Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is this happening now?

I accidentally clicked on New posts just now instead of the general as I usually do. Now, don't get me wrong, I've read the problems some people are having in the beginning and know they are there. But, with surgery just 3 weeks away and I've done paid and made up my mind I don't purposely want to read too much negativism and bad things although I know they happen.

I didn't realize until today how many people were having problems and slippages and having to have additional surgeries and reflux and stuff. Do you pro bandsters think I should call my pcp and start on prilosec or something now to help with after surgery. It really scared me. Almost every post someone was having they're band taken out. Just scary and that's not real helpful at this stage as I've been so positive.

Thank you guys for all of your help,

I will forever regardless of how surgery turns out for all of your help, info, and wonderful friends I have made here. Your the best.

Sherri:help:

SherriJO

Isn't prilosec for heartburn? Do you have heartburn now? If not, I certainly wouldn't. Don't borrow trouble.

I came through my surgery just fine. I think that people are more likely to talk about the problems they had than to rant about how good it was for them. Well, I'm here to say I had NO problems. No shoulder pain from gas, no nasuea, no reflux, not much tummy pain (although I took the meds). I slept in my bed the very first night. On my side, even. Have never PB'd or slimed, only one golf ball (and I should have known better). Not everyone is a wreck when they come out the other side.

Hunger: Well, I was never really hungry, but I did get bored with liquids. Was eager to start soft foods. Was eager to start solid food. I did not feel deprived. Actually, I like feeling a little hungry. (Sick, I know) I loved stepping on the scale (still do).

I went through that the first time I planned to get the band and I backed out. I was back a year later getting it put in. I am glad that I waited until I was sure and had weighed both sides. I think that you should look at both sides and be positive it's what you want. I felt like it was worth the risk. There are tons of people who get it and have no problems.

There aren't lots of people with slippages. Complications with the band are rare. People tend to come to a support group when they have problems or questions or a HUGE success. That's why you mostly see concerns posted. That's what a support group is for.

After surgery, I no longer need prilosec....I see more positive things than negative....For the first time...food doesn''t control me....You'll adjust...BE POSITIVE....YOU'LL WORK

I agree with the others, I think that the people that are doing great for the most part are out living their lives. I have been banded almost 1 year and feel great. I am less than 20 pounds from goal and I wouldn't trade my band for the world. I did have some gas/shoulder pain for a few days after surgery but that is the extent of my band complications. I was on pain meds for all of 2 or 3 doses and then regular liquid tylenol did the trick for me. I have gone from a size 22/24 to a 12 in just 11 months. Feel free to PM or ask any questions you may have. I am going with my sister for her lap-band seminar next week and I am trying to talk my mom into researching it further. I think the band is good enough to reccomend it to my mom, does that tell you anything? ~Mandy

After surgery, I no longer need prilosec....I see more positive things than negative....For the first time...food doesn''t control me....You'll adjust...BE POSITIVE....We are all indiduals and will have different experiences with the lapband...

i have been on prilosec for about 8 years. if i missed a pill, i knew it. i was banded May 31, 2006 and haven't needed it since. i would just take things as they come.

Sherri, that is the beauty of this support site. I've had only acif reflux and I'm only 11 days post op but down 12 lbs. I am thrilled with my band. My recovery has been painfree and I would do this again in the heartbeat. I am so grateful for not being hungry. My doctor said that was one of the best effects of the band. Its good you are questioning why, what, etc. so keep the questions coming. Its good if you are scared or need to vent. We are here for you. This forum will be very educational. Slippage and erosion are rare but its good to hear about all angles. Good luck!

I am only 9 days out of my surgery. I have to say, everything I prepared myself for (major pain, vomiting, and gas) was never that bad at all. Yes I had some pain but I would just take my pain meds and tada I was out like a light. Never vomited and for gas I just get up and walk around the house. I would do it all again. So good luck. It al goes by so fast. I read all the same things you did. I am sure we all felt the same things. I feel lucky to have everyone here to help me through my next stage after healing. You will do great. big hugs.