Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair is seriously shedding!!!

I am 4 1/2 months out and my hair is falling out a lot! I have very fine and short hair, and I can tell it falls out in bunches when I wash it. I'm trying to wash it less frecuently, but I have to wash it at least 2-3 times a weeks after the gym! My 12 yr old daughter was combing my hair yesterday and was saying that I have a few nearly bald bits, behind my ears and at the front my forehead, (That one I had realised) I'm starting to panic, I take all my supplements, Vitamins, Iron, etc, the only thing is that my Proteins aren't as high as the should be (sometimes only around 40 gr a day) So I am going to work on my proteins from today, and I know a lot of you have said that it grows back, but it'sstill so scary. Any words of advice/encouragement will be very much appreciated! :(

I've heard some people are taking Biotin supplements and using Biotin Shampoo (I am, but I'm still shedding) -- in addition, I was watching a YouTube video where a VSGer was using a shampoo with coffee extract in it (she was in Germany) and said it really helped to stimulate the Hair growth -- I don't know if you can find that in the UK, but maybe . . . .

Hey Chilo,

Ain't this side of the sleeve pants...

I am sorry to say that mine is the same... and it is freaking me out too... I've had it cut shorter to try and hide how fine it is! I can see my scalp and my parting is getting wider and wider!

Not sure what we can do about it to be honest... I eat more than 40g of Protein a day and it is happening to me too... I really don't know what to suggest!

Chin up and when you are feeling a little low... just go and put a small pair of jeans on!!! xx

TRUTH be told. There nothing you can do to stop our hair from falling out. It is a natural course of things to happen.

Eating more Protein, shampooing your hair with special shampoos will make the hair you still have shining and pretty.... no doubt, but my nut and surgeon have both agreed everyone who has major surgery there is going to be hair shedding. Some more than others.

They did suggests limiting your use of hair care products like hair color or perms and stop blow drying.

I did a hair color last week and let me tell you. DO NOT DO IT!!!!! I let it dry naturally( NO blow drying ) As soon as I comb thru it large clumps of hair fell out. I literally screamed out loud. NO MORE HAIR COLOR FOR ME!!!!! Lesson learned. :(

My best advice is try not to worry and know it is a natural thing and it will not last forever.

Right now I have visions of Larry from the Three Stooges running in my mind and that style is just not me. :lol: I am seriously thinking about getting a cute wig. Similar to my hair now.

Good luck to ALL OF US SHEDDING OUR HAIR!!!! It can freak you out.

Deb B)

Chilo I am with you girl. Mine is coming out in clumps, I wash every other day and when I wash I run my hand down the bottom and a huge glob comes out. Then I will brush through easily with a wide tooth comb and it leaves a big hairball mess. Then by the time I try to do something with it, it is all over my clothes. I am now staying in the buff until I am all done with the hair and then putting my clothes on just so it is not all over me. I sweep up big piles of it from the bathroom floor every couple of days. I am finding it all over the house and even though I pull it back while I am cooking and doing dishes it is all over the place. It is sickening and quite frankly gross to have your hair falling everywhere. Between me and my stinking cat the house needs a giant sticky sheet taken to it to pick up all the hair. Grr ...i feel ya.

It's only temporary I promise. I used the Folicure extra care Shampoo, and I did have new growth coming in long before the shedding stopped. I'm still getting new growth around my forehead and temple hairline, and it's been a year since my shedding stopped.

The folicure shampoo only cleans out the buildup and scalp to let new growth come in. The only other thing I did was use a higher quality anti-breakage shampoo on the opposite days of the folicure because the folicure is very drying.

GREAT. My hair is brown and gray naturally and so I dye it blonde. I have short hair. I will die if I lose my hair. I barely have any as it is. It is fine and thin. I guess I better get a cute short cut, but I don't think i can stop dying my hair blonde to go ugly brown/gray mix. I'll talk to my doctor

GREAT. My hair is brown and gray naturally and so I dye it blonde. I have short hair. I will die if I lose my hair. I barely have any as it is. It is fine and thin. I guess I better get a cute short cut, but I don't think i can stop dying my hair blonde to go ugly brown/gray mix. I'll talk to my doctor

I had my hair heavy highlighted and lowlighted right before I knew my hair was going to fall out. I got it done just about 2 weeks before it started, and didn't color my hair for about 2.5-3 more months. Luckily, the highlights and lowlights grew out pretty evenly, and got layers cut into it to help "hide" the loss.

I am trying to find the funds to go and get my hair done before I start to lose it! LOL I do have REALLY THICK hair so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come too noticealbe if/when it happens! I shed A LOT of hair on a daily basis the way it is! LOL

I am trying to find the funds to go and get my hair done before I start to lose it! LOL I do have REALLY THICK hair so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come too noticealbe if/when it happens! I shed A LOT of hair on a daily basis the way it is! LOL

I didn't know anyone here when I had my sleeve so to see my hair during the losing phase, no one even noticed because I had so much hair. My husband and son definitely noticed, but ladies that I met around the time I started shedding didn't ever notice any difference in my hair. I did do very little "heat" applications to my hair during that time. I kept the flat ironing and blow drying to a minimum, so I had that "right out of the shower" look A LOT.

I will be going for my next hair appt the week after xmas and I think my girl is gonna freak out if all my hair starts coming out in her hands! I think because I have long hair it is even more noticeable when it is wrapped around everthing from the towels when I get them out of the dryer to long strands hanging from my jacket every day. I hope you guys are right and that I can expect about another 2 months max of this crud. I mean I love the sleeve and I will take some Hair loss heck I cant really even tell in my hair texture because I have plenty left but the hair all over the place is nuts. I am pickin up one of those travel size sticky tape rollers for my purse tomorrow.

It is pretty traumatic to see fat chunks of hair swirl toward the drain in the shower! I Shampoo only once a week now, even though that grosses me out, just to hang on to what I have. I''ve also taken to moussing and hairspraying throughout the week, purposely creating build up, because it gives the illusion of mass and heft so I can use a bobby pin without it just slipping right out.

My nut said that in order for Protein to act as a preventative you would have to be getting in well over 90 grams a day, every day.

I'm heading home on R&R and will pick up some of this Biotin you guys talk about, also, CQ10, which my nut recommends.

I don't know what's with this Protein myth...I mean, yes, you have to get a reasonable amount in, but LOTS of people (e.g. practically every vegetarian and vegan) eat only 40-50 grams a day and their hair doesn't fall out. It has to do with the surgery trauma. When you go through a major physical or emotional stress, your hair may arrest in growth and then fall out all around the same time (telogen effluvium). No amount of protein is going to do anything because the arrest happens within days of surgery. Of course, if you are eating like 100 calories and 5 grams of protein a day for months on end, then your new replacement hair actually won't grow in, but if your original hair is gonna fall out, it's gonna fall out whether you eat 20 or 100 grams of protein a day.