Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do I feel so hungry?

:think Hello I just had surgery on June 7th and boy I'm hungry anyone out there know the reason why? I'm going to get a fill on June 26th but for now it's just like being on a diet!!!!!! I have to watch of course everything I put in my mouth which is mostly through a straw consistency. Like cream of chicken without the chicken.

I totally understand!!! I wasn't hungry until about day 4 or 5 when I stopped taking the liquid Vicodin. It was smelling my husbands dinner that was my undoing. My mouth started watering and it's like my body said, "Hey! Real food - haven't had that in awhile!"

Have you tried Protein shakes? I found when I pumped up the Protein it made a big difference in my ability to withstand cravings and "head hunger"

I'm not sure what aftercare diet you are on, but you could ask your dr if cottage cheese would be ok. I found that it really satisfied my desire to chew something and have some substance to my meals.

Also, Tomato Soup and bean with bacon Soup and split pea soup - all Campbells brand, thinned out a bit, they all really fill me up pretty good.

Just some ideas. Of course take into consideration what your dr wants you to do. But don't be afraid to call ur doctor if you are struggling. That's why they're there! :) I was to the point of almost passing out because I was so weak and adding just a little bit more protein made all the difference!

I am hungry too, i was banded on the 5th. Mashed potatoes and milk with protien powder seem to help me the most. i did have a lean cuisine yesterday, a mushy one lol. It didn't seem to help anymore than the Soup though.

I have been hungry from day one. I must not have any swelling. However, my doctor wants liquids 1 wk, thicker liquids 2nd wk, mushies 3rd week, and 4th wk real food. I can drink 3 Protein drinks a day. I had a WW strawberry and banana smoothie last night and that did fill me up. I also made some potato Soup with leeks and carrots and then blended it and strained it. It was very satisfying.

Hang in there.

I was snarving (not starving, SNARVING LOL) the second my eyes opened after surgery. Your hungry because you need food and its totally normal. Hang in there. At this stage, you should not worry about WL, you should concentrate on healing, so if your hungry EAT!!! just be careful and follow doctors orders.

HUGS !!!!

Hi, I'm new to this website. My surgery was the end of April, almost 4 months now and I'm starving and my hands shake 1 1/2 hrs after I eat, 3 hours later tops. I've had 4 fills and was checked last week for a leak in the band. No leak, no hypoglycemia, no diabetes. Is this the way it's going to be for me? Do I have to just suck up and feel awful all the time? I've only lost 29 lbs sine April.

Carol, you're hungry because the band around your stomach does not yet restrict the flow of food from the little pouch at the top to the stomach below yet. As you work toward restriction with adjustments, you will have incremental improvement until you reach your sweet spot. Until then--yes, it is like dieting. But it will be the LAST time you are hungry in the name of weight loss!

Wildabeast, can you post a typical day's worth of eating for us? Even if you've tested negative for hypoglycemia, you can be experiencing reactive episodes, and tweaking your intake can make a huge difference. (Oh--and 29 pounds since April, before having restriction? That's a great loss!)

Peachpuffabilly--"fills" are adjustments of the band. The band is placed around the stomach to create a pouch. There is tubing to a port that is placed under the surface of the skin. For a period of months after the surgery (and periodically after that), your surgeon will access the port with a needle to inject saline into the tubing, which adjusts the pressure placed on the stomach by the band. This reduces the size of the stoma (hole) between the upper pouch and bottom portion of the stomach, slowing down the rate at which food leaves the pouch (and making you feel satisfied longer).

(I hope that made sense!0

Edited by BetsyB

7:30 1 egg, 3 turkey sausages( a little over 1/2 c

10:00 Unjury Protein Powder in 1/2 c soy milk

1:00 chicken Ceasar salad (little over 1/2 c

4:00 1/2 Tlbs Peanut Butter on low salt crackers(6)

7:30 roast chicken plus asparagus(little over 1/2 c)

Wildabeast, I can't see anything there, other than the saltines, that would cause reactive hypoglycemia.

Does your doctor offer any possible explanation? Has s/he suggested you journal your intake on a site such as fitday.com so that you can better assess how you're meeting your nutrient needs? Sometimes, it's helpful to see how many grams of Protein, etc., you're getting, because it can help you tweak things a bit.

My doctor recommends 65 grams of protein/day. I have to tell you, I'd be a shaky mess if I stuck to that level--I aim for 100, and then I'm fine (even though I eat very low carb).

That's my next question, (and by the way thank you so much for your comments), how can you get 30+gms of Protein in 1/2 a cup. I am realizing I need much more that 60 a day but can't figure(don't know things to eat to give me the gms of protein I need. I take in 3 days of my eating plan each time I go for a fill. That's how the dr./nurse know I need another fill. I was hoping the last one(total so far is 7.4, ) would be enough, but as long as I eat small amounts at a time and eat very slow, I can still eat anything I want.

I too am hungry. Every 2-3 hours and I am already on my second fill! I have approx 6.5 cc's and I really have difficulty during the day. I eat mostly Protein and I don't have any problems with food at this point ( maybe Peanut Butter ). I drink Protein Shakes with soy milk - I keep my calories at approx 1000 a day, which is what the doctor said I should be able to eat, but I get so hungry that I am obsessing about food. I don't want to do that - Any advice?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches