Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I could do a pre-op diet....

If I could do a 10 day pre-op diet I wouldn't be getting sleeved. I understand the purpose...but my first day was not all that successful. I need to get through this....

How strict is the pre-op diet? liquids suck and I personally think they're ludicrous since studies prove that super low carb shrinks the fat on the liver just as well as the all liquids. I'm sorry you are struggling, but it is for the best. If you must cheat, make it a healthy cheat, a plain chicken breast, salad, no carbs, no carbs is the best thing to shrink the fat on the liver.

The post-op liquids is tough too, and I know they suck, but that's the part that you are really going to have to fight through so you lessen your chances of complications.

How strict is the pre-op diet? Liquids suck and I personally think they're ludicrous since studies prove that super low carb shrinks the fat on the liver just as well as the all liquids. I'm sorry you are struggling, but it is for the best. If you must cheat, make it a healthy cheat, a plain chicken breast, salad, no carbs, no carbs is the best thing to shrink the fat on the liver.

The post-op liquids is tough too, and I know they suck, but that's the part that you are really going to have to fight through so you lessen your chances of complications.

Not really all that strict at all....fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, lean meat, Protein shakes and unlimited radishes, cucumbers, celery, pickles, SF pop cycles, and caffeine free drinks.

The carbs are the hard things to stay away from. It's like they rule my life. I also don't fill full on such little, simple food.

So what...will they get in there and see that my liver sucks and close me up?

The carb monster is fighting you! Stick with the low carb a few days and you will be surprised at how much better it gets. Also, you need to cut out carbs to be successful after surgery.

I know exactly how you feel, I am on day 2 of my diet and I have cheated both days with Lean Cuisine meals for dinner. I started my 2 week (yes 14 day) pre surgery liquid diet on Monday January 3rd and my surgery date in January 17. My diet is 3-4 Protein Shakes a day, plain eggs, low fat cheese and sugarfree liquids only. I would be super happy to have your pre-surgery diet for the next 14 days. I am going to try my best each day to stick to the diet guideline. I am going to hope and pray that my surgeon will be happy with my liver when he opens me up and be complication free once he is done with the procedure. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as we both try to make it through this difficult time.

Jen

I started my two week liquid diet last Tuesday and the ONLY thing my Doctor said I could have was 3 Protein Shakes a day, Water, tea, and cystal light. It has been REALLY hard but I'm trying. Did have to have 3 trisket the other day because I was nauseated.

Not really all that strict at all....fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, lean meat, Protein shakes and unlimited radishes, cucumbers, celery, pickles, SF pop cycles, and caffeine free drinks.

The carbs are the hard things to stay away from. It's like they rule my life. I also don't fill full on such little, simple food.

Actually, I have a relative that went in to have lapband surgery and did NOT follow the pre-op diet and they DID close her back up. You can imagine her surprise when she woke up. Her DR was extremely pissed that she did not follow the diet and told her she would have to wait a few more months and exhibit weight loss so that he would know for sure her liver had shrunk. He said it makes the surgery much harder to maneuver around in there, not to mention dangerous for the patient when the liver is so large. She did follow the rules the next time and had a successful surgery.smile.gif

So, yeah, a competent surgeon will close you back up if your liver is still large.

My understanding is that an enlarged fatty liver is softer and more likely to tear when they pull it back out of the way, upping your risk for bleeding, complications, pain and slower recovery.

If your liver is too slippery from the fat, yes, they will close you back up. If you had "fatty liver disease", you wouldn't be cleared for surgery, and the pre-op diet is only there to shrink the outer layer of fat that makes the liver slippery.

They have to move it out of the way to get to the stomach. It's held back with a single trochar usually, and if it's slippery/slimy from the fat, your risks of a liver slit, or perforated liver increases significantly.

The carb monster is fighting you, and your body is thinking "what the hell". It's going to start burning the fat stores in your body, and it does get easier especially after surgery. By about day 3-5, I didn't even miss carbs anymore, and to my surprise, I was able to stay satisfied with meat and salad which is what I tanked up on. I ate huge spinach salads before my band surgery, for my sleeve revision, I couldn't really eat salad with my band, so I had to stick to meat and cheese.

It's tough, but it's totally doable, and this will help post-op especially once you go liquids for 2-3 weeks post-op.

The thing is - you will have a ton of restrictions for the weeks following the surgery. If you cannot follow it now, why would you be able to follow them afterward? That's what my surgeon gave me as one reason (and the liver etc. is the other one). I found it perfectly understandable.

If I am not able to follow a few rules (and your pre op diet does look much better than most) before surgery I am very likely to wreck my staples.

I don't like the comparison at all to be honest, I can tell you for sure that being able to follow a 2 week diet before surgery is worlds apart from using the sleeve as a tool. Think of it - we were all in the same boat, non of use were reasonable or sane eaters - and from what I see, we pretty much all love the little sleeve we have.

You'll get through it, and once you are done (and reasonably recovered), getting through it will be easier than before...

The carb monster is fighting you! Stick with the low carb a few days and you will be surprised at how much better it gets. Also, you need to cut out carbs to be successful after surgery.

Thank you!!!

My doctor was aware of my fatty liver disease before surgery. I followed my presurgery diet completely as I knew this was my only hope for successfully losing weight. He did do a liver biospy because he did not like the look of my liver but I did get my sleeve. Yea me. But he did say with losing weight this will reverse for me also and I was doing the right thing. Good Luck and just take one day at a time with the diet. It will all be worth it in the end.