Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The good thing about being a slow loser

Thank you for this.., I had already been thinking along these lines, but I didn't want to sound like I was making excuses... I can't stress enough how I am ticking all the boxes and I do feel really good physically... I have thought along the lines of insulin resistant... ??

I had a test done for cushings a few years ago and that was all clear. I mentioned PCOS to my dr, went for the tests and the consultant said it wasn't going to be an issue for me cos I didn't want anymore children... so I am still non the wiser to whether that is an issue for me or not.. I do know that my monthlys are out of whack!

I'll speak with my surgeon or his nurse and see what they say...

Thanks again for all your support,.. I think I might have gone daft without this place... xxxx

Coops you should ask your doctor if they can test your thyroids if they haven't yet, I think if you were insulin resistant you would have symptoms, at least I did, arghhhhhhh annoying isn't it!!!:angry:

Coops you should ask your doctor if they can test your thyroids if they haven't yet, I think if you were insulin resistant you would have symptoms, at least I did, arghhhhhhh annoying isn't it!!!:angry:

Hey Chilo,

the last time I had my thyroid t3sted was about 4 years ago... came back lower end of normal! They did it the same time they tested for cushing.

What are the symptoms of insulin resistant?

=]

Hey Chilo,

the last time I had my thyroid t3sted was about 4 years ago... came back lower end of normal! They did it the same time they tested for cushing.

What are the symptoms of insulin resistant?

=]

Well my symptoms were getting really nauseous and shakey after excersicing, to the point where my handswould literally shake as if it was freezing cold (when it wasn't) and I would need something to eat after which i would inmediately feel better. The other symptom was the fat around my middle/belly, i always used to have a flat bell no matter what (a pear shape) and suddenly about 5 years ago I started putting on all the weight round my middle turning into an apple shape. I was put on a lowcarb diet by my endocrinologist, the symptoms disppeared, not the the weight around my belly though, lost nearly a stone, but that was it.

I am losing an average of 1-2 lbs per week. It's very frustrating to lose so slowly, but now I am at 30 lbs lost (in 4 months) and starting to see how those 1 lb losses can start to add up. I thought I would be much closer to my goal weight by now but I am hoping that I can keep losing a pound a week for the next 60 weeks. Is that possible?

I'm not quite 2 months out so I really can't call myself a slow loser yet. I do know that I am quite a bit slower that a friend who started the process one day before I did.

You know, I've just chalked it up to different body types, different metabolism and the fact that I need to get my butt off the couch and out the door to exercise !

Yes, somedays I dwell on the scale, but most days I just enjoy the fact that I Am moving through my closet...do you guys have a closet full of lap band clothes that didn't fit anymore, too?...and getting rid of things as I go! I have actually moved all my winter clothes upstairs so I will have a place to go "shopping" in the Fall. Hopefully, I'll be bagging it all up for Goodwill!!!

Life is good and my sleeve is my friend!

Barb

Thought I would make a quick update on the slow loser thread....

I am over year out now... and still a slow loser. Since the beginning of the year I have lost 20lb (just over 30 weeks, so not even an average of a pound a week!). That is slow... but it is still coming off. I have had blips in the matrix, whereby I got really frustrated and hacked off that I didn't focus on anything but restriction. That being said, even on an 'off' day, I still can't eat much and therefore my cals are still in the lowish range. My highest cal is no more than 1300 and that is a real BAD day.... average now is about 1000 and I am still on the slow train to goalsville.

I know that I will reach goal one day... I just hoped it would be by now... I refuse to give up on myself but I am struggling a little. I did a week on very low carbs... lost a pound, the following week I didn't worry, just ate healthy food and lost a pound... makes no sense. It would seem that my body will just do as it wants!

I feel like this causes me a constant state of flux... as my head is saying, you are doing well... you are eating good food and exercising more and more; getting stronger and fitter... but then my body now isn't really changing - or at least I can't see or feel a change - my scales aren't moving much... 2-3lb a mth my clothes aren't that much bigger ... and my hormones are just out of whack ... early menopause isn't great when you aren't at goal. My surgeon and his nurse haven't really given me anything to think about or help. They just said that what I have lost so far is good enough, but I don't agree... I am still obese! I don't want to be obese...*sighs and stamps feet like a little girl!*

Like I have said before, I will keep plodding along; I will keep doing what I am doing and hopefully, eventually I will be in a place that I like.

I think the slow losing thing has had two different effects on me. Firstly, I am soooooo grateful for the weight that I have lost to date... to have my life and health back on track is great. But, secondly, being stuck in the same poundage just emphasises the fact that I am not at goal...

Oh I dunno... I feel like I am rambling now!

Sorry for the vent, just felt like I needed to get it off my chest so to speak!

Since the beginning of the year I have lost 20lb (just over 30 weeks, so not even an average of a pound a week!). That is slow... but it is still coming off.

Coops,

You're not alone, I just checked and since the beginning of the year, I've dropped a little over 17 pounds. My approach has been completely different, in that, I have not 'dieted' per se. I had this surgery so I wouldn't have to diet, diets stopped working for me years ago and made me miserable. Bottom line is I have to eat less, and move more. I do prefer healthy Protein and veg over bad carbs. I still eat carbs, I wouldn't feel satisfied if I didn't. For me the GREAT thing is, I just can't eat that much. I'm ok with losing slow, before surgery I wasn't losing, but gaining. So, this is okay with me.

My biggest challenge has been that my hunger never went away, I feel hungry at all the usual times and during my TOM I feel hunger even after my tummy is full. It is very frustrating. PPIs never helped, but gaviscon does a little.

