Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Visiting Miami and the Keys

bilka

Last September my fiancè and I bought our tickets to Miami we'll leave Italy ont eh 1st January and will stay in Florida for 2 weeks. We have already booked all the hotels and a car. I was thinking: who can better tell me anything interesting about the place, than people who actually live there have there there or just live in the US?!

I am going to be in Miami for about 4-5 days altogether, 2 days in the Everglades, one day on Marathon Isle and the rest on Key West.

What things should I definitely do? What reataurants (I won't be sleeved till February... :angel_smile:) ? What shops (I wear now a size 18/20 and need a swimsuit for keywest)? I love accessorizes,shoes, body shops, massages, make up, books, anything girlie, basically! And what should I definitely see, apart from Hemingway's museum and bar, the turtles hospital and swimming with the dolphins?

I am SO excited!!! :Dancing_wub: It's my first time in Florida and only the second time in the US!

Any suggestion is really welcome!!!

Send a message to this member here. Her and her husband live in the Keys. I live in Florida, but we live up in the northwest panhandle closer to Alabama so I can't help you with that area.

Here is the link to her profile, She's a fabulous sleevester, friend and lady ! ! !

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/user/1242-keys-pirate/

Hello Elisa! (and Tiff! You Gorgeous Momma!! :D )

Great to hear from you and so cool on your upcoming trip to the Keys and S. Florida - you'll have a great time! You've definitely picked a few of the 'not to be missed' attractions of the area and I am happy to share a few more with you. One thing I have to tell you, however, is I am so NOT a girly girl - it's not even funny!! I think I've had one massage in my life, one pedicure and maybe two manis... lol! So, my reflection of what to do may not be indicative of your tastes. I am very much an outdoors, athletic type (much of the reason I was sleeved) and my recreation time speaks accordingly.

With that, do be aware that it is downright CHILLY here in January as is the Water. That said, it's entirely possible that we will have a warm snap with air temps in the high 70's, maybe even low 80's but don't count on it. If you want to swim, bring a wetsuit to put over your swimsuit!

I don't spend much time in Miami so I can't give you much advice there; I know South Beach is a hot area as is Lincoln road - it is a road that is closed to car traffic with nothing but chic shops and restaurants up and down that's kind of neat. There is a lot of art in Miami if that is your thing.

South to the Everglades, one of our favorite places for nature and bike riding - don't miss it if you want to see alligators, Roseate spoonbills, many birds of prey and so much more in their natural element. BRING A CAMERA (duh!) - it's a great time to go as well as the bugs are at a minimum. The park is very large with good access on the north side (highway 41) and on the south from a town called Florida City. We are closer to the south side and there is a lot to do in corny old Florida City; there is a winery, a coral castle, a ridiculous fruit/veggie flea market type thing called Roger is Here (?!), airboat rides, tons of indian history and attractions (miccosukee tribe) and more. If you go thru the park to the town of Flamingo, you can kayak or canoe or even camp.

Once you get into the Keys, take your time. Not much to do or see in Key Largo except Pennekamp State park for kayaking (mangrove tunnels are really neat) or taking a glass bottom boat tour. There are a ton of dive and snorkel boats that go out of Key Largo too if you are interested. The reef that parallels the Keys is amazing... Oh, before I forget, on your way back up, maybe take Card Sound Road rather than 'the Stretch' or main highway; Card Sound is very scenic and back country. There is a cool restaurant (the only one as a matter of fact) there called Alabama Jacks that is better known for its ambiance than food...

