Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any simple, fast, delicious recepies for a BEGINNER??

Hi Friends,

I was sleeved November 29,2010 and am still on my clear liquid phase. I am 20 and have never ever cooked anything other than something out of a box with directions on the back. While I was growing up my mother was always a working woman and I was never taught how to cook anything! I am married and we have been married for over a year now... we have basically been buying really expensive tv dinners and eating out constantly (before my surgery). Now that I am sitting home during my healing process I keep thinking about how wonderful it would be if I knew how to cook! Grilling, Sauting, Roasting, Baking.... everything! I could learn how to cook and make healthy healthy meals for my husband and I. We have no kids and both work full time (at the same company too!) We are together most of the time and usually by the time we leave work we are both tired and do not want to cook. Mc Donalds is just so close and we can smell it walking to the car!

Now that I have had my surgery and am really struggling to get in all my liquids (just not hungry) I keep thinking about how fun it would be to prepare food. Maybe it isn't ... I really don't know. But maybe that can be my new thing instead of over eating. I think I will ask him to go buy us a small indoor grill so I can make shrimp and veggie Shesh Kabobs. (Not that I know how to cook that but it would be great.

After my healing is done I will be back working full time along side my hubby and we will come home to our 2 children (cat and pet snake); excercise and relax.

Sorry for my rambling, I just wanted to fully explain my situation.

If you have any quick, great tasting recepies, tips, advice .... PLEASE share it. I am a beginner starting at square 1. :blink:

Thanks,

Madeline

My number one recommendation for beginners is 1) get a 4 quart crock pot, crock pot liners(found in the aluminum foil aisle of stores) and check out allrecipes.com crock pot recipe section 2) Get a George Foreman grill (I have the GF 360), get the one with removable plates for easier, effortless clean up

The easiest recipes for the GFG are meats marinated in either a dry rub, or Italian dressing. I use Italian dressing A LOT for chicken breasts. I slice the chicken breast (boneless skinless) into strips like chicken tenders, toss it in a big gallon size ziploc baggy with italian dressing, let it marinade for up to 24 hours. Heat up the GF grill, slap the chicken on the grill, cook for 7-8 minutes, remove and VOILA super moist, easy to eat, tender chicken.

I make kabobs with red/green pepper chunks, red potato chunks, beef sausage links and chicken breast chunks. I marinade the peppers, chicken and sausage in the Robusto Italian dressing my WishBone. Take 3-4 size B red potatoes and quarter them, rinse, and fill a microwave safe bowl with Water, microwave for 8 minutes until the potatoes are semi-soft. I skewer the meat, peppers and potatoes on bamboo skewers, and cook them on the GFG for 8-10 minutes rotating once during that time to ensure even cooking. You can use any veggie you like squash and zucchini hold up in the marinade mix as do mushrooms, I just do not like any of those, but will make them for my family occasionally.

Ground beef/turkey recipes are super easy depending on your taste, and again, I highly recommend allrecipes.com for recipe searching. I've posted several easy to make recipes that are more sleeve friendly that I've prepared for my family in the "food"/recipe section of the forum.

With the crock pot recipes, you can toss everything in, FROZEN chicken breast work great and the meat doesn't turn to absolute mush, set it on low for 8-10 hours and when y'all get home, throw a side dish together, and your dinner is ready in less than 10-20 minutes. I buy a lot of the Green Giant Steamables like the broccoli with cheese sauce, and the mixed veggies with rosemary butter sauce are staples in my home.

Any of the recipes that you find that call for sour cream, substitute non-fat plain flavored Greek yogurt, you cut carbs, increase Protein, and it doesn't change the taste of the recipe. Greek yogurt actually makes things more creamy in my opinion.

If you like barbque, get a small 2-4lbs roast (pork or beef) work well. Trim all the visible fat from the roast, toss it in the crock pot with barbque sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, a little worchestershire sauce, set the crock pot on low for 8-10 hours, the fat that cooks out of the meat will be on top, strain it off with a ladle, pull the roast out of the crock pot and shred it with 2 forks, then toss it back in the crock pot to mix with the sauce. Any leftovers can be frozen for up to 6 months in a freezer bag, and up to one year in a vacuum sealed, freezer bag.

I go through probably 20 cans of various creamy Soups per month. I buy all the reduced fat/reduced sodium Soups, and these make great gravies, and makes meat super tender.

Wow! Thank you so much! I spoke to my grandmother and she is all about her crockpot. She said it is so easy to make anything and all you do is stick what you want to eat in there and later it is done. That sounds extremely simple and perfect! I will look that website up now! . Thanks Tiffy!!

+1 for the crockpot! have the exact kind of worklife you do. I hate coming home to cook when I feel tired, but the crockpot has made it much, much easier for me! One thing I highly recommend if it's just you and your hubby is to get a smaller crockpot, too. I have a big one and a little 1.5 quart one which is perfect for cooking for 1 or 2 people. Crockpots work best if they are pretty full, so if you want to make smaller portions, this is a GREAT option! Along with my small crockpot, I got a really great crockpot cookbook for smaller crocks. It's perfect for 2 person meals. I can't remember the title of it, but if you are interested, send me a personal message, and I'll remember to find it for you.

