Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW BAD DOES IT REALLY HURT after surgery?

Hi Kimmes,

I dry-heaved a LOT right after surgery as a reaction to the anesthesia, and while it was scary, my surgeon (who is *very* experienced) did not seem very concerned about it. Basically, it scared me a lot more than it scared him. I was promptly put on an anti-nausea med, and I have had no nausea since then. I hope that eases your mind a bit....

THANK YOU

Pain threshold is an individual thing, as is response to pain meds, but at least for me there was very little pain. More discomfort, and the skin sutures were a little sore at some point - but all in all, it was negilible. Fear of pain is no reason not to have this surgery (and I'm the world's biggest wuss when it comes to pain!)

Thanks for asking this question... I am exactly one week after you.. next Thursday. I can hardly believe how fast time has gone by. I am too am nervous about possible pain. I think its the possible nausea and throwing up that makes me most scared. I am so afraid I will throw up and burst my staples! blink.gif

I know I am in Gods hands and I have faith that he will see me through!

Kim

Kim,

The nurses are quick to ask how you feel and with the meds to prevent nausea. I was given a prescription for nausea and have not even used it. Sending prayers your way for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Rose

I remember reading the advice on this forum to start asking for pain relief as soon as you wake up and I did. I asked for it in recovery. A few hours later the nurse offered to alternate the pain meds and morphine. I said YES!! I had 2 c-sections and a hysterectomy so was expecting PAIN!!!! Within 12 hrs I said- no more to morphine and the pain was just as if I'd done 100 situps. You learn to roll to your side before sitting up. Two days after surgery I walked around Walmart with hubby and even cooked for him. On the 3rd day I remember the incisions itching some and I felt GOOD!! I bought gro on the 4th day and on 8th day drove myself 2 hrs to DR. appt. It isnt bad,just a soreness. Rest,sip and walk. repeat often. Try to get as much Protein as you can, it helps with healing. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the question. I am having my surgery tomorrow morning. I have heard some horror stories about pain. I had a hysterectomy 5 yrs ago & they fill you with gas during operation. the gas did suck. it was pretty painful. the biggest problem for me was that no one explained what the pain was. they kept giving me meds for intestinal gas. the next morning the dr explained why it was in my chest & shoulders. it only lasted a day. I keep hearing that the walking is the key. it helped with my other surgery as well.

My sleeve was done 12-9-10 in Mexicalli by Dr. Aceves. I was up walking after 2 hours out of recovery. They kept teasing me that I looked like a girl that never had surgery. I don't remember any pain, just slight discomfort getting up. I had it done on Thurs and out Sat afternoon. Keep praying for a safe surgery and quick recovery! Mine are with you!

I had 2 c sections and I felt WLS was harder than that. I think it was anesthesia and nausea and general grogginess. It scared me a lot bc it made me realize what I had actually done to remove a huge portion of a vital organ. I was in a state of panic inside, but kinda tried to hold it together.

Plus I had a backache after surgery that has lessened over time. I don't know if a nerve was damaged or what, but my mid back has given me grief here and there since surgery.

But honestly I'd say this felt like major surgery to me, whereas the c sections were just so good.

Not to scare you, everyone is different. But it makes me scared of the body lift which I have heard is painful, bc to me this was just not a good first week.

But heh, I made it through. You have to really deal emotionally beforehand with what you are doing, and I think that can be difficult. But I just took it day by day realizing what was done was done and I had to make the best of it. BC I don't think I fully understood what I was doing beforehand. I'm kinda like that though. I tend to have trouble understanding things until I experience them. You know, a full understanding.

I understood the sleeve, but didn't understand how drastic of a difference it would be. I didn't know they took 85 or 90 percent of stomach out. I kind of thought it was a 'trim'. So then I got scared. But now I'm almost a year out and I can tell you it is a good solution to a weight problem that cannot be solved elsewhere.

This is probably the first year of my life that my first new years resolution is not to LOSE WEIGHT.

Hey Kimmes,

I am excited for you! I had my surgery Dec 10th. The biggest pain was the one spot where they open the muscle. The sutures where they close the muscle back is probably your biggest pain but for me everything came in different stages. I was able to walk around the same day of surgery (post). It was hard to maneuver in bed but doable. You may feel pain immediately after but they will have pain meds. for you. Once I was home I was able to avoid pain med until evening. No nausea or vomiting. Thankfully. I did throw up twice in hospital but both times it was right after a nap. No nausea but it was miserable considering you dont have much to throw up and you have had stomach surgery. They gave me nausea and pain meds immediately. Both work pretty immediately. I was able to go back to work after 11 days.

