Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone w/the Sleeve have Hypothyroidism???

I developed hypothyroidism 7 yrs ago & it's been really a let down...I've tried & tried & tried to lose weight & keep it off which usually didn't have a problem w/my weight loosing & keeping it off but now...it's nearly impossible. I'm considering the sleeve but dunno if it will work for me as I've received mixed info from 3 different doctors, 2 saying the same thing that yes I probably will lose abt 70% of the weight but will plateau & might lose the rest but not likely due to the hypothyroidism which I realize ANY weight loss is a great thing & I'd be only abt 15 lbs over my correct weight. The third doctor's staff say that they've performed this procedure on hypothyroid patients & those individuals have had no problems w/losing all their weight so I'm at a loss as to what I should do...I would really appreciate anyone who has hypothyroidism who've had the sleeve & what your long term results have been & if you've had any different (thyroid related) reactions like losing the weight a lot more slowly than expected or having not lost any weight at all or not as much as you'd have hoped or have lost almost all then plateaued or outcomes on anything different than any known non-thyroid patients. I don't want to get the procedure then get disappointed. Thanks!!!

I am extremely hypothyroid which started with a goiter at 12 years old. I'm 47 now. I was a slightly chubby but fit child, a slim fit teen, and started gaining weight crazily in my late 20's. It came to a point I could not lose weight, no willpower. I maintained pretty well, but every couple years I would add a few lbs. Just never really lost weight, only a slow slow gain. I am short and weighed 220 when I went to get WLS. As a teen I was 102 lbs for a few years, then 115, then 125...you know how it goes for many women. No longer fit, no longer real high energy. My life is sort of in peaks and valleys. I'm definitely in a valley right now wishing I had more energy. Some people talk about more energy after losing the weight, but for me I have more stamina but still feel a bit tired.

I chose this surgery bc I knew the only way I would lose weight was to live with caloric restriction. Bc my metabolism is just low. And I couldn't live on caloric resriction without some help with the sleeve. It is working.

Sometimes I think I could manage better with a slightly bigger sleeve, bc it does feel like overkill in some ways. But it is what it is, and my thyroid doesn't seem to have been helped or hurt by this surgery. My blood work has always been fine, it just isn't an issue.

ONe thing I did a few years ago was switch to Armour thyroid which is natural. I don't do well on the synthetic hormones.

I have hypothyroidism and have met goal. The one thing we have learned is that I need less of my thyroid medicine - I am assuming because my body is smaller??? Make sure your doctor keeps a close check on your thyroid during weightloss. My medicine has been adjusted 3 times since surgery.

Good luck!

I have hypothroidism (Hashimoto's) and am scheduled to have the Sleeve surgery on Jan 6th with Dr Aceves. He and Dr Campos have both reviewed my medical history because I have other co-morbidities but neither of them ever mentioned that it would be a problem. I can let you know how the weight loss goes for me after I have it done, if you like.

Priscilla

I have hypothroidism (Hashimoto's) and am scheduled to have the Sleeve surgery on Jan 6th with Dr Aceves. He and Dr Campos have both reviewed my medical history because I have other co-morbidities but neither of them ever mentioned that it would be a problem. I can let you know how the weight loss goes for me after I have it done, if you like.

Priscilla

Yes definitly let me know how it goes for you. I'd love a step by step as you progress how it goes. I'm really on the fence, still not deciding as I agree w/one of the other posters that it seems to be a bit 'overkill' on the amt of stomach that's removed. I think that I'd like a bit more left like they used to do (from what I read). But thank you for replying & yes, plz let me know how it goes! Thanks!!!

--SK.

Thank you all who replied, it does help knowing I'm not alone in this! Pumpkin...I agree w/you in that it does seem to be a bit overkill in the amt of stomach that's removed. I wonder if I ask the dr to leave just a bit more in if he'd do it??? Hmmmm....

--SK.

I have hypothyroidism and have met goal. The one thing we have learned is that I need less of my thyroid medicine - I am assuming because my body is smaller??? Make sure your doctor keeps a close check on your thyroid during weightloss. My medicine has been adjusted 3 times since surgery.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying! I'm supposed to weigh abt 137-140 technically. My goal is at least 155 so it's great to see someone who lost abt the same amt as I'm supposed to lose. Thanks for your info & support, I didn't think of having to make sure my dr keeps a close monitoring, I'll definitly make sure!! I appreciate it!

--SK.

Just like MIni Me, I've had my thyroid meds reduced and am losing weight at a great pace. i noticed that my metabolism had slowed after the surgery but have addressed that with regular cardio exercise.

I had my thyroid completely removed 7 years ago because I had thyroid cancer, so I am functioning totally on thyroid meds to keep my body going. I have been on a higher dose of meds for years to keep the cancer from coming back but still couldn't lose weight even though I was technically hyperthyroid. The sleeve has done the trick for me.

