Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so embarrassed- not exercising

I had surgery 10/19/2010 and I have lost 32 (+/-2) pounds and I've exercised maybe 3 times since surgery. I can not get it together. I don't know what it will take to jump start me. I'm always on my mother because she is not exercising. Ok, sunday morning I got on the eliptical for 5 minutes, I was dead tired, but I had to do it. I have Leslie Sansome walk away the pounds and I will not play it. I am a true couch potato and I am stressed out with my job, relationship, and finance. I know exercising will help the stress, but I just will not put forth the effort. 5 years ago, I lost 40 pounds with diet and exercising, I do not know what happened to that will power. Is anybody else having a problem initiating or maintaining an exercise regemin?

I right with you on that one. I walk and very little of that and that's about all I do!!! I know I need to tone up especially at my age, but I just don't want to. I too have Leslie Sansome's Walk away the Pounds and have access to WII Fit, but I am just not motivated to EVEN try them. My excuse is let me lose 10 or 15 more pounds and I will do more. I have lost over 115 pounds to date and ..... still no exercising.

I want to be a exercise junkie, but wanting and doing are two separate things.

Any suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated by anyone!!!

Deb

Hey guys!!! I am a former exercise junkie, and here's what I am doing to get my mojo back....

So, years ago, I lost about 160 lbs through diet and exercise, but prior to that I had gotten really stuck in a rut, and I wouldn't exercise even the most minimal amount. So, I started of slllloooowly. I literally took a single 15 minute walk every day, and I added 5 minutes per week. And if you find that's too much for you, just keep it at 15 minutes until you WANT to raise it up. This works, and I totally swear by it. Eventually, I was going to spinning classes and lifting weights, etc. I got a really good routine going.

Unfortunately, I had kind of a terrible crunch in my life a few years ago (break-up, job stuff, etc), and I fell off the wagon, but I am doing this program AGAIN along with the sleeve, and it's working. The trick is not to overdo it, and really build up a habit in SMALL increments. All you want to do to start is get into the habit. And honestly, if you never do more than 15 mins of walking a day, that was 15 more than you were doing, right?!!! Anyway, if you ladies want to try this and touch base with me, I'd love some buddies. I'm a week out, and I've been taking my walk every day and it feels great to just get started..... Lemme know!!!

Same here, I just don't do it. I am hoping for Cmas I will get either a wii fit or zumba. I don't like going out to work out places, I just feel extremely uncomfortable there. My current exercise since surgery has been going to the mall and walking. I don't do it everyday but I figure it is more than I had done in the past.

Same here, I just don't do it. I am hoping for Cmas I will get either a wii fit or zumba. I don't like going out to work out places, I just feel extremely uncomfortable there. My current exercise since surgery has been going to the mall and walking. I don't do it everyday but I figure it is more than I had done in the past.

I think that's an awesome attitude! Honestly, I think if we didn't have "Biggest Loser" workouts in our heads, we'd all be better off :-))

I started with my wii fit, and I would do it for like three days , and then that was it. I found the best thing for me is to go to the gym right after work, and I'm fine. But if I go home and say I'm going to do the wii or walk, or anything, forget it. But if i change into my clothes at work, and go strait to the gym, I'm ok and feel so much better. I found women's only gym and the classes normally have like 4 to 5 people in the class so I don't feel so bad, and when I'm in the class I do what I can do and I do not over do things at all. I took a kick boxing class last night, and loved it. I'm started zumba in January. Good luck, though, and know you are not alone.

Interesting... up until Oct, when I was really ill, I started to LOVE exercise again... I was going to Zumba, going to the gym, using free weight and the wii fit at home, doing aerobic dvds and walking the dog regularly... now, well like the above posts, I have simply lost my mojo!!!

I am loving Lila's words... of building it up slowly! This is what I did when I was first sleeved in July... so I think that is excellent advise and sorta pans out to what I have started this week... I have taken the dog for an evening walk twice so far (and in the freezing snow!) and I have started to do some light free weights, whilst watching tv at home... little chestnuts make big oak trees...

Good luck everyone! xx

Interesting... up until Oct, when I was really ill, I started to LOVE exercise again... I was going to Zumba, going to the gym, using free weight and the wii fit at home, doing aerobic dvds and walking the dog regularly... now, well like the above posts, I have simply lost my mojo!!!

I am loving Lila's words... of building it up slowly! This is what I did when I was first sleeved in July... so I think that is excellent advise and sorta pans out to what I have started this week... I have taken the dog for an evening walk twice so far (and in the freezing snow!) and I have started to do some light free weights, whilst watching tv at home... little chestnuts make big oak trees...

Good luck everyone! xx

Coops, that is awesome!!! If you need to touch base or nudge me for some cheering on, feel free to send me a message :-) We can do it! I always think of the adage, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"!

No worries Lila... I could do with that... someone to say 'Oi Cooper, have you done your exercise this week... what? No!! then shift your ass!!'

lol... I defo want my mojo back, cos not only does it help with shifting the pounds, it also makes me feel sooooo good!!

Do you have any exercise tips or advise?

