Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mexico doctors

hi everyone! im new here and have been reading the posts for hours. i was banded 4 years ago and did get to my goal weight of 130 lbs within 2 years of being banded, but i know it was from overeating until i got sick. i have been torn apart by people on other sites over this. i know its is wrong but it worked. with that being said...my band slipped and i had it repositioned about 6 weeks ago. i have always hated my band but i hate it more now than ever and feel like i made a $5000 mistake having it fixed. i keep hearing that Dr. alvarez and Dr. Aceves are the best to go to. if anyone can give me their personal experience with either of them it would really help me. i am also wondering if anyone has current prices for band to sleeve revision with either of them. i know in my heart that the sleeve is what i should have had all along. i have gained back 45 lbs already and im so depressed it hurts. maybe if any of you are planning on going to have surgery with either of these doctors in the near future maybe we can plan our surgeries for the same time. i will be going alone and im really scared. i need some guidance and a shoulder to lean on. i dont have anyone to talk to about this who gets it. most of the people who i thought were friends talk about me behind my back and say im bulemic, that hurts. i really want this band out of my life for good! i just hope the sleeve will work for me and give me a normal life again. thanks for listening and please message me or reply with any info that might help. thank you, shaundra

I will be seeing Dr Aceves in February, whom I hear glowing reports about all the time. I have no clue about the cost. You should email the clinic and ask about their prices.

Lily

are you having surgery in february?

When I joined this website I too found alot of Aceves and Alvarez patients. These Dr's have a lot of publicity and Dr. Alvarez has alot of web media. I was considering both of these doctors myself but I was self pay and both of the Dr's were on the higher priced end. Great doctors I'm sure but the money was an issue for me. So I set out to fing a great doctor that was affordable for me and that's just what I did. After much research my sister and I both decided to go with Dr. Ramos Kelly in Tijuana Mexico. If you go to INT hospital (which I thought was simple yet amazing) the price is 5,600. The other two mentioned are between 8,000and 9,500 so I saved a few thousand dollars. Dr. Kelly also does revisions and RNY's and all the hard stuff ; ) He is amazing from the first time you speak to him. Don't take my word for it find out for yourself. My sister and I both feel we got exceptional care for an exceptional price. He is found on Obesietyhelp.com. There you will find lots of testimonials and his schooling info. He has never had a death and used to be a trauma surgeon. If you call them Trish will be your coordinator, please tell them Jessi was raving about Dr. Kelly. I am trying to get his name out there since people only really seem to know about dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez. Feel free to call me if you need 801-822-2381

hi everyone! im new here and have been reading the posts for hours. i was banded 4 years ago and did get to my goal weight of 130 lbs within 2 years of being banded, but i know it was from overeating until i got sick. i have been torn apart by people on other sites over this. i know its is wrong but it worked. with that being said...my band slipped and i had it repositioned about 6 weeks ago. i have always hated my band but i hate it more now than ever and feel like i made a $5000 mistake having it fixed. i keep hearing that Dr. alvarez and Dr. Aceves are the best to go to. if anyone can give me their personal experience with either of them it would really help me. i am also wondering if anyone has current prices for band to sleeve revision with either of them. i know in my heart that the sleeve is what i should have had all along. i have gained back 45 lbs already and im so depressed it hurts. maybe if any of you are planning on going to have surgery with either of these doctors in the near future maybe we can plan our surgeries for the same time. i will be going alone and im really scared. i need some guidance and a shoulder to lean on. i dont have anyone to talk to about this who gets it. most of the people who i thought were friends talk about me behind my back and say im bulemic, that hurts. i really want this band out of my life for good! i just hope the sleeve will work for me and give me a normal life again. thanks for listening and please message me or reply with any info that might help. thank you, shaundra

jessi, thank you so much for the info! i am going to call them asap. how long ago did you have your surgery and how much have you lost?

I can't comment on any other dr besides dr. aceves and there are not enough wonderful words to express how great he is. I didn't mind paying a little bit more. My peace of mind was worth it. he is so great, his staff are all wonderful and the hospital is so clean and nice. I felt like I was in the best hands possible with 3 leak tests.