I too, have had my thyroid completely removed due to the fact that it was huge and riddled with nodules. I was already extremely hypothyroid, so I saw no need to continue to get painful needle biopsies to wait and see if I would develop cancer. I am on total replacement, and I also finally convinced a doctor to switch me to Armour thyroid so I could finally get my life back. Today I am 4 weeks out and have lost 29 lbs. so far. I was afraid because of thyroid issues that I would not lose the weight, but so far so good.

Thank you all who replied, it does help knowing I'm not alone in this! pumpkin...I agree w/you in that it does seem to be a bit overkill in the amt of stomach that's removed. I wonder if I ask the dr to leave just a bit more in if he'd do it??? Hmmmm....

--SK.

I need to get my thyroid checked. I know my mom was on meds for it.

About the belly size, Lets say you go with the RNY or the Lap Band your new pouch is only going to be the size of an egg. Different doctors use different bougie sizes, so you can ask your surgeon what size is used. My opinion is that they remove that amount for a reason, you want that Gherlin--sp? removed to reduce hunger pains, they are also removing the "stretchy" part of the stomach--so if its done too wide it would be like you never had the surgery.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in June of this year and I was sleeved in December. I'm hoping I won't have to be on the medication for life but it happens to run in the family.

I need to get my thyroid checked. I know my mom was on meds for it.

About the belly size, Lets say you go with the RNY or the Lap Band your new pouch is only going to be the size of an egg. Different doctors use different bougie sizes, so you can ask your surgeon what size is used. My opinion is that they remove that amount for a reason, you want that Gherlin--sp? removed to reduce hunger pains, they are also removing the "stretchy" part of the stomach--so if its done too wide it would be like you never had the surgery.

Yeah I understand abt that, I'm just worried abt malnutrition. I haven't eaten a whole lot for a long time so eating 'less' won't probably be that much of a change for me in that respect, I'm just afraid I won't get the right amt of food. For instance, a good meal for me wud be: a chicken leg/thigh either baked, broiled or boiled; a green salad w/broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, carrots, etc; a serving spoon size amt of fresh fruit & maybe a veggie like corn, peas, Beans, etc. Sometimes I'd include a small amt of rice but not always as it fills me up too quick & I had been eating my salad last so by the time I ate my fruit, chicken & veggie, I'm getting pretty full. That to me is a well balanced meal, a little bit of everything. Once I have the sleeve, I won't be able to get all of what I think is a balanced meal. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Yeah I understand abt that, I'm just worried abt malnutrition. I haven't eaten a whole lot for a long time so eating 'less' won't probably be that much of a change for me in that respect, I'm just afraid I won't get the right amt of food. For instance, a good meal for me wud be: a chicken leg/thigh either baked, broiled or boiled; a green salad w/broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, carrots, etc; a serving spoon size amt of fresh fruit & maybe a veggie like corn, peas, Beans, etc. Sometimes I'd include a small amt of rice but not always as it fills me up too quick & I had been eating my salad last so by the time I ate my fruit, chicken & veggie, I'm getting pretty full. That to me is a well balanced meal, a little bit of everything. Once I have the sleeve, I won't be able to get all of what I think is a balanced meal. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

I think with a sleeve I will need to think about a "well balanced day" or even a "well balanced week." I, too, have been concerned about missing essential Vitamins and minerals but after some research it appears that the human body can sustain itself quite nicely on a lot fewer calories than I thought. For example, I have a short (5'0") friend who went to a fitness bootcamp and gained weight while she was there. It turns out the daily calories of the meals provided totaled 1200 and she had been quite happily subsisting on 900-1000 in her real life.

I am planning on following my Dr.'s orders and eating Protein first, veggies 2nd, fruit 3rd, and starchy carbs last. I have eaten a lifetime's worth of well-balanced meals and that's why I weigh so much. If I am eating real food and taking a multi-Vitamin I think I will be fine and get all my nutrients in over the course of a week.

I also have hypothyroidism and yes, I have the metabolism of a lizard in winter but I can lose weight, I've lost a couple hundred pounds over the past 30 years. I just can't keep it off and hypothyroidism has nothing to do with that.

I developed hypothyroidism 7 yrs ago & it's been really a let down...I've tried & tried & tried to lose weight & keep it off which usually didn't have a problem w/my weight loosing & keeping it off but now...it's nearly impossible. I'm considering the sleeve but dunno if it will work for me as I've received mixed info from 3 different doctors, 2 saying the same thing that yes I probably will lose abt 70% of the weight but will plateau & might lose the rest but not likely due to the hypothyroidism which I realize ANY weight loss is a great thing & I'd be only abt 15 lbs over my correct weight. The third doctor's staff say that they've performed this procedure on hypothyroid patients & those individuals have had no problems w/losing all their weight so I'm at a loss as to what I should do...I would really appreciate anyone who has hypothyroidism who've had the sleeve & what your long term results have been & if you've had any different (thyroid related) reactions like losing the weight a lot more slowly than expected or having not lost any weight at all or not as much as you'd have hoped or have lost almost all then plateaued or outcomes on anything different than any known non-thyroid patients. I don't want to get the procedure then get disappointed. Thanks!!!

I am hypothyroid and take Synthroid. I seem to be losing the same as other people. As long as you take your thyroid meds you should be fine.