Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UGh WORST NEWS EVER....

SO, i was told yesterday by my Nurse... that we have to STOP coffee before surgery. this is horrible news. i am totally addicted to coffee. how do i wean without getting an awful headache!?!? help me out!!

i love my coffee.

i call it my 'happy juice'.....

ugh.

but on the plus side... things are looking more and more positive for surgery to be approved!! still waiting for the office to submit to insurance but its postiive right now!

I had the same problem but with Diet Coke. I stopped cold turkey on October 1st. I was prepared for massive headaches and nausea, because I had stopped before and had a terrible time. But this time it was a piece of cake. I would start out every morning at McDonalds with a big 32oz Diet Coke, and then at least 3 or 4 20 oz bottles throught the day. I wish you luck. You can do it... it's for a good cause. My surgery is next Tuesday.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. The only time I don't drink coffee every morning is when I am deathly ill. And apparently when having WLS :-). So, my plan starting today is to gradually mix in greater proportions of Decaf into my coffee. You might still have headaches, but they won't be as bad. Good luck!

yes- i was thinking of doing the 1/2 reg 1/2 Decaf and then moving slowly to all decaf.

we can drink it again after surgery... yes??

That's odd. I just started my 1 week pre-op liquid diet and one of the 'unlimited' things I'm allowed to have is coffee, so long as I use artificial sweeteners and lowfat/fat free Creamer. I only drink 1 cup or so each morning anyways so I'll probably try and reduce/cut out completely the last couple days.

That's odd. I just started my 1 week pre-op liquid diet and one of the 'unlimited' things I'm allowed to have is coffee, so long as I use artificial sweeteners and lowfat/fat free creamer. I only drink 1 cup or so each morning anyways so I'll probably try and reduce/cut out completely the last couple days.

The reason we are all cutting back is that you cannot drink coffee right after the operation for a while. Maybe 6 weeks? So, if you are addicted like I am, they want you to be over the addiction at the time of the operation, so you aren't having severe caffeine headaches along with everything else you have to deal with. Your doc may not require you to quit now, but, it's probably a good idea.

I had the coffee headaches everyday for two weeks after giving birth to my daughter. i was told not to drink coffee because I was nursing. Once I stopped nursing, I went right back to my coffee habit.

When it came time to get ready for surgery, I knew I had to wean slowly to prevent the coffee headaches. I started out with brewing my coffee with three parts caf and 1 part Decaf. Then I switched it to 1 part caf to 1 part decaf then 1 part caf to 3 parts decaf. I went to 100% decaf after that. I had no headaches whatsoever that time around.

AniO

SO, i was told yesterday by my Nurse... that we have to STOP coffee before surgery. this is horrible news. i am totally addicted to coffee. how do i wean without getting an awful headache!?!? help me out!!

i love my coffee.

i call it my 'happy juice'.....

ugh.

but on the plus side... things are looking more and more positive for surgery to be approved!! still waiting for the office to submit to insurance but its postiive right now!

Did they tell you WHY you have to quit coffee? I totally love coffee too, but won't tell you what to do cause it'll be wrong. . . laugh.gif

I was told by my doctor that the coffee would not count toward my Water intake. They said that I could drink Decaf and it would .. It really all depends on what doc you have. My doctor says that every doctor is different. My guilty pleasure is Diet cokes and I know that I will have to go with decaf tea or water. But as soon as I get good enough with water intake I plan to drink coffee and all the water they require. good luck with your journey