Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bread has become a slider for me. So, if you're a bread lover, try to cut it now while you're losing because once you get further out, and can eat 2-3 times as much as you can right now (AND YES it's normal to be able to eat more around 6-9 months out), just know that bread can be sneaky, and the scale can creep up.

It's these little monsters that got us fat, and it's way easier to eat a big fattening grilled cheese sandwich on Texas Toast than it is to eat 4oz of steak. Because let's be honest with one another, grilled cheeses are yummy, and filling and warm, and cozy and remind us of our loving childhood, and well steak is steak. Or chicken is chicken, and sometimes we just want a grilled cheese. I could not eat a grilled cheese to save my life for almost a year, and GUESS WHAT? ? ? I can eat an grilled cheese sandwich minus all the crust.

Just a little tidbit from someone that's further out and maintaining, but it's not always an easy thing when foods that once were eaten in tiny quantities all of a sudden become foods that slide right down, and don't really stay with us very long.

Aaaaaagggghhhh!!!! ohmy.gif

Besides being a bread lover I love most carbs. I am definitely a carboholic (should've been my screen name, LOL). Definitely carbs are why I got and stayed fat for so many years. However, I will confess that part of why I wanted the sleeve was to be able to eat ANYTHING (including my beloved carbs) just in much smaller portions. Now it sounds like maybe not ... at least for many months. I had no intentions of going hog wild on the bread, maybe a little tortilla with egg, or a little naan with chicken curry.

At least now I know when I first try to eat bread to not do it in a restaurant ... it would not be a pretty sight to regurgitate a chewed up piece of bread in a public setting!

Gosh your post made me laugh! especially envisioning the restaurant trip with you chewing like a mad woman then regurgitating the piece of bread! that is so funny. . .but seriously honey, be careful with the bread. . the naan will definately kill you honey, it's to dense, i make naan with my chicken curry and still can't do well with it. . but i get a piece down every now and then with some discomfort. . . you'll do fine good luck and all the best to you!

twogirlsandaboy,

I have been able to eat anything else I wanted to eat red meat, chicken, pork, Pasta, rice, etc. The key is to eat Protein first and keep your carbs low. I have lost 62 pounds since my surgery date because I get all my Protein in and all of my Water, I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and I take my Vitamins. So that's a little background info into my diet. Outside of this sometimes I crave bread. I will try toasting the bread a little more then I normally do to see how that works thanks for the tip!

I am 7 weeks out and I am not allowed red meat yet, nor do I want it. Same with Pork, they are very hard to digest and I am protecting my new stomach. Rice, bread and Pasta are things of the past as I did not go through all this to go right back to the bad eating habits. I don't want to just lose weight, I want to eat healthy too.

I have to agree with Tiffykins, the more you can stay away from bread and other carbs the better. I never thre up anything, but by 9 months out, I could eat a lot of carbs just because I let them crepe in. I can only eat about 6 ounces of meat and veggies at a sitting, but I can eat double or triple that in carbs.

I backed up and took most carbs out and am eating mostly meats and vegetables and now I feel full all the time again and don't want that stuff any more.

I think it's funny that some imply that you are unhealthy simply because you do not do things exactly as they do. I mean honestly, how many times have we seen that many nutritionist have different people on different plans.

I am a 6'2 tall woman who is not slight of build, is it not possible that my body requires something more or less then someone who is much smaller? Is it not possible that my team of people ( doctor, nutritionist, and trainer) know more about how to craft a diet that more thoroughly reflects what I specifically need then someone following a standard plan thrown out at WLS patients?

I asked about how to make bread more tolerable for my diet. I did not ask for judgement, nor for snide comments intended to just make you feel better about yourself. Newsflash -- we all needed weightloss surgery hence food was a problem for ALL of us. We are ALL on a journey to be a healthier person.

Mommy2Girls - lol trust me I know the feeling.

Eureka - I tried the toast trick with a small slice of rye bread and it worked wonders! I had to double toast it so it was nice and crunchy but it most certainly worked! YAYYYY.

Kris - I was definitely a carb girl too and a sweets monster. The sweets were easy to cut out the carbs not so much. I had to literally go through and find substitutes for the standard things like mashed potatos and rice. Once I got accustomed to it, I was fine.

Tiffykins and Chilo1 - I hope to get where you are one day!

I think it's funny that some imply that you are unhealthy simply because you do not do things exactly as they do. I mean honestly, how many times have we seen that many nutritionist have different people on different plans.

I am a 6'2 tall woman who is not slight of build, is it not possible that my body requires something more or less then someone who is much smaller? Is it not possible that my team of people ( doctor, nutritionist, and trainer) know more about how to craft a diet that more thoroughly reflects what I specifically need then someone following a standard plan thrown out at WLS patients?