XS 2011 ... you are only just 2mths post op! The only thing I did was walk in the beginning... I was advised by my surgoen not to do vigourous exercise until 10-12 weeks and then build up gradual. So, that is what I did, until recently that is!!

Back to building it up gradually then... =]

I think the keys to consistency in exercise is to build up gradually , NOT beat yourself up about whatever stage you are at, and do *something* no matter how small, EVERY day. Why do I believe this works? My nearly 70 year old Mom exercises EVERY SINGLE DAY and this is her philosophy :-) and she's healthy as a horse!!!! (not intentionally comparing my mother to a horse, hee)....

Couple of tips that help me with exercise:

1) find a time that works for you - I CAN'T stick to a morning program, for example, it's gotta be in the evening.

2) Sign up for a class - bootcamp is great. I've also signed up for a couple of dance classes - that way I'm actually learning something practical. I've always wanted to try ballet, but my weight made it challenging - even though I wasn't the biggest person in my class when I first tried it at around 175, it was just too tough on my feet. Now it's much easier. I got inspired by a male classmate who started ballet at 19 and went on to have a professional career, which defies everything they ever tell you about professional ballet.

3) Find a buddy. My boyfriend wanted to try ballroom dancing with me. He has 2 left feet and is completely tone-deaf, so the laughs alone were a good enough reason to sign up.

4) Try a sport. I used to play for a community soccer league. Now my boyfriend and I play badminton sometimes. If I had an elliptical at home, I wouldn't be terribly motivated to exercise, either - it's just too boring.

5) If you live in a place with a harsh winter, get involved in some winter sports. It's my 2nd year cross-country skiing and I find it to be great exercise. Plus it makes me feel slightly less miserable about winter. We also go skating on occasion.

6) Set a goal. I loathe running, but in the past, I'd sign up for 5Ks and 10Ks to get myself to train. Having a race to train for should give you that extra push.

7) Find a gym that's close to your house. I've got a 1-month bootcamp pass and I just know that there's no point in using it until school ends, as the gym is about a 20-min drive from my house, and during the school year, I'll have all kinds of excuses (both legitimate and illegitimate!) not to go. If it's too much of a hassle to go work out, you just won't do it.

I like the idea of starting with the 15 minutes and slowly going up from there. I'd like to walk, do light weights at home (we have a small gym here that I don't use), and do pilates.

I am going to commit to start with the walking tomorrow. That shouldn't be too hard.

Couple of tips that help me with exercise:

1) find a time that works for you - I CAN'T stick to a morning program, for example, it's gotta be in the evening.

2) Sign up for a class - bootcamp is great. I've also signed up for a couple of dance classes - that way I'm actually learning something practical. I've always wanted to try ballet, but my weight made it challenging - even though I wasn't the biggest person in my class when I first tried it at around 175, it was just too tough on my feet. Now it's much easier. I got inspired by a male classmate who started ballet at 19 and went on to have a professional career, which defies everything they ever tell you about professional ballet.

3) Find a buddy. My boyfriend wanted to try ballroom dancing with me. He has 2 left feet and is completely tone-deaf, so the laughs alone were a good enough reason to sign up.

4) Try a sport. I used to play for a community soccer league. Now my boyfriend and I play badminton sometimes. If I had an elliptical at home, I wouldn't be terribly motivated to exercise, either - it's just too boring.

5) If you live in a place with a harsh winter, get involved in some winter sports. It's my 2nd year cross-country skiing and I find it to be great exercise. Plus it makes me feel slightly less miserable about winter. We also go skating on occasion.

6) Set a goal. I loathe running, but in the past, I'd sign up for 5Ks and 10Ks to get myself to train. Having a race to train for should give you that extra push.

7) Find a gym that's close to your house. I've got a 1-month bootcamp pass and I just know that there's no point in using it until school ends, as the gym is about a 20-min drive from my house, and during the school year, I'll have all kinds of excuses (both legitimate and illegitimate!) not to go. If it's too much of a hassle to go work out, you just won't do it.

I couldn`t agree more. I eat far too much bad food and the only reason I have lost weight is because of bootcamp type classes with a friend. After a while it become so much fun and now its my entertainment.

I joined the YMCA when I first had my lapband surgery. I really love working out there and continued to do so until my lapband broke and caused me major pain. I met so many nice people there and the teachers are all so great. I mainly go to the classes and I grew to love spinning class. I am not good at pusing myself, so working out at home just doesn't work. The teachers in the classes motivated me to keep going, without the harshness of a personal trainer. If I didn't feel up to it one day, I could take something calm like yoga or pilates. I really miss it and can't wait to get back as soon as I heal. The Wii Fit seemed fun at first, but I got pretty sick of it fast. We have all these wworkout games I tried and now they are just collecting dust. I hope you can find your grove! Good luck!!! : )

I haven't been exercising yet either unless you consider house cleaning exercise...think vacuum stairs, etc. =) I can work up a good sweat cleaning my house.LOL.

Anyway, I am thinking of swimming since I have plantar faciatis really bad and can barely walk by the end of the day on a NORMAL day (without exercise). I also might try the stationary bike since it will hopefully lessen the impact on the heal. I am hoping the MRI will figure something out. I am WAY too busy right now to get to the gym...sigh. After Christmas. =)