Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My new journey to thin

I decided to have weight loss surgery because I just couldn't loose the weight on my own. My highest weight was 291 lbs. and a BMI of 45.

In August after lots of research and questions I decided to have my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Kelly. I put my deposit down on August 14, 2010 and started making plans. My surgery was sheduled for November 19, 2010.

Started my pre-op diet on November 10th and that included yogurt, sugar free Jello, broth, and Protein Shakes. Ten whole days of only liquids! I didn't think I would be able to do it but guess what I did do it! I never cheated once! Everyone was so supportive and really encouraging. There were days when I daydreamed about ribs and nights when I dreamed about hamburgers. It got easier by the Wednesday before surgery thank goodness.

November 18th and I was all packed and ready to go. I was not not allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight that night. My flight was scheduled to fly out at 6:00am to San Diego, California where I would be picked up by my patient coordinator and then driven to Tijuana, Mexico.

My flight was great and I arrived in San Diego at 9:45am or so and called Laurie my patient coordinator to let her know I was there. Once Laurie arrived she introduced me to three patience that where on there way back home after having their surgery. It was nice to meet actual patience that had gone through this process.

Next we traveled across the border to Tijuana and went straight to the hospital and got settled in our rooms. I met Dr. Kelly and he asked if I had any questions. He speaks perfect english and answered all my questions. All the nurses are super nice and polite but don't speak any english. I didn't really have any communication problems with any of them.

After that they did an echocardio gram to check my heart, then a chest x-ray, drew blood, checked my vitals, and put my IV in. Finally, I was wheeled down to surgery and then I was out. Next thing I remember I was waking up and was trying to throw up a little into the bed pan. Then I went right back to sleep.

Finally woke up enough to access what I had done and then pretty much slept the rest of Friday. I was able to get up on my own and use the rest room sometime in the middle of the night. Saturday, I was able to get up and walk the hall several times then I slept off and on.

Sunday morning, November 21st, I got up and took a shower and walked the halls again. Then Dr. Kelly came in checked me over, then removed the drainage tube and my IV. Next I was taken down to have my Berrium leak test done. That stuff is soooo gross but it is something that has to be done and I did it. YUCK! The leak test was good and they gave me a copy of the images of my new small stomach.

After the leak test we checked out of the hospital and they took us to a hotel where we were able to eat some chicken broth. Now remember I had not had anything to eat or drink since Thursday at 10pm and it was now Sunday afternoon. That chicken broth tasted so good but I was only able to eat about 8 spoonfuls of it and took the rest to my hotel room.

I was not in any pain by the way and was able to use the restroom and walk with no help from anyone. Dr. Kelly came to the hotel to talk to us about taking our medications and follow up care. My patient coordinator, Laurie, came to my room and chatted with my for about an hour and then we made plans as to when we would leave the next morning for the airport.

Monday, November 22nd, we crossed the border with no problems of course and the wait was only about 35 minutes long so we got to the airport earlier than expected. My flight back to Houston was no problem at all; I had been worried it would be painful but I slept most the way back.

Finally got home to my house about 7:30pm and got to hug my family, which was awesome.

Check out my pictures below.

That was my experience, if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks,

Amanda

post-33580-13813667781255_thumb.jpg Go to San Diego

post-33580-13813667782534_thumb.jpg Me on the plane

post-33580-13813667783257_thumb.jpg Outside INT hospital

post-58020-13813667784667_thumb.jpg My bed and room at Hospital

post-3718-13813667784517_thumb.jpg Me almost ready for surgery

post-29756-13813667786193_thumb.jpg My bed after surgery

post-43821-13813667785306_thumb.jpg Me after surger

Getting ready to cross the border from Mexico to the USA.

post-3432-13813656049217_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656051656_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656054107_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656056482_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656058978_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656061389_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656063854_thumb.jpg

post-3432-138136560662_thumb.jpg

post-3432-13813656068701_thumb.jpg

congrats.....let the journey begin

I don't know what they do different but I am so happy for you! My surgery went well but with a little more pain! Can't wait to hear more about your journey!

Well Congrats on your new sleeve! I was sleeved on the 17th so our journey's have begun at nearly the same. I hope it is a successfuly and learning experience for us both!

Congrats! I too have wonder about you sleevers that talk about no pain and how easy it was. I am not going to say it was hard, but I had pain! It was taken care of with meds but I have to admit I would never have been able to fly so soon. I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because of pain. I had a cough that felt like I ripped my insides out and my diaphragm was in in a constant spasm afterward, I needed my pains meds that night like crazy. So I do wonder what is so different for some, is it a surgery technique or the individual?

I am day 5 and I still need some liquid vicodin here and there.

I am waiting for my surgery (mid Jan. is the plan). I have had several other surgeries before though. I think it is mainly just a difference in people and their pain tolerances. A bit can be from physicians and their techniques, but baring any complications, etc. I think it is mainly that different people have different tolerances. I work in Labor and delivery and every woman is different in how she perceives labor pain, I think surgical pain is the same way.

I am so happy for you! Congrats on your sleeve and I wish you a speedy recovery. Hugs!