th and yep hair is coming out! I have to say, I was freaked out when in the shower and EVERY day when rinsing my conditioner out, I would find anywhere from 8-15 hair strands left in my hand-this is EVERY DAY! So I have decided not to wash my hair every day but every other, and stuff like volumizer/thickener. My blood tests were done, everything was in check so I will wait this one out. It's a small price to pay, my sleeve is amazing!

My doctor and his staff told that Hair loss is something I am going to experience so I have to simply accept it. They said that after so many months your body feels that it is being starved and stops doing some unnecessary things like producing and supporting hair. They said that after your body realized everything is okay, it will start producing and supporting your hair.

My doctor and his staff told that Hair loss is something I am going to experience so I have to simply accept it. They said that after so many months your body feels that it is being starved and stops doing some unnecessary things like producing and supporting hair. They said that after your body realized everything is okay, it will start producing and supporting your hair.

Yep, it doesn't really matter if you are getting all of your Protein or not (of course you want to get in at least the levels that they recommend). hair loss is inevitable with this surgery. The PA explained it to me really well last week - she said that when your body goes through the shock of the surgery and the subsequent rapid weight loss, that it freaks out thinking it is dying and it sends ALL of its energy to your major organs in an attempt to save you. Your hair is simply NOT a major organ and suffers and dies basically while your body is saving those organs that you need to live. Makes sense to me.

Doesn't make the Hair loss any easier. I am almost bald on the top now and it is awful :-( I had very thin, fine hair to begin with and half of it is gone now and I am only at 3 1/2 months! One of my friends who lost her hair during chemo said to just bite the bullet and shave my head and wear wigs but I can't get myself to do it. I've bought 5 wigs now but just can't get used to wearing them.

It really is awful! But would I go back? NO WAY! Down 52 lbs with another 53 to go and I feel better than I have felt in years. :-)

I have a ton of hair -- literally a ton. But I started losing about 3 weeks ago. And I'm losing a LOT every day. I only wash my hair once a week in an effort not to lose too much and I only brush once a day -- still it's coming out in clumps. No kidding. I'm really hoping that because I had what every single hairdresser I ever had said, "the most hair they'd ever seen," that I will not go bald, it really is very very scary. I've never ever worried about my hair but yet, yesterday it started coming out in strands. Everyday I have a whole hairbrush full of hair. I don't know if I can go another 6 months and still have hair!

I have a ton of hair -- literally a ton. But I started losing about 3 weeks ago. And I'm losing a LOT every day. I only wash my hair once a week in an effort not to lose too much and I only brush once a day -- still it's coming out in clumps. No kidding. I'm really hoping that because I had what every single hairdresser I ever had said, "the most hair they'd ever seen," that I will not go bald, it really is very very scary. I've never ever worried about my hair but yet, yesterday it started coming out in strands. Everyday I have a whole hairbrush full of hair. I don't know if I can go another 6 months and still have hair!

I have very thick hair too... and to the middle of my back. When one hair falls out, it fills my brush! I really have relied on my hair to be the one thing that was "superior" about my looks at times...haha, oh well, I guess I will have to get over myself on that one now! I belly dance, and the long hair is sort of part of the costume. I have had my hair fall out in handfuls once before. It finally came back, and was pretty funny when I had short little hair sticking out from my longer hair where it was growing back again. At least it grew back! Looks like I will be looking for a good haircut soon. I have a friend who is getting sleeved in Feb, and is know to shave her head once in a while. I'm sure she will do it again for this! Good luck all, its sooo worth it! I want to see photos of solutions....

I'm losing some - not in clumps, but about 2x more than I'd normally lose. I eat more than most people on here, so I can tell you for sure that it's not a malnutrition thing, but a reaction to surgery (telogen effluvium).

My hair is coming out like craaaaaazy, and hasn't stopped yet, but it will, and it was worth it all :)

Ps I take Biotin and get enough Protein, go figure

If you're willing to invest the time and if necessary, some extra money, you can get a very realistic looking wig. I say go for it. I've been doing fine with the basic $25 - $30 models, but I'm thinking about investing in a more expensive one in the near future - maybe one of the high quality lace front kind.

The minute my hair started shedding - at 5 months- I immediately ran out and got a wig. I don't intend to be stressed about it everyday and wonder if someone's looking at how thin it's getting. I have very thick hair but I don't want the stress of styling it every day to make the shedding worse. I know wigs aren't for everyone, but I suggest that people who are seriously thinning at least try one for a few days, maybe over the weekend or something. You might find yourself getting used to it and those few months of waiting for your hair follicles to rebound won't seem so bad.

I am almost 5 months out. I have always had very fine and very thin hair so this has been a major worry for me. Knock on wood so far no Hair loss.< /p>