Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days out and not losing

Hello everyone,

I am hoping there is someone who can put my concerns at ease. I got my sleeve on November 30, 2010. It has been several days on Clear liquids. Not only have I not lost any weight, but I have gained 4 lbs. since the day of my surgery. How is this even possible? Am I doing something wrong? I just don't get it. If this is happening now, what's going to happen when I start creamy and mushy food? Also everyone seems to have some difficulty getting liquids in throughout the day. I do not have this problem. I don't gulp, but I can drink without having to sip.

Hello DMSRCHICK,

It is nice to "meet" you! We are sleeve buddies because we were sleeved on the same day! Today is also my one week surger-versary. I have weighed in at 281 pounds last Tuesday. This morning I am 264 pounds, for a total weight loss of 17 pounds.

I am not sure why you are gaining weight. Maybe someone with a little more experience than us can address this. I have my one week follow-up tomorrow. Are you able to call or go see your doctor? I do know it is not good to begin to compare yourself to others, but I would be a little concerned that you are gaining weight on liquids.

I must sip my liquids. I made the mistake and took a gulp of Water last night. I think I was so thirsty that I forgot the sleeve was there. I has the worst pain in my stomach that lasted about 20 seconds and the went away with a burp!

I wish you the absolute best. Let's keep in touch. Let us know what your doctor says. I will ask my doctor about your scenario when I see him tomorrow, if you don't mind.

Be Encouraged!

Hello everyone,

I am hoping there is someone who can put my concerns at ease. I got my sleeve on November 30, 2010. It has been several days on Clear Liquids. Not only have I not lost any weight, but I have gained 4 lbs. since the day of my surgery. How is this even possible? Am I doing something wrong? I just don't get it. If this is happening now, what's going to happen when I start creamy and mushy food? Also everyone seems to have some difficulty getting liquids in throughout the day. I do not have this problem. I don't gulp, but I can drink without having to sip.

Hello everyone,

I am hoping there is someone who can put my concerns at ease. I got my sleeve on November 30, 2010. It has been several days on clear liquids. Not only have I not lost any weight, but I have gained 4 lbs. since the day of my surgery. How is this even possible? Am I doing something wrong? I just don't get it. If this is happening now, what's going to happen when I start creamy and mushy food? Also everyone seems to have some difficulty getting liquids in throughout the day. I do not have this problem. I don't gulp, but I can drink without having to sip.

I'm new at this game, and admittedly don't know much at all, but this doesn't sound quite right to me. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be giving my Dr. a call to get his/her thoughts on the matter. Do you feel as if you're retaining a lot of Water? Are the liquids you're consuming salty? What would you say your normal daily intake is? Any past issues with edema? I wish I could help...please update if you get any more information. :hug:

Hi DMS, welcome to VST and the losers bench!!

It is very possible the gain is from your IV fluids. Right now is the time to worry more about healing. The weight loss WILL come, promise. Do not stress over the scales right now, you have to concern yourself with your health and getting better. Follow your surgeons guidelines 100%!!

Once that scale starts going in the right direction, I'm absolutely sure you will see a big drop.

Hang in there!! You have only just begun.

You're body is just pretty pissed off at you right now. We went from eating 2000-3000 calories a day to a mere 600-800, plus all we're giving it is fluids. You're bloated, retaining waters and was pumped full fluids during surgery to prevent dehydration. You will lose weight, and you really can not compare yourself to others. Your body is individualized and so will your recovery and weight loss. No one loses at the same rate, no one heals at the same rate, just stay the course with your prescribed post-op plan, and you will lose.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and many words of encouragement. It was exactly what I needed today. I know these things take time and my body is going through it right now. I guess I needed to be reminded of that, so thanks again.

I wanted to respond to some of your questions. Although I don't add salt to anything, I would agree that the broth I'm eating is probably too salty. I just might be retaining fluids and I don't have any Edema issues . I didn't even think about all of the IV fluids I received while in the hospital.

Even though I write down what I consume, I'm going to keep closer tabs on things like ounces of fluids, Protein and sodium. Thanks again and I hope this won't be the last time we chat.

DMSRCHICK ~;)

Natalie,

Thanks for the response to my cry for help. I would love to know what your doctor thinks. Its seems like there are quite a few differing opinions between doctors. I haven't emailed my own doctor yet. I'm going to do later today.

It's nice to meet someone who shares my anniversary date. Let's keep in touch.