Another of my "go-to" easy, high-Protein options is to make omelets--you can make them with egg whites or egg beaters, and you can throw in veggies, a bit of cheese, or some grilled chicken and make a quick salad, and you have dinner in about 15 mins.

I

I have learned a TON about cooking from the internet!!!

I've been married 14+ years, and have 2 daughters, ages 8 and almost 10, but when I was first married, at age 24, I used to make microwave popcorn for DINNER!! My mom is an excellent cook, but so much that she could never "give up control" in the kitchen and "teach" me to cook. She always insisted on doing it all herself. \

Use the internet to google recipes, and pay attention to fat, calories, sugar and carbs, and work on recipes that get you that Protein first (that is my new mantra for the sleeve!)

I hope you have fun trying out new things, it will take time (it is a process, this learning how to cook!) But you have the sleeve as your tool and your guide, and hopefully this will be a fun new adventure for you both!

+1 for the crockpot! have the exact kind of worklife you do. I hate coming home to cook when I feel tired, but the crockpot has made it much, much easier for me! One thing I highly recommend if it's just you and your hubby is to get a smaller crockpot, too. I have a big one and a little 1.5 quart one which is perfect for cooking for 1 or 2 people. Crockpots work best if they are pretty full, so if you want to make smaller portions, this is a GREAT option! Along with my small crockpot, I got a really great crockpot cookbook for smaller crocks. It's perfect for 2 person meals. I can't remember the title of it, but if you are interested, send me a personal message, and I'll remember to find it for you.

Another of my "go-to" easy, high-Protein options is to make omelets--you can make them with egg whites or egg beaters, and you can throw in veggies, a bit of cheese, or some grilled chicken and make a quick salad, and you have dinner in about 15 mins.

I

I am glad I read this! This afternoon my husband and I went to Walmart and I bought a 7qt crock pot! When I got home I went on WalMart.com and read some reviews on the one that seemed perfect in the store and it was a really a problem starter! So I just returned it for a refund and will do some research before purchasing another. I know that if I start cooking I will want moist food... not anything dry!! lol

So I might just get 2 of them or start with a smaller one and practice and then upgrade if needed.

Thank you!

(The name of the recepie cook you had would be helpful... I might be able to get it on eBay):D

I have learned a TON about cooking from the internet!!!

I've been married 14+ years, and have 2 daughters, ages 8 and almost 10, but when I was first married, at age 24, I used to make microwave popcorn for DINNER!! My mom is an excellent cook, but so much that she could never "give up control" in the kitchen and "teach" me to cook. She always insisted on doing it all herself. \

Use the internet to google recipes, and pay attention to fat, calories, sugar and carbs, and work on recipes that get you that Protein first (that is my new mantra for the sleeve!)

I hope you have fun trying out new things, it will take time (it is a process, this learning how to cook!) But you have the sleeve as your tool and your guide, and hopefully this will be a fun new adventure for you both!

I think it willl be! I am excited about learning. My husband and I hardly ever get a home cooked meal and this year we had a pot-luck Thanksgiving at my older sisters house and I had to bring the utensils! Even my little sister made a cheese/ ground meat chip dip! LOL I think this will be fun and the croc pot sounds like a dream. Thank you for the advice!

I am glad I read this! This afternoon my husband and I went to Walmart and I bought a 7qt crock pot! When I got home I went on WalMart.com and read some reviews on the one that seemed perfect in the store and it was a really a problem starter! So I just returned it for a refund and will do some research before purchasing another. I know that if I start cooking I will want moist food... not anything dry!! lol

So I might just get 2 of them or start with a smaller one and practice and then upgrade if needed.

Thank you!

(The name of the recepie cook you had would be helpful... I might be able to get it on eBay):D

Hey there! Glad it was helpful! My little 1.5 crock is this Proctor Silex one. I love it! I also have a larger crockpot that I use when I want to make a big batch of something and freeze some of it. That one is a CuisineArt, and it's a bit pricier. However, if you don't want to shell out the buxx, I think cheaper ones work just as well!!!

The cookbook is called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker recipes" by Hensperger. It has some really great simple recipes that should be perfect for WLS. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

Crock pots are great for chili, split pea and lentil Soup and steel cut irish oats!

The MOST IMPORTANT thing about buying a Crock pot is BUY ONE that YOU CAN SEPARATE!!! EASY cleaning...if you purchase one that is all together then you have to be careful when you wash it not the get the electric wires wet!! If you buy it separate you just pick the crock out of the pot and wash it! PLUS, sometimes I put together everything the night before and store in my refrigerator so I don't have prepare it before work!!! Next morning I just take the CROCK out and put in the POT and set it on LOW and cook all day!! It's WONDERFUL!!!