Well, I know our stories are not the same, but slow is slow. And you're not alone.

Coops, I know this has probably been covered ad nauseum elsewhere, but I can't find it--have you had your thyroid levels checked, I mean thoroughly checked? Just having a TSH won't do it--they should do a test for each type of thyroid hormone and be sure you don't need supplementation. I know from personal experience--when my thyroid was underperforming, my doc told me I wouldn't lose weight even if I had a ZERO calorie intake, because my metabolism was so slow. I didn't feel any different (well, tired occasionally, but nothing drastic), but she told me flat out that my thyroid was the key to being able to lose weight, period. We got it adjusted before surgery through proper medication.

As I say, you've probably had this test and answered this concern millions of times, but I so feel for you with the slow weight loss--how absolutely maddening to be doing everything right and still have it going so slowly (albeit in the right direction!).

Coops,

You're not alone, I just checked and since the beginning of the year, I've dropped a little over 17 pounds. My approach has been completely different, in that, I have not 'dieted' per se. I had this surgery so I wouldn't have to diet, diets stopped working for me years ago and made me miserable. Bottom line is I have to eat less, and move more. I do prefer healthy Protein and veg over bad carbs. I still eat carbs, I wouldn't feel satisfied if I didn't. For me the GREAT thing is, I just can't eat that much. I'm ok with losing slow, before surgery I wasn't losing, but gaining. So, this is okay with me.

My biggest challenge has been that my hunger never went away, I feel hungry at all the usual times and during my TOM I feel hunger even after my tummy is full. It is very frustrating. PPIs never helped, but gaviscon does a little.

Well, I know our stories are not the same, but slow is slow. And you're not alone.

Thank you for your reply... I agree... as long as we get there... and your approach is very refreshing!! I come on here regularly to see how peeps are doing... and as much as I enjoy the success stories and am pleased for those that lose ultra quickly, I can't help but feel a tad envious. Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone! Slow but sure wins the race, eh? x

Coops, I know this has probably been covered ad nauseum elsewhere, but I can't find it--have you had your thyroid levels checked, I mean thoroughly checked? Just having a TSH won't do it--they should do a test for each type of thyroid hormone and be sure you don't need supplementation. I know from personal experience--when my thyroid was underperforming, my doc told me I wouldn't lose weight even if I had a ZERO calorie intake, because my metabolism was so slow. I didn't feel any different (well, tired occasionally, but nothing drastic), but she told me flat out that my thyroid was the key to being able to lose weight, period. We got it adjusted before surgery through proper medication.

As I say, you've probably had this test and answered this concern millions of times, but I so feel for you with the slow weight loss--how absolutely maddening to be doing everything right and still have it going so slowly (albeit in the right direction!).

Hey!

I had a lot of bloods tested a while back that included thyroid and it came back as the lower end of normal. I might ask for them to be checked again... I would of hoped that losing weight would help the balance for the best?

I do know that my lady hormones are not working in my favour... that is just something that I have to accept and hope that the loss continues regardess of speed!

At least now, I am fit enough to exercise out the frustration that I feel when the scales are being horrid to me...lol

Hi all.

I figured I would come here and post since my post in the "success" thread won't post. I am 7 months post op and down about 73 pounds. I thought it would be more at this point. In the past MONTH I have not lost a single pound. my weigh flux between 208 and 210. I have changed my personal goal to 185. My husband really likes thick girls and he is a little worried (and too honest) that if i lose more than 25 more pounds he may "get that feeling" from looking at me. But you know what I am OK with that number. My doctor's goal for me was 150 because she says I have "big bones."

But not losing the last month and really about 6 weeks put me in a rut. I know I am losing inches because my pants fit sooooo much better. My thighs in a 16 are not squished. They are "normal". That's a rant in itself. I went from a 22/24 to a 16/18 in 73 pounds. i have seen others sleeved around the same time. Who have lost 80-100 pounds wearing 10-12. I know these paints are not vanity sized because I got them from New York & Co about 4 years ago.

Well I say all of this to say I pay that in the 5 month to go before my 1 year anniversary I reach my personal goal of 182 which is 100 pounds lost since surgery. I am going to keep trying everything- uping the calories, lowering the cals, increasing the fat, lowering the fat, 100oz of Water a day, 64 ounces of water a day, green tea, black tea, Activa Light, no carbs, more card, 65+ grams of carbs- and all in the shabang I forgot.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Hiya ATLGirl,

I can completely understand where you are coming from... and this is a good place to have a bloody good rant and get it our of your system!

I've just checked and my mth 7 & 8 I didn't lose a pound (Feb - March)! It is really frustrating isn't it. Since then I have lost 14lb, so it is coming off just very slowly, and I am not gaining (other than the Water fluctations... weekly it is either the same or a small loss)!

I am sure that in the next 5mths, you will realise your goal... keep doing what you are doing because you are shrinking, the clothes getting loser is a good feeling isn't it!

Remember the scales are evil no gooders who are just playing with our heads... our clothes on the other hand are our friends who can't and won't lie!

Feel free to have a rant anytime... and good luck x

I have a question for all of you...I heard when you on a stall you are losing inches instead of lbs., is this correct??? And how in the world does this work???

I had always thought maybe it is because we are eating so much Protein, gaining muscle,losing fat but muscle weighs more than fat.

I like what everyone said about being a slow loser. For me, I can wear pretty much the same clothes. Bra size hadn’t changed yet. Almost 6 weeks into and people at work are starting to notice the weight loss. Go figure. Hubby is more frustrated than I am. It seemed the week of my cycle last month, I dropped the most.