I asked about how to make bread more tolerable for my diet. I did not ask for judgement, nor for snide comments intended to just make you feel better about yourself. Newsflash -- we all needed weightloss surgery hence food was a problem for ALL of us. We are ALL on a journey to be a healthier person.

I agree 100% with you Leesey. Whay got me fat was eating huge amounts of whatever I could get my hands on, not a few pieces of toast. I had this surgery to be able to lose weight eating smaller portions, but a varied diet. Varied being the key word here. I dieted all my life, or at least for a good 31 years. Diets made me fat in the first place. There is scientific proof of that. This is not a diet for me, it'a a way of life!

BTW I'm not quite there yet Leesey but I'm taking it easy, I exercise quite a lot and hope to be at goal by my 42nd Bday on the 13th March! Good luck to you!

Okay so I had surgery 12/8/10 5 weeks and 2 days ago and I still can not eat bread. People I love bread. The minute I swallow it, it then comes back up. HELP!

Before the sleeved....if stress it was a tub of butter with a loaf of hot fresh french bread....OMG, I miss it but I have not given in. My nutritionist has not recommended bread for the 6 weeks and then not whole wheat as it may be distressful to the stomach. I have settled on trying melba toast which breaks down very quickly andwhile it is not french bread it, it is good spread with the laughing cow cheese. Right now I am watching my carbs as I noticed with exceeding 40-50g a day my weight loss slowed down drastically. Now that I am keeping it to 30 or less per day, the scale is moving again. Just be patient and the time will come again that you will be able to partake in slice of bread.

I think everyone was trying to give you support and tell you the TRUTH. I guess since no one offered you the answer you were looking for, you took it as a personal attack. How to make bread more tolerable? Turn it into a veggie

I don't think anyone was trying to make snide comments. You asked for feedback, and you got it from veterans further out than you. It's ultimately your choice what you want to do.

Leesey,

I didn't really read the replies as being judgemental of your choices. I believe that most people were simply stating what they know about their own bodies, what they have been told and what they have learned about themselves through this journey. I agree that for myself it wasn't just about the scale going down but to be healthier as well. Ultimately we all make our own choices about what we chose to put in our mouths and no one else is in control of that. I believe you have to do what is comfortable for you and base that upon advice from your team.

ATLGirl: Thank you for sharing your opinion. I was not looking for a particular answer, merely an answer to the question asked. Either someone has it or they don't. I think I clearly expressed my feelings on the issue w/o targeting anyone in particular. No need to "guess" about what I meant or asked for because my question was clearly stated.

Former_vbg: As mentioned dearly, I did not target anyone in particular which is what gave that person the opportunity to edit their response, which btw they did. Hence the reason you did not see said comment.

SarahD: I agree completely with your statement " Ultimately we all make our own choices about what we chose to put in our mouths and no one else is in control of that. I believe you have to do what is comfortable for you and base that upon advice from your team."

But it is again funny how those who have chosen to respond to the post recently have yet to address the actual question at hand...

As a former breadaholic/carboholic, I find myself looking longingly at a crescent roll or piece of texas toast like it's an old lover who knew how to knock my socks off. :lol: At 6 months out, I CANNOT eat bread to any degree of satisfaction. But, I am coming to peace with it because I can pretty much eat anything else I want. Being able to put on some size 14 pants instead of size 22 softens the blow too. :D

For me, Pasta and rice don't go down as easily as other things, but I can at least have a few bites when I want to without dire consequences. Bread doesn't make me throw up but boy it fills me up super fast and makes me uncomfortable, so I just stay away for the most part or I would never get in any Protein. I'm not sure if this will change for me at a year out, but I don't give it too much thought. If I get a hamburger, I might eat one bite of the bottom bun with the meat, and then I start in on the meat and cheese. That initial taste of the bread seems to satisfy me enough to move on. I'm kind of hoping I don't ever get to where I can chug down some bread because then I'll have to really fight with myself about it the way I am currently fighting with myself about those damn chocolate chip Cookies and cake that I have no problem eating.

Anyway, to directly address the question: I agree with others that toast and crackers do seem to work better than doughy bread. I would say to back off the bread for a couple of weeks and then try again with toast and some of the thinner breads like pita. You might not ever be able to put down a full piece of regular bread or a roll, but you should be able to find some modified ways to satisfy that taste.

That's awful....but I bet it will resolve itself. I had the sleeve on 12/29 and have only tried to eat some tofu bread which has 12 grams of Protein per very small slice! It was delicious and I had no problems. In fact, so far, no probs with anything but am trying to avoid carbs as everyone suggests. It's hard. Good luck and just think of the weight that you will lost skipping the bread!