Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question about alcohol

The best bet is to ask your doctor.

I don't know why, but many people have issues with red wine & some doctors say to avoid red wines completely (maybe the tannins?)

Hopefully you will be allowed a small glass of white wine. But, ASK YOUR DOCTOR!

I will be 4 weeks post op on new years eve (which is also my birthday) I asked my doc the same questions and he said that in no way will it harm my sleeve at 4 weeks out. And if I want to drink Its up to me, he did remind me that its not recomended because it is empty calories, and when people drink they tend to not pay much attention to what they eat. But he told me that I was fine if i wanted to have a drink or two.

I think I know that answer to this question, here goes...

Come New Years Eve I'll be 5 weeks post-op. I'm doing really well, but man I want just a little alcohol to ring in the New Year. Is this too early? Do I risk a leak by doing so? I was just thinking a little red wine. Nothing with bubbles, of course.

Any thoughts/opinions?

I totally LOVE my alcoholic beverages! (ohhhh so precise :lol: ) No really, I continue to enjoy my rum and diet cokes every Friday and Saturday. Now with the holidays in full swing I even had 1/2 glass of eggnog with rum. . . ugh that filled me up so quickly I didn't even enjoy that. . . I'll stick to the good stuff!!!! Cheers all and a very Merry Christmas to all and the best of the New Year!

I will be 4 weeks post op on new years eve (which is also my birthday) I asked my doc the same questions and he said that in no way will it harm my sleeve at 4 weeks out. And if I want to drink Its up to me, he did remind me that its not recomended because it is empty calories, and when people drink they tend to not pay much attention to what they eat. But he told me that I was fine if i wanted to have a drink or two.

Thanks for the info! I was my surgeon's first sleeve (he's done a zillion bypass) and I feel like he's being overly cautious with me in relation to worrying about a leak. I asked about coffee at my last appointment (I miss coffee more than anything) and he told me to not even think about it until I'm 2 months post-op. He said the acid from the coffee could damage the staple line. Ugh. So the coffee countdown is on!

I was sleeved Dec 1st and I am waiting until Mardi Gras weekend in New Orlean to splurge on my first post op drink. We usually have tickets for one of the balls and It must be the drive thru daquiri for pineapple and amaretto and then a late night run to Taco Bell. And a least one or two visit for sushi. I hope to be at 175 or below by then.

:party4:

Wow, after reading this thread I'm starting to get nervous as I had my first drink about 2 weeks post-op (red wine then a margarita). I felt fine and still do feel fine. I had a few non-carbonated drinks yesterday as well. Hrm...

I'm not sure why non-carbonated alcohol would be bad for your sleeve other than the empty calories part of it. It's technically under my post-op diet restrictions although my doc didn't say anything about alcohol specifically.

I admit that I like to drink. In the last year I have cut my alcohol use down significantly from a cocktail or two per night to one-two per week instead. I also make smaller ones than I used to. After VSG why are we not supposed to drink alcohol? Is it just the extra [empty] calories or is there another reason? I have already cut down from 7 oz martinis to 3 oz ones. I have 1.5 oz martini glasses I can switch to in my bar if it is just the calories. I do enjoy drinking wine as well and have cut down from 3-5 bottles per week to just 1.

If there is another health issue other than the calories? It is no big deal to drop my consumption to almost nothing but really don't want to lose the booze completely (although I am willing to do that if necessary).

i cut down to having 2 glasses of anything....call it beer, wine or whisky.....at the beginning couldn't finish the whole glass....now i do but i can't eat anything.....when i do drink, i make sure to not skip my exercise routine......this has helped me maintain my weight.....very important to also drink lots of Water.

I wasn't able to be home for NYE so a friend and I celebrated early, I had this glorious concoction made by the bartender, all I know is it had ...Junipero gin, elderflower essence, and ... orange something? Anyway, it was a real mixologists cocktail and I was really happy with it. He served it in a standard martini glass and I drank ... about a quarter of an inch of it, not sure how much that is. I got a little flushed, felt a little relaxed, but since I had no choice but to be our driver (many hours) later, I couldn't indulge in the whole drink. I was worried at first that I would be hammered from that tiny bit and that it would take a really long time to sober up but if anything, I sobered up unusually fast. I felt the relaxing warmth about 5 minutes in, stopped drinking altogether 10 minutes later, and was stone cold sober within another 10 minutes. (The oysters rockefeller may have had something to do with it).

Starting at 3 mos out, I drank red and white wine, off and on, not all the time. Maybe it slowed my weight loss, but I have my sanity to consider, too. I'm happy with my weight loss so I can't say I feel any pressure to give it up. I do log the calories, though and try not to go over 1,200/day. I'm 6 mos out now.