Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I be completely honest?

So....as my date nears, I'm getting more and more nervous about my surgery. Everyone talks about nerves, and their fears for the future after VSG. I too, have my fair share of fear; but, can I be honest? The thing that I'm most worried about is waking up and still having a catheter crammed in my chooney. I know that sounds ridiculous, but EVERY TIME I've been cathed I've wound up with a killer UTI. My body hates me (my kidneys have a tendency to act up), and I'm good for one UTI every six months as it is....seriously, it's like clockwork.

I know they'll probably give me one anyways, but do you think it's possible to tell them to pull it out before I'm lucid? I swear I'll pee without it. Hell, I'll pee on command if that's what it takes to get the damn thing out of my vajayjay. Seriously...I think I have a legit phobia of catheters and their tendency to lead to urinary tract infections. I'm freaked out by it. Like...."If I wake up with a catheter still in my vaj I'm gonna beat you with it..." kinda freaked out. Oh....and beat them with the catheter bag; not my vaj. Just so we're clear.

I'm sure there's probably nothing that can be done to prevent getting the foley, but it sure does feel good to get my irrational fear out on paper (you know what I mean). Does anybody else share in this fear? The thought of somebody poking around in my lady flower weirds me out.

On a completely unrelated topic, I have successfully used four different slang terms for the female anatomy within one post. That has to be some kind of a VST record. Just trying to lighten up an otherwise terrifying situation. But all joking aside, if anybody has any recommendations or coping mechanisms for dealing with the catheter I would greatly appreciate it. Sad....I'm going in for major surgery, and this is my number one concern..not coding on the table, or developing infection; but having a tube shoved into my hoo-ha. Lovely. Oh, there's 5.

You know I've had 3 c-sections and that has always been my fear as well! I didn't get a catheter when I had my sleeve, as far as I can remeber, and if i did it was when I was under. So I undertand your fear, just ask them if they have to and if they do to put it in and take it out while you're still out,. Good luck!

I actually don't understand why so many folks talk about being cathed at all, I wasn't, my surgeon had me stop all food and drink 24 hours prior to surgery with the exception of Water and Milk of Magnesia and even both of those had to be prior to 12 hrs out so nothing by mouth from 12 hrs out. I would think this would make a person have a pretty empty bladder! I also am prone to UTIs, got them pretty regular, like once a month, before a serious drug therapy.

I didn't have a catheter either. They stop you from eating and drinking well before the surgery, so there's not a lot left inside of you . . . and then when they put the IV in, they want to make sure everything is functioning, so they kept checking to see how much I peed, with measuring cup, etc. (gross). So no catheter.

me neither, i wasn't cathed. . .maybe this is something you should discuss with your surgeon like now and on the day of surgery. . .good luck!

I did have a cath but it was done after I went to surgery and removed in post op. I knew I would have one but never knew I had one if you know what I mean. Talk to the doctor and ask about it. Just try to remember that the reason they do it is to monitor you and to make sure everything is working properly. Take a deep breath and just focus on the purpose of the surgery....the sleeve....the rest is just a minor detail. Good Luck.

All I can say is aside from the Surgeon himself I love the anesthesia team, those guys are to me the most important they allow me to relax and sleep while my life gets to a better place. As far as the foley, if it is done by an experienced person you should feel zero discomfort, and lucky for us ladies it is much easier than the guys getting one! When I went in just as for my previous 3 C-sections I shake the surgeon's hand he asks me if I have any questions if I know which procedure I am getting and I always reply: "I trust that you'll do a great job." Then seriously leave it to him and God, knowing the hell that medical school can be and the extensive training these guys go through, their passion for their work, and of course gotta check the reputation what can you do but enjoy the fact that you are being given a new life. I honestly felt like I was getting a new heart as in a new chance, go in with a positive outlook already imagine yourself at your goal weight, the fears and anxiety anesthesia can handle those for you. plane.gifKeep us updated best of luck to you!

I had a cath, and it was in for a good day afterwards. In the first 24 hours they gave me 3 bags of antibiotics and I went through a bag of saline every 8 hours so I was thankful that I had one in so I didn't have to get up all the time to go.

But a few hours prior to me leaving they did take it out and measured how much I could go on my own so it was all a piece of cake!

Good luck and you will do great! Just let the doctor know that you tend to get UTI so if they put in a cath then to give you antibiotics afterwards.

I was just sleeved on Tuesday the 11th and I didn't have one either. I asked my Doctor before and was told no drainage tube and no Cath! I was EXCITED! I've had so many Cath's I NEVER want another one!!!

I too would ask if they can give you antibotics right away knowing that you get an UTI each time you have a cath! I had one, they put it in after I was asleep and I had keep it in until after I passed the leak test the next morning! Good Luck!

I didn't have a cath at all and I am so glad, as that freaks me out. Two hours after surgery with a little help from the nurse I walked to the bathroom and went every two hours after that for about 12 hours. (They were pumping me full of fluids) I was glad to get up and often used the opportunity to take a walk in the hall. I also didn't have any pain from the gas, so I think the walking really helped.

I had a cath for 24 hours post op and truth be told I am glad, cause I could not have gotten up all that quick to go and ALL those BAGS of fluids in , meant fluids out

On the down side of it, a male nurses aid came to take it out, I said ahh no offense but please get me a woman :)

I'm pre-op and I've been so worried about getting everything done (tests & dr. exams) that I hadn't really thought about the fact that some unknown person on the surgically team would be shoving something into my lady-bits... Now I'm freaking out! Thanks a lot. ;)