Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to check on Doctors in Mexico?

Wasabubble, I think its great that you post this kind of info. Its just the sort of thing that people looking for a doc want to know. I dont know anything about Dr. Huacuz, but I just looked at his site and he's claiming 100% positive weight loss for ALL of his patient....you know thats gotta be BS

I think its weird that all these Dr. Huacuz patient are getting all upset about what your saying. If I found out that my Doc has some serious problems, I wouldnt be all personally offended...whats up with that?

What't up with it is my doctor doesn't have these so called serious problems. I know for a FACT (not hear say) that he has provided EXCELLENT care for me and all of my friends. We are all fine with him and the care he has provided us. Even when I am in Tijuana and run into other Huacuz patients, we all say the same thing. He is a GREAT doctor. What am I doing in Tijuana you may ask.... It's across the border and I love shopping there. I know the city well.

What do you consider 100% positive weight loss? Do you consider it total and complete weight loss down to "chart" weight? Do you consider it that all patients have met their goals? Or do you consider it that all patients are happy with the weight loss that they have achieved to date? I'll go with the last one.

<p>I am looking and researching Mexican doctors. I have communicated several times with Dr. Arturo Rodriguez of Monterrey. He seems to have a great reputation and many successes. Anyone have an opinion?</p>

I feel just as strong about my doc as they do theirs. I understand their frustrations with my words but I'm telling the truth.

I'm not frustrated. I'm just tired of lies.

The best are folks like Aceves, Ortiz, Rodriguez from Monterrey, and Rumbaut. They don't have the infection rate that your doc does.

I THINK MY DOCTOR IS EXCELLENT . ive lost so much weight but ive also gained a lot of knowledge about how to take better care of myself , how to eat better . i have also gained a lot of new friends and wonderful experiences . im would do it all again. i support my doctor because i am very grateful for all he has done for me . i think the reason many of his patients write at length about him is due to the fact that he is so wonderful. i think it is good to check out many doctors and make a decision based on what your intuition tells you. i did. im so glad i went to dr. huacuz. i hope that who ever someone picks , that they have a safe and successful experience.

<p>I am looking and researching Mexican doctors. I have communicated several times with Dr. Arturo Rodriguez of Monterrey. He seems to have a great reputation and many successes. Anyone have an opinion?</p>

He has a great reputation, he is well respected by his peers, his stats (as I recall, going by memory on this one) are great for slips, erosion, and infection. He is good about follow up care, and I get the impression he's a "by the book" kinda guy. I mean that in a good way, he doesn't take dangerous short cuts. He likes things just so... that's also a good thing.

Only down side (and this isn't necessary a neg to everyone) is that he's not close to the border in case of a pinch. If you had some sort of complication he is completely capable of dealing with the complication but it's just that your insurance isn't likely to cover you in Mexico. Might want to check on that with your insurance company. For example, if you were to throw a clot. Just make sure you have coverage for that since it wouldn't be easy and quick to get you across the border to a US hospital where your insurance would cover an emergency.

He is a good and safe surgeon in Monterrey, Mexico.

I'm not frustrated. I'm just tired of lies.

I don't agree they are lies. I don't have anything to do with his reputation, I didn't create it. I'm merely passing on info from the people in Mexico that do know what he's all about.

So we are still going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yofu are passing on 3rd or 4th hand information and I am passing on first hand information.

I don't agree they are lies. I don't have anything to do with his reputation, I didn't create it. I'm merely passing on info from the people in Mexico that do know what he's all about.

So we are still going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Again, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I am neither trying to change your mind nor am I trying to get you to agree with me. I am just stating my thoughts, experiences and opinions as you are.

Thanks WASaBubble Butt..... I appreciate your info. I am self pay and live in Dallas Texas. He is somewhat close by air. So that is one reason I chose him. He has provided me with an after care doctor here in Dallas that is very reputable also. I am very excited and nervous, but definatly ready to make a change in my lifestyle!!

Wasabubble, I think its great that you post this kind of info. Its just the sort of thing that people looking for a doc want to know. I dont know anything about Dr. Huacuz, but I just looked at his site and he's claiming 100% positive weight loss for ALL of his patient....you know thats gotta be BS

I think its weird that all these Dr. Huacuz patient are getting all upset about what your saying. If I found out that my Doc has some serious problems, I wouldnt be all personally offended...whats up with that?

Vixie, I have to say I agree with you and Bubble. I'm getting banded on July 17th with Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico and I would want as much information as possible. Then I can evaluate it and make a decision. It's like being defensive when your kid screws up. Is there anyone we love more than our kids and wouldn't give our lives for? But some parents are always defensive about them, if the school says they're having a problem, they think the school is wrong, rather than dispassionately evaluating the situation so you can then help your kid as much as possible, with all the facts. My two cents..

Too bad I'm one of those parents who when her kid screwed up in school, she told the pricipal to use corporal punishment (legal at that time in Coloardo) and THEN took care of it at home. I don't play with my kids or with my life or with my band. I have first hand facts. I believe Ms. Bubble would also come to the defense of her surgeon if someone told blatant lies about him.

Vixie, I have to say I agree with you and Bubble. I'm getting banded on July 17th with Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico and I would want as much information as possible. Then I can evaluate it and make a decision. It's like being defensive when your kid screws up. Is there anyone we love more than our kids and wouldn't give our lives for? But some parents are always defensive about them, if the school says they're having a problem, they think the school is wrong, rather than dispassionately evaluating the situation so you can then help your kid as much as possible, with all the facts. My two cents..

Just thought I'd throw in my .02 here which contradicts some of what I've read on this thread.

Huacuz just did a sleeve gastrectomy on a patient who frequesnts the Obesity Help VSG boards. She had a leak -- which is very rare, but also very serious. Other people commented on the thread that they "have heard he has a lot of complications" -- again, 2nd and 3rd hand info, but the woman DID experience a leak.

Alvarez has dozens of devoted fans who've had VSG surgery. I realize the discrepancy is with the lap-band and not VSG. But it just goes to show you that even if the info may be inflated, you can STILL end up with many satisfied and succesful patients...and that is probably the case with Huacuz.

Every doctor has their share of pateints who are unhappy or who have problems. Statistically, it is inevitable. And I do think MANY doctors pad their numbers. Not falsified, but probably they use any surgery they attended, assitsted or performed. I think most of them do this -- especially in Mexico.

Keep in mind, Ortiz has his own website and feedback page set up on a computer AT THE SURGERY CENTER. So while you're sucking on ice chips in a painkiller haze you are encouraged to write a review right there on site. Pretty smart, as most of us are like "I luve yuo Doctir Otiz!" at that point - haha!

I think the overall thing to look for is good patient feedback -- and be suspicious if people are too enthusiastic and have ZERO complaints or even mediocre reactions. It's surgery, not a day spa. Chances are you will notice SOMETHING that bugs you.

I went to Ortiz, and yes, I have glowing reviews. But I can also tell you it feels a bit like an assembly line, the transportation to and from the hotel could use some work. The nutritonal "counseling" is vague at best...see what I mean. Beware of someone who is just too thrilled about even the most mundane detail. "The hospital gowns were amazing!"

Reconciler,

I read your post on the Julybandsters thread and share very much your same story. The only difference is I don't smoke and I'm in my early thirties. I have been on every diet, diet pill and only had short term results. I am flying to Monterrey on July 17th as well. What time do you arrive in Monterrey? I arrive at 9:29 AM. I am going by myself and am a little nervous, but sooo excited at the same time!! Good luck to you ob your adventure!!