Everyone is different but I think you will be fine. God will indeed keep you and will not bring you to anything you can not bare!

Best of luck!

T

Thanks for asking this question... I am exactly one week after you.. next Thursday. I can hardly believe how fast time has gone by. I am too am nervous about possible pain. I think its the possible nausea and throwing up that makes me most scared. I am so afraid I will throw up and burst my staples! blink.gif

I know I am in Gods hands and I have faith that he will see me through!

Kim

I remember reading the advice on this forum to start asking for pain relief as soon as you wake up and I did. I asked for it in recovery. A few hours later the nurse offered to alternate the pain meds and morphine. I said YES!! I had 2 c-sections and a hysterectomy so was expecting PAIN!!!! Within 12 hrs I said- no more to morphine and the pain was just as if I'd done 100 situps. You learn to roll to your side before sitting up. Two days after surgery I walked around Walmart with hubby and even cooked for him. On the 3rd day I remember the incisions itching some and I felt GOOD!! I bought gro on the 4th day and on 8th day drove myself 2 hrs to DR. appt. It isnt bad,just a soreness. Rest,sip and walk. repeat often. Try to get as much Protein as you can, it helps with healing. Good Luck!!

Good tips, Thanks'

VSG surgery was pretty much a non issue for me. After waking up from surgery, I was out walking the halls and taking ice chips. Think the worst of it was the gas ;p So if you can survive through a huge case of gas, you've got it whupped ;P Word of caution though.......Before discharge from the hospital. I felt great! Thought I'd better take a pain pill just incase the hour ride home made me sore. Oh Boy! I felt great and we went shopping. Kiddo had an extra good christmas. I bought toys I didn't even remember buying! Lortab makes me a shopaholic! ;P LOL But seriously, laparoscopic surgery isn't bad at all. Best wishes :)

I haven't used any pin medication since I got home either. I even requested they stop putting it in my IV. With the exception of slight tug when I switch sides too quickly, I am pain free.

I've not had kids, but I can't imagine it being as bad (esp kids without drugs). I found the plication painful, but the painkillers dealt with the pain pretty well. It definitely is way less painful than when I had a pin inserted in my tibia! wink.gif

I have been trying to read and research everything I can before my surgery this thursday morning. I have been looking at people talk about there journey on you tube. So I just wondering how bad does it really hurt? I have had four children.( 2 with no drugs) Is it worse than child birth????????

Good Lord NOOOOOO ! This surgery (for me anyhow) was nothing compared to c/sections (I've had 2) nor as bad as my hysterectomy, bilateral breast reduction, tonsilectomy, shunt placement and revision, angiograms, etc (18 major surgeries) I was up and walking well by 6 hours after surgery without difficulities. . . I would say the one thing that bothered me was the drain. . . that was a pain in the gluteous maxamus. . . I am highly allergic to narcotics so the only pain med i can take is tylenol and that did the job just fine for me. . . but we all are different and handle pain differently, if you have a high pain threshold you'll do well if not well i guess you'll hurt. . . good luck

I didn't have much, if any, pain after surgery. Of course, I was pretty doped up the whole evening following my procedure. The morning after, when they removed my catheter and the pain pump, I felt a stinging little "tugging" sensation at the center incision, but that's it. I don't recall asking for pain meds after that. Nausea meds, yes. Pain meds, not so much.

I also didn't take any pain medication after I got home...at least, not until three months later when I burned my hand and thought I would die. But that's another story entirely.

I've never had children, so I can't make any comparisons there...but I remember being amazed that I had so little pain. I still am.

I know this is different for everyone, but the only pain I had was that the drain made my left shoulder hurt. When they took out the drain I was fine. My surgery was laporoscopic, so there was no stomach pain. I was nauseous on day 2 for 10 minutes and never had that happen again. I vomited once from eating too much in my 2nd week out but never after that one time.

Actually I was like, "that was a piece of cake" about the surgery. Definitely no pain problem except for the drain, which was only for 1 1/2 days and I had a pain pump, but it was more just annoying than serious pain.

The gas was the worst part for me.. After it passed and my drain tube was taken out at a week post op I felt WONDERFUL!! No pain I even went off my pain meds at 3 days post op "gas went away" Everyone is different so although some may say they had no pain others may say it hurt really bad. Your body is your body how high is your pain tolerence? I to had a kids natural and it was nothing like that pain..