Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is why journaling food is so important!!!

So, I am experimenting with calories now that I have met goal and no longer want to lose. BUT, maintenance means no gaining either. I've been targeting 1500 calories to maintain between 125-129. (I was losing on 1200.)

Well ... I haven't been feeling too great today & didn't do a good job of journaling my food. I just logged everything in and I ate 1689 calories today. Say again??????

I am so afraid of failure. I had no idea I had eaten that much today. What is wrong with me???????????? Will this always be a struggle even with my tool? Sorry, today has not been a great day. Feeling a little sorry for myself I guess.

Mini, you really didn't go over your goal of 1500 calories by very much! 200 calories is not going to pack the weight on!

Maintenance is tricky. Just weigh yourself every day.

Don't feel bad mini me, it isn't that much, your body needs to get used to eating a "normal" amount of calories. Suppoedly to maintain you should roughly be havining aroung 1700 cal. There's a thread somewhere where Tiffykins says she eatsfrom 1200 to 2000 cal a day to maintain :)

So you slipped up (in your mind - I don't think it was a slip one bit), every day is a new day, with no mistakes in it yet, as Anne of Green Gables used to say. =) What's your exercise like? Have you calculated your BMR (not to be confused with BMI)? Now that you aren't fat, your base burn rate of calories is higher and faster. And what did you eat? Fried animal fat? Ice cream? Lard straight out of the bucket? =P Probably not. So, don't beat yourself to a pulp just yet, go for a walk around the block tonight, and get your quotient of Water in - tomorrow is a new day. =)

Thanks guys ... I realize that it wasn't a BIG slip. I think I was just more surprised because the number snuck up on me. I had no idea how many calories I had taken in during the day.

I'm not beating myself (too much B) ) just a reminder that I have to be diligent about tracking what I eat and realize this is life-long. Not just a lose it & go back to old behaviors.

I love the Anne of Green Gables analogy. Especially since my real name is Anne and the "e" is very important to me too!

At my seminar the psych said, " It isn't what you did, it is what you did, after you did what you did." In that vein, you did exactly what you should have done.... you recorded what you ate, realized you had gone over your calorie goal, and then realized you needed to make adjustments. Good for you!!! Now you can make better choices today.

Hope this helps,

AV

Thanks guys ... I realize that it wasn't a BIG slip. I think I was just more surprised because the number snuck up on me. I had no idea how many calories I had taken in during the day.

I'm not beating myself (too much B) ) just a reminder that I have to be diligent about tracking what I eat and realize this is life-long. Not just a lose it & go back to old behaviors.

I love the Anne of Green Gables analogy. Especially since my real name is Anne and the "e" is very important to me too!

You didn't slip up hardly bad at all. I don't think it will cause you to gain in any way - and you could even be spot on with how much you need to eat in order to sustain your weight. NO WORRIES!! You could fluxuate up and down a few hundred calories per day and still be ok.

Now smile!! :D

I just wanted to say though that yes, logging food is so very important. I've just started back up with it today and I'm already seeing some patterns. Especially the fact I have eaten zero fruits and veggies thus far. That isn't healthy and I'll need to address this soon.

:(

I'm not eating a healthy balanced diet whatsoever. Shame on me!!! It will get better in time though. I need to start over from scratch here, as I've fallen away from the more balanced diet approach which has always gotten me the best results in the past.

Anyway - great topic lady!! You are oh so right, logging food is way under rated!!

You guys are so awesome ... thanks for the reminders to be good to myself & the hard talks when I need it.

Diva - A great way to get some fruit in & not feel too guilty about it is the Del Monte No Sugar Added Peaches. 25 calories for a serving and 7 carbs.

I also add 1/2 cup of frozen strawberry to 1 container of Carbmaster strawberry Yogurt for a Strawberry Overload smoothie. Very low carb, good Protein and very YUMMY!!!! (You can also add a splash of sugar free Raspberry Syrup for even more flavor)

Veggies are harder for me - just seem like a lot of volume with very little payout on nutrition. I NEVER eat salads anymore, but try to have celery (with Peanut Butter for protein) or cucumber slices or green Beans. Adds a little variety.

Do others have suggestions for veggies/fruit ideas? In fact, I think I'll make this into another thread to see if we can find more of an audience. Keep an eye out.

You guys are so awesome ... thanks for the reminders to be good to myself & the hard talks when I need it.

Diva - A great way to get some fruit in & not feel too guilty about it is the Del Monte No Sugar Added Peaches. 25 calories for a serving and 7 carbs.

I also add 1/2 cup of frozen strawberry to 1 container of Carbmaster strawberry Yogurt for a Strawberry Overload smoothie. Very low carb, good Protein and very YUMMY!!!! (You can also add a splash of sugar free Raspberry Syrup for even more flavor)

Veggies are harder for me - just seem like a lot of volume with very little payout on nutrition. I NEVER eat salads anymore, but try to have celery (with Peanut Butter for protein) or cucumber slices or green Beans. Adds a little variety.

Do others have suggestions for veggies/fruit ideas? In fact, I think I'll make this into another thread to see if we can find more of an audience. Keep an eye out.

I slice a Tomato thinly and add it in with refried Beans and some cheese ina a weight watchers wrap and make a panini type of thing, I find that slightly cooked tomatoes

don't take up much space at all. Yesterday I made a lasagna but with eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and cheese, it was yummy and again not heavy to my stomach at all, full of "goodness"

Hey Mini-me...

great thread... I think you have done a brilliant job, your weight loss is amazing and so is your BMI... and you are 10lb under your goal weight... I am no where near maintance but I do understand why you are worried about gain!

I am sure that you are gonna work it out, just as you did in your losing phase... good luck and HEY, what is a couple of cals over when your BMI is 20.1 ...lol =]

Thanks Coops ... I appreciate the perspective. I think I'm at that major pivot point - I no longer need to focus on losing, but I've never figured out maintenance. It's a little scary - I keep worrying that I will wake up one day & all the fat will be back. I know it's crazy, but the fear is there. With the support of you guys, we will figure this out!

(I don't think I've ever told you, but I love your screen name. As you can tell, I love Mini-Coopers - in fact, we own 3; 2 new and the classic one in my avatar. We even named our miniature dachshund Cooper and I call him Coops a lot. :) Yes, I'm a little over the top when it comes to MINI's. )