Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official Ongoing Gastric Sleeve Maintenance Thread

Maintenance is so tricky

It sure is for me. I am at about 129 lbs now which I can live with. To stay there I see a nut, go to Overeaters Anonymous and eat no sweets. The weight is gone but the obsession is not.

I tried the 5:2 and it just didn't work for me. I would binge on my food days. I know that's not what I was supposed to do, but somehow it set off my food obsession even more. It's too bad because I think intermittent fasting is healthy, but I can see that nothing is one-size fits all.

Man, I need to get my head on straight. I weighed 152 this morning...yikes! Yes, still under my goal of 158#. My clothes still fit. But, I liked 140ish ALOT better. I have no excuse. Life is good, I am happy, I am content in many ways... perhaps THAT is the problem. Life is good, living is easy... just another reason to get complacent, right?

You don't have to follow 5:2 completely. There was a thread in here about an alternative. I believe it was only eat between certain hours. I think it was 8 hours. After a certain time, like 7pm (or whatever time you choose) it's the cut off point. Then you can fast for 12 hours.

It's the grazing that's bad for me. That's why 5:2 worked so well for me. It stopped my night time snacking. To stay at goal, I have to be very regimented - 3 meals and one evening snack.< /p>

Thanks so much feedyoureye!

Can you share more about your experience on 5:2. It sounds like it is a permanent way of eating and not just a diet? I feel like every month I am craving carbs and making poor choices with little to no control or restriction and I've learned how to eat around my sleeve and I'm worried.

Additionally, I feel like my body fat composition is changing significantly more than my mere 5-7 lb weight gain, so it is depressing me. I used to be a size 4 and now and a solid barely size 6. Overall, I'm still happy with that but do feel "heavy" like I used to before WLS. I just feel like I can "get away with it" and therefore I CAN make the poor choices that I'm making.

Basically, I need a reality check and need to get my eating back in order so I'm thinking I need to do the Pouch/sleeve test and then do the 5:2.

Can you share your experience with 5:2? what do you eat on your 5 days and what do you eat on your 2 days? Do you have a good official website? anything sleeve related to know about doing the 5:2?

Thank in advance for sharing!

Lisa

Glad you found the 5:2 thread... do watch the documentary... it tells a lot. What some of us did during the 5:2 was keep our regular Spartan diet during the "feast days" I stayed at 1200-1400 cals most days, and 500-600 on fast days when I was rocking it to re-lose the final 22 and get to goal. When I just eat anything I want to on fast days, (like right now) the results are not as dramatic... I fell off my routine when my mom died a few months ago, then when I got back on, I had gained 6 pounds... now I to am getting back on the wagon. I truly believe that without the 5:2, I would now be much higher above my goal than I am. I'm sure its not for everyone, but some part of it may be good for you too.

Just read this whole thread.

Wow! What an eye-opener.

I'm almost 6 weeks at / below my goal.

Obviously, there's a lot to learn about maintenance.

One thing for sure -- whatever it is now, it will be different in the future.

Great thread. Thanks to all who've contributed long-term to it. Really, thanks!

I chew alot of sugarless gum to keep me occupied. I also find if i drink hot tea or coffee that seems to ease the hunger.

Just read this whole thread.

Wow! What an eye-opener.

I'm almost 6 weeks at / below my goal.

Obviously, there's a lot to learn about maintenance.

One thing for sure -- whatever it is now, it will be different in the future.

Great thread. Thanks to all who've contributed long-term to it. Really, thanks!

I'm glad to hear that. That's the reason I am still here after 9 years. I know that I was one of the first people sleeved here because I was a member of Lap band talk before sleeve talk was ever started. I couldn't wait for more people to become sleeved. I can't believe it's been 6 years since my band was removed.

Maintenance is still very tricky and a slippery slope if you don't want to gain weight back. i am really struggling now that I can't exercise because of back problems. :(

After a great weekend. I let myself indulge. I do not do this often. I am back at my goal weight. I reset my goal to a better weight gain bounce. Its always a reminder for me that I am not exempt from weight gains. I'm doing what I need to do. I'm looking forward to challenging myself to a new goal.

I have a real issue with this. I'm 5'6 and 122 pounds. I still feel food on,y when I lose and want to lose another 7 pounds to be at 115 even though everyone says stop. It's a mental battle from years if wanting to lose and not being able to. When will it be enough?? I don't know. I'm fixated on numbers and fear of gaining. Maybe at 115 I'll finally feel done.

VSGAnn2014- thank you for posting. I'm 17 months post surgery and currently struggling with this issue as my medical team (PCP, surgeon and dietician) has decided that I have developed an eating disorder. This article was very insightful. Thanks again