These are the best thing for slow cooker/crock pot easy clean up. I've only found them in 1 size, but use them in all of my various sized crock pots. I have the 2, 4 and 7 qt. I only use the 2 qt one for dips/appetizers that need to stay warm. The 4qt works great for 2-4 chicken breast, or a small roast. I only use the 7qt for large quantities like chili, stews etc etc. For the little crock pot, I just cut off the top of the liner to fit. I actually have 4 crock pots because we won a 5qt crock pot at my husband's squadron Christmas party Saturday. It's still sitting in the box in my kitchen floor LOL.

Liner-Display-b-789718.jpg

These are the best thing for slow cooker/crock pot easy clean up. I've only found them in 1 size, but use them in all of my various sized crock pots. I have the 2, 4 and 7 qt. I only use the 2 qt one for dips/appetizers that need to stay warm. The 4qt works great for 2-4 chicken breast, or a small roast. I only use the 7qt for large quantities like chili, stews etc etc. For the little crock pot, I just cut off the top of the liner to fit. I actually have 4 crock pots because we won a 5qt crock pot at my husband's squadron Christmas party Saturday. It's still sitting in the box in my kitchen floor LOL.

Liner-Display-b-789718.jpg

WOW! Okay I am totally sold on a slow cooker!! lol

I am very excited about learning some recepies now! Thanks

My number one recommendation for beginners is 1) get a 4 quart crock pot, crock pot liners(found in the aluminum foil aisle of stores) and check out allrecipes.com crock pot recipe section 2) Get a George Foreman grill (I have the GF 360), get the one with removable plates for easier, effortless clean up

The easiest recipes for the GFG are meats marinated in either a dry rub, or Italian dressing. I use Italian dressing A LOT for chicken breasts. I slice the chicken breast (boneless skinless) into strips like chicken tenders, toss it in a big gallon size ziploc baggy with italian dressing, let it marinade for up to 24 hours. Heat up the GF grill, slap the chicken on the grill, cook for 7-8 minutes, remove and VOILA super moist, easy to eat, tender chicken.

I make kabobs with red/green pepper chunks, red potato chunks, beef sausage links and chicken breast chunks. I marinade the peppers, chicken and sausage in the Robusto Italian dressing my WishBone. Take 3-4 size B red potatoes and quarter them, rinse, and fill a microwave safe bowl with Water, microwave for 8 minutes until the potatoes are semi-soft. I skewer the meat, peppers and potatoes on bamboo skewers, and cook them on the GFG for 8-10 minutes rotating once during that time to ensure even cooking. You can use any veggie you like squash and zucchini hold up in the marinade mix as do mushrooms, I just do not like any of those, but will make them for my family occasionally.

Ground beef/turkey recipes are super easy depending on your taste, and again, I highly recommend allrecipes.com for recipe searching. I've posted several easy to make recipes that are more sleeve friendly that I've prepared for my family in the "food"/recipe section of the forum.

With the crock pot recipes, you can toss everything in, FROZEN chicken breast work great and the meat doesn't turn to absolute mush, set it on low for 8-10 hours and when y'all get home, throw a side dish together, and your dinner is ready in less than 10-20 minutes. I buy a lot of the Green Giant Steamables like the broccoli with cheese sauce, and the mixed veggies with rosemary butter sauce are staples in my home.

Any of the recipes that you find that call for sour cream, substitute non-fat plain flavored Greek yogurt, you cut carbs, increase Protein, and it doesn't change the taste of the recipe. Greek yogurt actually makes things more creamy in my opinion.

If you like barbque, get a small 2-4lbs roast (pork or beef) work well. Trim all the visible fat from the roast, toss it in the crock pot with barbque sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, a little worchestershire sauce, set the crock pot on low for 8-10 hours, the fat that cooks out of the meat will be on top, strain it off with a ladle, pull the roast out of the crock pot and shred it with 2 forks, then toss it back in the crock pot to mix with the sauce. Any leftovers can be frozen for up to 6 months in a freezer bag, and up to one year in a vacuum sealed, freezer bag.

I go through probably 20 cans of various creamy Soups per month. I buy all the reduced fat/reduced sodium Soups, and these make great gravies, and makes meat super tender.

Haha I just have to say I love that quote at the bottom of your post! "If you want something sugarcoated go eat a donut" classic, I'm going to write that one down and remember it :)

Well this cookbook is written by a Lebanese nutritionist and contains a lot of very good nutrition advise as well as tips for storing recipe components (such as cilantro and ground beef) so you can do most of your prep the day you go shopping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1566566770/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0670899720&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0C97A9X5B4CK9N6WFKGQ

I bought the book a few years back and have never regretted it. Every recipe is both awesome and healthy in addition to being simple. Many of the recipes are a little on the bland side but I make up for that by improvising with anise, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice and chile *****.

I would recommend this book to any beginning cook not only because of its simplicity but also because of its quick nutrition tutorial at the end.