Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

permanently banned foods?

No according to my surgeon, some foods might be a bit more difficult to eat, but in time you'll be able to eat whatever you want!

I remember someone posted that you are not allowed to have pumpkin seeds, coconut, and one other thing (something equally obscure). Apparently, the cellulose can ball up inside your stomach and cause an obstruction.

Also told to stay away from coconut.

I was not told anything. Though my baratric coordinator told me that I would never enjoy a meal again but my NUT told me absolutely nothing. I wonder why there is such a difference between everyone's Dr's and NUT. You would think that they would be pretty much on the same page.

sorry I posted to the wrong place

I'm four mounth out and the only things that seem to always give me problems is rice and french fries. I get the foamies with them and vomit. Even just a little rice or a very very few fries.

Can anyone tell me more about the problem with coconut?

I was not told anything. Though my baratric coordinator told me that I would never enjoy a meal again but my NUT told me absolutely nothing. I wonder why there is such a difference between everyone's Dr's and NUT. You would think that they would be pretty much on the same page.

Really??!! Never enjoy a meal again. What a horribly negative and I believe totally false thing to say. There may be some people who's tastes change to find they enjoy different things, but to never enjoy a meal again?

Coconut along with other high cellulose veggies can cause bezoars. I still do not eat raw celery like I did pre-op. I'll have it in a salad, but it's just a few little chunks of diced celery. I have had a small slice of german chocolate cake with coconut icing, but it was a tiny amount. I'm not a huge fan of coconut or celery so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I do eat anything and everything. Nothing is off-limits, certain foods are just in moderation such as rice, Pasta, potatoes, but I eat all of those foods. I rarely eat fried foods, but I avoided them pre-VSG as well. I just don't feel great when I eat fried foods.

Here's a thread from a member on the forum that developed a bezoar after eating coconut.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/1550-obstructed-by-a-bezoar-has-anyone-else-heard-of-this/page__p__15098__hl__bezoar__fromsearch__1#entry15098

Ok hold it, I am just about 4 weeks out and this thing about never enjoying a meal again???? Bull! Crap!!!! I went to a holiday party and I enjoyed what I ate! Mind you it was in VERY small portions, but IT WAS GOOD! I had a tsp of refried Beans with guacamole , a piece of cheese of the lasagna, a piece of chicken of a chicken breast and 2 of the most heavenly scalloped potato slices ever!!!! No mind you it took me about a half hour to eat that POST VSG smorgasbord but it was the best! I enjoyed it and and was so full that I was not the least bit tempted by one single holiday goodie laying around!

Ps when I say piece of, I mean like not even a tsp of it.

My doctor said the same thing, but worded it differently. He just simply stated that I will never be able to eat the way I am used to. That I will never eat a meal the same way. Maybe the dr meant "You will never enjoy (aka eat) a whole meal again" (like a pre op sized meal).

Thanks for refreshing the thread! Interesting, I had never heard of a bezoar or whatever it's called till now. I hardley ever eat coconut but I couldn't imagine not eating it ever again.

I have never heard of the coconut before either.... I love it but I can certainly get by without it.

My doctor said that I won't have the desire to indulge in foods like I use to. He told me that I could gain the weight back and return to eating the way I did pre-op if I was determined to.