Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my take on the situation. Regardless of what surgery you decided to do, Its your business and no one elses. You can chose who to tell or not to tell, its no ones business. All you owe her is an heads up of I am having surgery or that you are going into the hospital. That's it. I find when you let the wrong people know your business, it van come to bite you in the end. Besides its your place of work, you should be worried about how your boss personally feels about what you have decided for yourself. Hope all works out.. Good Luck

Weird, I thought this emailed me with responses, but apparently not. I'm glad I checked back up on this thread, thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'm not particularly worried about telling my boss (or anyone) about the procedure. I AM, however, worried about telling my boss that I'm getting it done in Mexico - as that's what people seem to have the biggest problem with so far. As I think about it more, I definitely want to say something about it to her but I will have to come up with a tactful way of phrasing it.

That is what I am worried about too. I dont mind telling people about the wls at all but going to mexico will freak my folks out. I dont know if I should even tell them. Funny thing is that I have gotten angry at them for not telling me when they do surgery in the past! Where are you going?

We have FMLA act if we choose to use it and it protects us foe 12 weeks of unpaid leave that requires us to use paid sick and vacation time first. I would suggest in this economy anyone taking time in act it, you can use one week or 12. It protects you all around. My surgeon wrote a letter stating my procedure was medically necessary without saying what it was.

I only told my boss I was having surgery and would be off about 10 days. He didn't press for details, which was a relief. He is a beanpole and very strict with his own diet and exercise, and I really don't think he would understand why anyone would have WLS. I am also going to Mexico and didn't tell him that either. He'll find out everything when I get back to work as it's required to have a dr note for any sick leave over 3 days. He can freak out then but at least the surgery will already be over by then. I have only told a handful of people in the office that I am having WLS but I know word will spread eventually.

Dr notes only state that you have been under their care from to and your work release date, they do not say why or what the care was for.

Dr notes only state thay you have been under their care from to and your work relase date, they do not say why or what the care was for.

Yes, but it will be from a Mexican doctor I assume?

My boss was actually very supportive of the Mexican part of my surgery. I guess her brother-in-law had a surgery in Mexico and she knew the quality of it and was all for it.

i told my boss right away. and she was way supportive, and her daughter even comes into the office and covers for my shifts. and word has spread, and with overwhelming support and concern. everyone has positive things to say, as well as being behind me 100%. so i guess it just depends on your relationship with your boss. i work in a dealership and we are all kinda like family. so its kinda like they are going to hold me accountable in a good way, to make sure that i succeed. good luck with this and i hope your journey goes well!

Dr notes only state that you have been under their care from to and your work release date, they do not say why or what the care was for.

My doctor note stated that I had had "Major abdominal surgery" and needed at least 10 days off (we negotiated that one, he wanted me out for 3 weeks but I couldn't afford it).

BUT, his letter was on his stationery, which says DIVISION OF BARIATRIC AND LAPROSCOPIC SURGERY... so unless my boss is totally clueless, he figured it out. Still, the boss and personnel department accepted the letter and asked me no questions.

Cinderella

My boss likes to be very open with us, however I'm just not sure she would understand me missing this year's holiday party to go to Mexico and get the majority of my stomach removed. However, I still feel like I should talk to her about it just in case I need to take a couple more days off after the surgery. I'm also a very open and honest person. Everyone in my life outside of work knows that I'm doing this although all but a few don't agree with the choice.

My worst fear is that if I told her, she would see it as an extremely unnecessary risk and let me go for being stupid.

I also assume that once I start losing weight quickly, she will wonder what is up and ask me if I'm on drugs or something. lol I WANT to get it out in the open now rather than later but part of me thinks that I should keep it on the down low until post-op.

Any suggestions?