Ciao,

DMSRCHICK

Hello DMSRCHICK,

It is nice to "meet" you! We are sleeve buddies because we were sleeved on the same day! Today is also my one week surger-versary. I have weighed in at 281 pounds last Tuesday. This morning I am 264 pounds, for a total weight loss of 17 pounds.

I am not sure why you are gaining weight. Maybe someone with a little more experience than us can address this. I have my one week follow-up tomorrow. Are you able to call or go see your doctor? I do know it is not good to begin to compare yourself to others, but I would be a little concerned that you are gaining weight on liquids.

I must sip my liquids. I made the mistake and took a gulp of Water last night. I think I was so thirsty that I forgot the sleeve was there. I has the worst pain in my stomach that lasted about 20 seconds and the went away with a burp!

I wish you the absolute best. Let's keep in touch. Let us know what your doctor says. I will ask my doctor about your scenario when I see him tomorrow, if you don't mind.

Be Encouraged!

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I had only lost 2 lbs since surgery. I looked at what I was taking in. I was only getting 500 cals a day. It is hard to add calories on clear liquids so I added another Protein Shake. I lost 2.5 lbs yesterday. Not sure if it is my body finally kicking in or adding calories, but at least the weight is coming off now.

Hi. My surgery was 10/26/10 and today is my 6 week "surgiversary". To date I have only lost 16 lbs. About 5 lbs. of that has come off in the last week since I've INCREASED my intake to closer to 1,000. So, I went from 232 to 221 in 5 weeks. I didn't really lose much of anything for the first couple weeks. I could totally have lost more weight faster without the surgery! Though my progress has been VERY SLOW, my surgeon assures me that there is nothing wrong with me and the weight WILL come off. I was just as scared and frustrated as you. Just hang in there and things will get better!

Lisa :)

I wish that there weren't so many inconsistencies between doctors and their guidances. I was told to follow my post-op directives closely. I'm not supposed to add Protein until I start my second week when I begin creamy foods. I hope I will start to see a change soon ... I wish you the best.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I had only lost 2 lbs since surgery. I looked at what I was taking in. I was only getting 500 cals a day. It is hard to add calories on clear liquids so I added another Protein shake. I lost 2.5 lbs yesterday. Not sure if it is my body finally kicking in or adding calories, but at least the weight is coming off now.

Thanks, I'll do that ~;)

Hi. My surgery was 10/26/10 and today is my 6 week "surgiversary". To date I have only lost 16 lbs. About 5 lbs. of that has come off in the last week since I've INCREASED my intake to closer to 1,000. So, I went from 232 to 221 in 5 weeks. I didn't really lose much of anything for the first couple weeks. I could totally have lost more weight faster without the surgery! Though my progress has been VERY SLOW, my surgeon assures me that there is nothing wrong with me and the weight WILL come off. I was just as scared and frustrated as you. Just hang in there and things will get better!

Lisa :)

I think it is important to remember that the different post-op diets we are given for the first 4-6 weeks are NOT aimed at loosing weight, their sole puropse is the allow the stomach to heal and to give it a smooth start again after the surgery.

You will gain weight from the IV fluids, some bodies will be in chock after surgery and therefore hold on to weight or even gain. In a perfect world, none of us would step onto the scales at all for the first 4-5 weeks, so much stress would be avoided. :-)

The weight will come off, give it time and stick to your doctors plan to let your stomach and the rest of your body catch up.

Best wishes and good luck!

Wow!!! I don't know what I would do without my Protein Shakes. I am sure once you start getting calories in you will start losing. Good luck. It may not happen as fast as we all want, but a year from now we will look back and wonder what we were all worried about.

My surgery date was December 1, and my weight was 328. Today, my weight is.... 328! I am a little frustrated, and am having trouble getting many calories in. I'm averaging around 300 a day, on clear liquids with a little Protein Powder added and the occasional SF/FF pudding with Protein powder added. I don't see my doc until 12/17, and I wish it were sooner!

Hey NinaX,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's so hard not to compare results with others. I am glad there is a place for me to go that will remind me of these things. Thanks for your feedback.

I think it is important to remember that the different post-op diets we are given for the first 4-6 weeks are NOT aimed at loosing weight, their sole propose is the allow the stomach to heal and to give it a smooth start again after the surgery.

You will gain weight from the IV fluids, some bodies will be in chock after surgery and therefore hold on to weight or even gain. In a perfect world, none of us would step onto the scales at all for the first 4-5 weeks, so much stress would be avoided. :-)

The weight will come off, give it time and stick to your doctors plan to let your stomach and the rest of your body catch up.

Best wishes and good luck!