Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question about alcohol

I admit that I like to drink. In the last year I have cut my alcohol use down significantly from a cocktail or two per night to one-two per week instead. I also make smaller ones than I used to. After VSG why are we not supposed to drink alcohol? Is it just the extra [empty] calories or is there another reason? I have already cut down from 7 oz martinis to 3 oz ones. I have 1.5 oz martini glasses I can switch to in my bar if it is just the calories. I do enjoy drinking wine as well and have cut down from 3-5 bottles per week to just 1.

If there is another health issue other than the calories? It is no big deal to drop my consumption to almost nothing but really don't want to lose the booze completely (although I am willing to do that if necessary).

Most doctors allow alcohol after a few months. I started having a drink occasionally after 2 1/2 months, the main thing is the empty calories, but I do enjoy a cocktail or 2 on the weekends now that I'm nearly 5 months out. I lost my taste for wine though which is sad in a way, but my surgereon says it usually returns at some point. Each surgeon has different guidelines so you're better off asking. I'm off to have a drink now that it's friday night :D

It is mainly the wasted calories that makes alcohol a discouraged beverage. But, everything in moderation. I was released for alcohol consumption 3.5 months post-op with a warning to avoid red wines.

I waited until after I was at goal to drink wine. I had one glass stretched out over an hour. It hit me hard, and fast then I sobered up fast. Now, my tolerance is back to what it was pre-op. I drink very, very socially, and tie one on monthly. I don't ever see a weight gain, nor do I get hangovers, but I am also in maintenance.

A lot of sleeve patients choose to partake in alcohol before reaching goal report stalling, or it slowing down their loss. If you figure it into your caloric intake, then just following it up with tons of clear fluids.

I can drink beer no problem but if I have a bar snack its all over.

In the beginning, your stomach is swollen and putting acid in a new sleeved stomach is not a good idea. After everything is healed, I don't see how it could hurt the stomach, but it will slow down weight loss.

At a recent support group, we had a doctor come visit to talk with us. The meeting includes all WLS patients. Two of us had VSG.

She grinned and asked us how much wine we drink now. Apparently, white wine is the drink of choice for VSG'ers in her experience. It takes a while to get used to, but doesn't cause the discomfort of beer bubbles, doesn't have the kick of shots, and less "wasted" calories than fru-fru drinks.

I have to admit, she got me on that one - I love my wine. (The other girl admitted to drinking wine as well - much more than pre-surgery.) Doesn't seem to be a problem for weightloss/stalls for me, but I do track those calories when I partake.

At a recent support group, we had a doctor come visit to talk with us. The meeting includes all WLS patients. Two of us had VSG.

She grinned and asked us how much wine we drink now. Apparently, white wine is the drink of choice for VSG'ers in her experience. It takes a while to get used to, but doesn't cause the discomfort of beer bubbles, doesn't have the kick of shots, and less "wasted" calories than fru-fru drinks.

I have to admit, she got me on that one - I love my wine. (The other girl admitted to drinking wine as well - much more than pre-surgery.) Doesn't seem to be a problem for weightloss/stalls for me, but I do track those calories when I partake.

I agree 100% with that doctor. I used to be a full-bodied, dry red wine girl all the way, and thought white wine drinkers were wimpy girls. I still can't bring myself to drink white zin LOL, but I tank the hell up on Rieslings and Moscatos. I have lost my taste for all red wines with the exception of red sangria. Now, that's a drink LOL.

165209_10150105882541418_744801417_7744739_2416551_n.jpg

I agree 100% with that doctor. I used to be a full-bodied, dry red wine girl all the way, and thought white wine drinkers were wimpy girls. I still can't bring myself to drink white zin LOL, but I tank the hell up on Rieslings and Moscatos. I have lost my taste for all red wines with the exception of red sangria. Now, that's a drink LOL.

165209_10150105882541418_744801417_7744739_2416551_n.jpg

I love the pic, enjoying life to the fullest! Funny I used to drink red wine can't now, but the other day made red wine sangria (lots of ice, oranges and sweetners) and I enjoyed a glass of that, still loads of calories now that I still have a good few pounds to lose!

I love the pic, enjoying life to the fullest! Funny I used to drink red wine can't now, but the other day made red wine sangria (lots of ice, oranges and sweetners) and I enjoyed a glass of that, still loads of calories now that I still have a good few pounds to lose!

Oh my birthday weekend was a tough one LOL. Started off Friday with Breakfast with my girlfriends, had a small chicken fried steak patty (about 3-4oz) with white gravy and ketchup, then had 6oz of beef Jerky throughout the afternoon, had french onion Soup (cup) and 1/4 of a chicken/provolone cheese panini, Friday night (from the above picture), we went to a steakhouse, had a few bits of that salad, that huge Sangria, and then had 5 cheddar/bacon covered french fries, 2 bites of my son's mac-n-cheese, more salad, more sangria, and then 1/2 of an 8oz sirloin steak cooked medium. I highly doubt it was 4 ounces after cooking, but it was half of the steak. I was really full, not uncomfortably stuffed, but full.

Then Saturday, I can't remember what I ate throughout the day, but that night we went to The Melting Pot(fondue place) for my dinner. I had some veggies (carrots and broccoli) with the cheese course, I'm guessing 1/3 of the house salad, 2 cups of hot tea (remember this is my way to fit in more food), then came the main course, I had duck a la orange, filet mignon, a couple bites of chicken, and then dessert, OMG it was yummy. It was a 2.5 dinner experience so I never got full, never got the hiccups, and did sip my tea throughout the night.

Now, onto the bar scene. I checked our bank account, and added up how much I had to drink. I ordered rum/cokes all night, and had 1 raspberry vodka shot. I had 8 rum/cokes over the course of 4 hours plus that one shot. YEP 8 rum/cokes, and 1 shot, I was drunk, admittedly, but not black out, pass out drunk, I was still trying to get "randy" with the mister on the way home LOL.

The scale didn't move, up or down. Not a single solid ounce. I had a twinge of a headache when I woke up at 6am after getting home at 1:30am, popped a couple ibuprofen and my prilosec, and went back to bed until 8ish. Woke up, started cleaning house, and feeling like I do every other morning. Had my coffee, made the mister Breakfast, and then we just lounged around all day.

How does that work? Curious...

Hot liquids and alcohol relax my sleeve. It worked with the band too, and I know some RNY'ers that use the same trick.

Cold liquids definitely restrict my volume.

I drink most everything at home at room temperature, and if I'm out I typically get easy or no ice.

I'm really into Pinot Grigio right now. There is a local winemaker, Hogue, that makes the best. If you can find it, I would definitely recommend it! Cheers! (When will it be 5:00? All this talk of wine is making me thirsty! B) )

I'm really into Pinot Grigio right now. There is a local winemaker, Hogue, that makes the best. If you can find it, I would definitely recommend it! Cheers! (When will it be 5:00? All this talk of wine is making me thirsty! B) )

LOL - are you sure it's not these pretzels? Because these pretzels are making me thirsty!

I think I know that answer to this question, here goes...

Come New Years Eve I'll be 5 weeks post-op. I'm doing really well, but man I want just a little alcohol to ring in the New Year. Is this too early? Do I risk a leak by doing so? I was just thinking a little red wine. Nothing with bubbles, of course.

Any thoughts/opinions?