Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unethical bandsters?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. I am in the Army, one of the few institutions allowed to legally discriminate based on physical limitations. I understand why, though. It was definitely alot harder to lug all my crap around (30 pounds was the vest and armor alone) in Iraq being overweight. They believe it is all a matter of will power though, so no helping with weight issues. I am also concerned they could use this (the lap band) as a reason to kick me out, but thankfully they are so short of people right now, that if I don't tell them and make a big issue of it, they probably won't either. But I get weighed in every 6 months, no matter what. As for leaving the U.S., I would have paid more to do it here in the US, but the surgeon in my area would not even return my emails because my BMI was not high enough. Funny, he will now do my fills and see me, but would not have done the surgery. Oh well. My doctor did have more experience than the doctor here though, so it wasn't really a difficult decision. An with my BMI at 34, I don't feel it was vanity. And why should this surgery not be allowed by certain weight people? (Warning: tangent!) Cosmetic surgery is often for vanity, and carries many of the same risks as lap band, with the general anesthesia and infection, etc. No one tells them they are not ugly enough! Or that their boobs are already big enough! If you want it, and can pay for it, there are no "standards" saying you are too ugly, too pretty, too busty, etc. I mean some men get calf implants! Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I just think it is a decision the person and their qualified medical professional should make, not some arbitrary number.

My BMI was 35.2, sorry I said it was 39. I have heart disease and other stuff, my weight was 203, but I was approved. If I wasn't approved I was ready to fight.

Anyways, I had the surgery sept. 20th and am feeling great, lost 22 lbs so far. Best thing for me ever, I see my cardiologist in November and he will be proud of me.

Don't give up.

Well La madam,

There are more people in America who can't afford to have surgery done in Mexico or any other country as far as that goes..

:clap2: Great post! Excellent points. So many people cannot even afford to go to Mexco.

commenting on the original post...you can't cheat the system by putting sand in your clothes or drinking Water just before.....it all goes by BMI...they measure you along with the weight....they can tell if some dingbat put sand in their clothes...by the way--did someone actually do that...i'd laugh them right out of the office. interesting posting!!

Well, I guess I was fortunate I didn't have to put sand in my clothes. They did not, however, measure me. The formula for BMI is weight times 703 divided by height in inches squared. Body measurements don't enter into it. I was self-pay as my insurance excludes all WLS. That sucks. I am an RN (as are many others here) and I recognize the many problems our health care system has. I know there are problems with nationalized health care programs in Canada and the UK but we have been trying to do things here in the old US of A for a long time now and it just seems that if we were to put our minds to it we would produce effective national health care. OK - I'll quit typing and run for my bomb shelter now. Katt