Tavernier and then Islamorada (where I live) are next. Again, diving and fishing are the primary things to do around here. There are a zillion good restaurants too but, unfortunately, seafood is not cheap; they really capitalize on the tourist dollar, sadly. Our favorite restaurant is Lazy Days. There is a place called Theater of the Sea in Islamorada that is pretty neat; like a mini Sea World. Check out World Wide Sportsman for interesting shopping - it's got a Hemmingway boat inside as well as a huge fish tank and some cool stuff. There is a great bar upstairs with a fantastic view. If you happen to be here on the full moon, there is an excellent full moon party next door at Morada Bay. It gets pretty nutty and is a ton of fun! There aren't many beaches at all in the Keys and the few that are here are man made - mostly. You can stop at the Cheeca Lodge for their beach and to explore the gorgeous property - or to get a massage. Also in Islamorada and a little more laid back you'll see an Outback Restaurant/Hampton Inn; (a chain) stop in for a bit and check out the little beach. They often have live music outside and they used to do ultralight flights from there but I don't know if that is still the case. You can go fishing on the Captain Michael if you think you might enjoy that; they run out of Robbies Marina twice a day. Even if you don't fish, do stop by the marina and feed the Tarpon- they are mind blowing. They also sell a lot of neat, locally made stuff there.

Onward to Marathon - the Turtle hospital is fun as is the Dolphin Research Center - definitely worth checking out but not so cheap... Next door to the DRC is a restaurant called the Wreck - great food and tons of it! If you like Stone Crab, Keys Fisheries in South Marathon offers $1.25 claws at the bar only. Yum. Then you'll get to the 7 mile bridge which is cool; 7 miles over the ocean - many movies were filmed there. Not a lot to do or see in Marathon - it's really kind of a mom and pop, working Joe kinda place.

On your way south be SURE to stop in to No Name Key off of Big Pine - the Key Deer are there (the only place in the world) and most concentrated near the No Name Pub (good pizza) but it's not easy to find...The deer are about the size of a labrador retriever and will come right up to you looking for a treat... Best to see them late in the afternoon. They are amazing. There is also a Blue Hole there with a friendly (?) gator and the like - it's one of the only natural fresh Water sources in the Keys.

Not long before Key West is place called Baby's coffee on your left; stop in for a cup - you won't regret it! Ton's of cool stuff in there too.

OMG there is soooo much to do and see in Key West! our favorite area is the historic waterfront where there are a bunch of old schooners and great bars, restaurants and people watching. Must try a Key Lime martini but only at a place called the White Tarpon - everywhere else they are crap. Be careful tho - any more than two and you will be on the floor! Go for a sunset sail on any of the schooners; we are partial to the one called the Western Union as we were married on her but they all do a great job. All of the restaurants are good; you really can't go wrong. We love the Rum Barrel. Of course Duval Street can't be missed. There is another bar called Captain Tony's off Duval that is the oldest bar there and the ceiling is covered in... bras... and is known for their Pirate's Punch (we sound like absolute lushes but adults go to KW primarily for one reason...!) We really enjoy the Butterfly Conservatory - more than we thought we would - it's very relaxing and just plain neat. Again, take a camera. If you go there, you won't be far from the Southernmost Point and a nice beach. It's good that you are spending 5 days in KW - you won't get bored, I promise. Make sure you spend plenty of time walking around and getting off the beaten path; there are no unsafe areas to worry about. You will find a super old cemetary, an historic bar called the Green Parrot and the Truman Annex with a free ocean museum and a couple of old military boats. Also, take the trolley around town; it is tourist to the max but it really is an excellent tour with information to be gleaned nowhere else and they go all over the island. You'll have a blast, no doubt about it. We have been living here for over 6 years and we still go to KW for a getaway on a regular basis.

And please, you are not being rude in the least, I'd be looking you up if I was coming your way, without a doubt! ;)

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have, I'm happy to help! And good luck with your sleeve!!!!!!!!!

Carol

p.s. I'll post this on the board too in case anyone else might be coming this way.

I received it as a private message too and... What can I say? THANK YOU SO MUCH! :hug:

It's really great, we'll have many things to do now on the Keys! I am so happy!!!

I am quite (very?) girly, even though we normally take our historical visiting trips in summer with his brothers or my sister and her kids. In January we go on holiday on our owns and we want to relax, enjoy the nature and get spoiled.

Everything you told us perfectly suits the type of holiday we are organising!

If you (or anyone else) need suggestions for Italy... Well, I'll try to do the same (even though I am not sure I will be able to be this accurate!)!

