Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs, how much is too much?

I know we are supposed to stay on high Protein low carb , but I have never been given an actual number for carbs.

what number were you given to stay under?

My doc told me to stay under 40 g. per day. That might not seem low, but once you start calculating your food, it's not a hard number to get to!

My dr. also didn't specify grams in my literature. He likes the 75% 25% theory (so every meal 75% of your meal is Protein and 25% is complex carbs). Thank goodness for this forum, because I've seen the number 30 a lot. As in, 30g or less of carbs. I do track my food and most days my carbs are between 20-50, so I would say I'm loosely following the 30g a day deal.

thanks for the reponses... I guess I have been eating too many.

the Protein bar I eat in the morning has 22gms of carbs alone

I don't count carbs at all, just try to eat enough Protein.< /p>

I could not lose if my carb count went over 30 per day.

I didn't watch carb counts as close as others ... I say if you are losing, don't change anything. If you are stalling or have stopped losing, dropping carbs could we a way to get things moving again.

I have a lot of carbs, from 50 to 100 on any given day, I'm working on it, but it's hard because most of my carbs come from milk and I'm not giving up milk. I also have weight watcher's wrap sometimes, a slice of wholemeal toast a few times a week, veggies everyday and a fruit most days. (at least most of my carbs are slow releasing good carbs :P )

well I am still loosing so I guess I will just push on change only if needed.. Thanks mini

Chillo

have you tried Calorie Countdown by hood.. it is a dairy product and tates like milk but only has 3 carbs per serving.. just google and you will get the info..

i have found it at ralyes

I have a lot of carbs, from 50 to 100 on any given day, I'm working on it, but it's hard because most of my carbs come from milk and I'm not giving up milk. I also have weight watcher's wrap sometimes, a slice of wholemeal toast a few times a week, veggies everyday and a fruit most days. (at least most of my carbs are slow releasing good carbs :P )

:P

well I am still loosing so I guess I will just push on change only if needed.. Thanks mini

Chillo

have you tried Calorie Countdown by hood.. it is a dairy product and tates like milk but only has 3 carbs per serving.. just google and you will get the info..

i have found it at ralyes

Never heard of it, is it nice? I live in the UK though, I might have a look to see if I can find it , i'm a milk addict :P

My surgeon says upper limit 100 gms but he wants us to try to stay under 60 gms, which I do (usually under 30 or 40). I asked my PCP if he thought 60 gms is too high because many people on this forum have lower upper carb limits and he said 60 gms of carbs is really low. So I don't worry about it as long as I stay under 60 gms. When I stall, as I do frequently (after losing 10-12 pounds really quickly), I try cutting back on carbs, though. Sometimes it helps trigger the weight loss but not always.

My nut never gave me a limit on carbs, so these post are so helpful. Would you mind telling how many calories your eating? I'm wondering the ratio in carbs to calories intake. I eat around 850 calories and I'm staying around 40 grams of carbs but I try for 30, which seems hard and I'm a slow loser (30 pound since my surgery 11/1).

Thanks Janine

I know we are supposed to stay on high Protein low carb , but I have never been given an actual number for carbs.

what number were you given to stay under? I was told not to go under 30 grams per day and go up to 50 grams if I exercise . Mandy the Nutritionist said if you go nder 30 grams a day you will get sluggish.

If I go over about 40, my weight loss comes to a screeching halt, not matter where I am with the calories. Kinda sucks when the Vitamins alone take up 15 of those 40!