I had surgery on Thanksgiving day 2010 and am 2 weeks out today. I went to Dr. Alvarez. I'm a physician/surgeon here in the states and could have had the surgery discounted because of that but still felt better going to someone that has been doing it longer and has done more procedures than anyone in the area that I practice. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Alvarez and his staff. I was lucky enough to attend an obesity help conference in Houston where Dr. Alvarez spoke and got to meet him and his surgery coordinator and many of his patients that were so happy with their choice and with their doctor. He considers his patients his friend and you are given his number to call or contact him anytime and he's also available thru Facebook for answering questions as well. I wouldn't do anything differently. I went alone and had no worries at all. I had no pain after surgery and have been doing terrific. I'm still on the liquid phase 2 now and look forward to all the rewards that come from this surgery.

I had surgery on Thanksgiving day 2010 and am 2 weeks out today. I went to Dr. Alvarez. I'm a physician/surgeon here in the states and could have had the surgery discounted because of that but still felt better going to someone that has been doing it longer and has done more procedures than anyone in the area that I practice. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Alvarez and his staff. I was lucky enough to attend an obesity help conference in Houston where Dr. Alvarez spoke and got to meet him and his surgery coordinator and many of his patients that were so happy with their choice and with their doctor. He considers his patients his friend and you are given his number to call or contact him anytime and he's also available thru Facebook for answering questions as well. I wouldn't do anything differently. I went alone and had no worries at all. I had no pain after surgery and have been doing terrific. I'm still on the liquid phase 2 now and look forward to all the rewards that come from this surgery.

Congrats on your surgery! ;)

I had the same problem as you I had my gastric band in Oct 08 and slipped by January 09 i was always on the really tight side and was always very dehydrated my surgeon repositioned it but it slipped again. I had over 20 fills and was fed up. I went to Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center in Tijuana and the doctors there worked with me for months to try to save my band but in March 2010 I decided to convert it to a sleeve and honestly I cant compare, I LOVE MY SLEEVE. I wish I would of started there and not had to go through everything that I did. Good Luck to you!!!

I saw Dr. Ramos-Kelley in early January 2011 and was very happy with the care I received. He has a new hospital he is working with and they took very good care of my companion too.

It was just like having surgery done in the states. I would recommend Dr. Kelley anytime.

Good luck!

I saw Dr. Ramos-Kelley in early January 2011 and was very happy with the care I received. He has a new hospital he is working with and they took very good care of my companion too.

It was just like having surgery done in the states. I would recommend Dr. Kelley anytime.

Good luck!

From what I have gathered on these site is Aceeves, Ramos-Kelly, & Rodriguez are all equally good. I chose Dr. Rod. because of his experience. He has done more surgeries than the others but my understanding is none of them have had leaks. Dr. Almanaz(sp) not highly recommended and the facilities resemble a back alley surgery. So I would definately stick between the Dr's listed above.

From what I have gathered on these site is Aceeves, Ramos-Kelly, & Rodriguez are all equally good. I chose Dr. Rod. because of his experience. He has done more surgeries than the others but my understanding is none of them have had leaks. Dr. Almanaz(sp) not highly recommended and the facilities resemble a back alley surgery. So I would definately stick between the Dr's listed above.

I guess none of us have any way of really knowing, but according to the OH listing of bariatric surgeons, Ramos-Kelly has the most VSG's performed, followed by Aceves and then Rodriguez.

I have not had surgery yet, but I chose Aceves based on reviews here on the sight.

To the OP, Dr. Alvarez has done many, many VSG's also. I have no idea about his sucess rate, though.

Here was my thread chronicling my entire experience with Dr. Aceves and his staff. I hope will help you!! Please also know that Dr. Aceves has many years and hundreds of patients worth of experience on Lap Band to Sleeve revisions. I would NOT have gone to anyone else for this, except Dr. Cirangle in San Francisco - and he was much more expensive.:)http://www.verticals...h__1#entry76487

I just talked to Nina at Dr. Aceves. She said it is 10,500 for band removal and sleeve at the same time. She said Dr. Aceves can do them in one surgery provided that the band is not eroded.