Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other gay sleevers out there?

Add me to the list! Hoping for surgery in January 2016 and I am being quiet about it. My partner is the only person who knows I'm having a sleeve !

Where is everyone from?

Chicago here

Austin here.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Washington State here!

Does anyone else feel that weight is more of a stigma in the gay community than in society in general?

I think maybe even more so for men....

Does anyone else feel that weight is more of a stigma in the gay community than in society in general?

Not in the bear community. I'm worried about being too thin.

I agree not in the bear community. Although I don't really fit in to that (or any?) mould. I think I would have been considered a cub before but not sure. I don't really know how all that stuff works though. lol

Oh wow that's excellent!

As a woman I am always fearful of being stereotyped "butch lesbian" crap.

In reality I'm uber girly so that makes people say "you don't LOOK gay"

So apparently I can't win! Lol

Gay no. Fabulous? Hells yes. Also nosey. I look at every thread labeled "guy only" lol I mean I have a vagina but I am intrigued at the fact that humans can walk on earth with twigs and berries. I mean how do you ever ride bikes? It perplexes me!!!

*waves* I belong here. There is a Facebook group, one for WLS Men and one for WLS LGBT. If anyone is interested in joining, add me on Facebook and let me know. They are closed groups so may not be able to search them. Www.facebook.com/Richard.godfrey or rgodfrey09@gmail.com should find me

Edited by rgodfrey09

*waves* I belong here. There is a Facebook group, one for WLS Men and one for WLS LGBT. If anyone is interested in joining, add me on Facebook and let me know. They are closed groups so may not be able to search them. Www.facebook.com/Richard.godfrey or rgodfrey09@gmail.com should find me

I just messaged you on FB!

I am glad I found this. There does not seem to be a lot of support information for men out there, let alone gay men. I feel like an idiot because I literally have tears in my eyes. I was beginning to think it was only women who wanted to talk about their feeling concerning WLS.

Anyway, I started the program on December 8, 2015. Have been on the pre-op diet since then. As of today, I am down 42 Lbs, from 355. Every time I look in the mirror, I have to remind myself that I still have a long way to go (surgery on March 23).

I found the bariatric pal app because I was searching for support information that I can share with family and friends - you know, the stuff that tells them what to expect and what they can do to help. I can't find anything that addresses the needs of men. Most of the material seems to be focused on women (referencing dress sizes, reminding people that even though we lose weight, are not going to be the "Belle of the Ball..."). Does any body know of any literature that is male specific or gender neutral that I can give to my support group so that they know what they can do, or not do, to help?

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal

Oh wow that's excellent!

As a woman I am always fearful of being stereotyped "butch lesbian" crap.

In reality I'm uber girly so that makes people say "you don't LOOK gay"

So apparently I can't win! Lol

Excuse me, that is not being PC. The correct term should be "vagetarian", not 'lesbian".

:)

@@Chris408SJ on Bariatric pal, there isn't Facebook has tons of men and glbt groups!!!!

I am glad I found this. There does not seem to be a lot of support information for men out there, let alone gay men. I feel like an idiot because I literally have tears in my eyes. I was beginning to think it was only women who wanted to talk about their feeling concerning WLS.

Anyway, I started the program on December 8, 2015. Have been on the pre-op diet since then. As of today, I am down 42 Lbs, from 355. Every time I look in the mirror, I have to remind myself that I still have a long way to go (surgery on March 23).

I found the bariatric pal app because I was searching for support information that I can share with family and friends - you know, the stuff that tells them what to expect and what they can do to help. I can't find anything that addresses the needs of men. Most of the material seems to be focused on women (referencing dress sizes, reminding people that even though we lose weight, are not going to be the "Belle of the Ball..."). Does any body know of any literature that is male specific or gender neutral that I can give to my support group so that they know what they can do, or not do, to help?

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal

Welcome! I do know there are a lot of men on this site that are very helpful.

We are all a community though and will try to help you in any way we can!

Kudos to you for doing a long pre op diet! I did mine from January 1st 2016 until my surgery Feburary 10th and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

Having less abdominal weight means when I roll on my side to sleep or even lay on the couch there is not as much pulling and tugging on my incisions.

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job on your pre op diet and trust me when I say it will make adjusting post op so much easier!

Congratulations on making the decision to have surgery!