Jealous! I was there in June. We flew into Miami, stayed there for 2 or 3 days, then rented a car to drive down to Key West, with a few stops. There are some cute little family-owned motels on the islands, check them out if you haven't booked a hotel yet; many will be right on the shore, so you can bathe and kayak in peace without being bothered by other people. Some of them have lots of character, I think people just buy them out after retiring and pretty much treat the property as their home - we stayed at one that had giant cages with exotic animals in them all over the property!

Oh, and to add to the above info re: Everglades - we went there, as well, and I'd recommend paying an extra $10 or whatever it is for the airboat ride. My boyfriend and I had never been on an airboat before, and he still won't shut up about it 6 months later! LOL. We also had some fried gator at one of the roadside shacks there, it's not as expensive as you'd expect, but it's very good and then you get bragging rights - not many people have had gator meat, unless they live on the Gulf Coast!

And yeah, I'd definitely load up on Cuban food while you still can. Since I went to Miami before my surgery, it was all fried plantains all the time for me.

I have another question...

I read the list you made about the things you should take with you to the hospital.

I saw things like gas strips, which are amazing really, and heating pads. We probably have the second here, but we do not have the strips: in which shops can I buy them once I am in the USA?

My surgery will be at the beginning of January, so it'll be a good time to start shopping a bit.

I also need a decent pj (I normally sleep in my fiancè's old military t-shirts) and a soft bra. What kind of shops offer these items (I am sure you too have chains of shops called the same everywhere)? If I know names I can find the closest ones to my hotel and buy all I need!

Thank you!

Heh, can't go wrong with Lane Giant. I mean Lane Bryant ;) It is a chain also for plus sizes and they do have some cute stuff and great bras. The only thing I miss about being fat - I can't buy my bras there any more!! Lol! I don't know where you are staying but the one I used to go to is off of Kendall Drive and the turnpike. Remember too, don't go crazy in there as you will be dropping sizes so fast that you won't get to enjoy your new clothes for long.

I think I was in my hospital gown 90% of the time...

Oh, you can get Gas X strips in any CVS or Walgreens, Kmart, Walmart, just about anywhere.

Yay!

C

I have another question...

I read the list you made about the things you should take with you to the hospital.

I saw things like gas strips, which are amazing really, and heating pads. We probably have the second here, but we do not have the strips: in which shops can I buy them once I am in the USA?

My surgery will be at the beginning of January, so it'll be a good time to start shopping a bit.

I also need a decent pj (I normally sleep in my fiancè's old military t-shirts) and a soft bra. What kind of shops offer these items (I am sure you too have chains of shops called the same everywhere)? If I know names I can find the closest ones to my hotel and buy all I need!

Thank you!

OMG! I just looked at the website of Lane Bryant! Im gonna spend all my money there I still have a couple of months as a big girl, I should enjoy them :devil_smile:!

And they also sell swimsuits!!!

We will be in Florida for a biz conference 3rd - 6th April and I fancy the keys either before or after this date? Any advice and we are both PADI sports divers too.

Jane x

Almost ready to leave...We have about 28°F here in Torino, we are freezing and I can't wait to have at least 15°C above 0°! It's gonna be great and I am so excited!

I have one more question: what's the ice hockey team of Miami? My little nephew plays this sport and I would love to bring him back some t-shirts and other ice hockey related stuff, but my knowledge of sport is below 0 and I should look it up before I get there so that I now what and where I am looking for!

Hey Bilka!

Sorry for the delay! And, sorry to say there is no Miami hockey team at all... :( Wish there was! Have a great time and have a great new year!

C

Almost ready to leave...We have about 28°F here in Torino, we are freezing and I can't wait to have at least 15°C above 0°! It's gonna be great and I am so excited!

I have one more question: what's the ice hockey team of Miami? My little nephew plays this sport and I would love to bring him back some t-shirts and other ice hockey related stuff, but my knowledge of sport is below 0 and I should look it up before I get there so that I now what and where I am looking for!

AAAAH!!! Just arrived and already loving it!!!! How's that possible??? Super friendly people and amazing weather great cocktails (not enough alcohol, but still!) and diet Dr. Pepper... I could die here! I LOVE IT!!!

I guess I'll just buy basketball jerseys instead of hockey... It'll be alright! What's the basketball team called here again???