Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor begs me not to have LapBand 2 weeks prior to surgery!

Hello Everyone,

First of all , let me say these forums have truly been God sent. I am inspired and informed! Congrats to all of you have have taken the step to a healthier life.

I am 280 pounds and only 5 feet and 1 inch. My goal weight is about 170 pounds (I don't want to be skinny)! I was originally scheduled to have LapBand on Tuesday, November 30, 2010. I went to see my doctor this past Thursday for a pre-surgery consultation and he begged me not to have LapBand and have the Sleeve instead. He said I would be pleased with the results of the Sleeve and not be as sick as I would be with the Band. He also mentioned the number of revisions he is doing!

I was numb initially! I had spent weeks toiling over having LapBand and Gastric Bypass:unsure:. I had briefly looked at the Sleeve, but had not given it serious consideration. After having several friends with serious ByPass complications, I finally decided to have LapBand. Now my doctor is confusing me all over again!!!!

I came home and began to research. I watched You Tube videos and then I found this site! After days of reading posts on this site, I contacted my doctor today and changed my procedure to VSG! I am nervous, yet encouraged.

Your support is so needed! Please post any pre-op or initial post-op advice, do's and don'ts. Thank you in advance for your help. This site truly helped me make my decision. I am looking forward to the new me!

NewNatalie

Scheduled for VSG - November 30, 2010

Start Weight: 280 pounds

While odd coming from the surgeon himself, you are blessed to have someone warn you to the extent you did.

My story is no different than anyone else who had the band. I went through 5 years of hell. The human body is not designed to have that in it. My esophagus is damaged and weakened. The removal rate of Lap bands is very high due to complications.

I had all my Fluid removed yet I still stayed constantly dehydrated from not being able to drink water! The Sleeve while scary at first, does everything the band promised only without the side effects. I got my band out and sleeve done on Aug. 26th, the past 3 or so months are the first time since 2005 I've been normal and not vomiting!!

I challenge you to go online and find people who were banded 5 years ago and are still happy, successful and not having side effects. For every 1 of those folks there are thousands of us who were put through hell.

You have no idea, but you were just given the Golden Ticket, bravo to your doctor for standing up for what is right!

Newnatalie my Doctor did the SAME thing to me. He told me to go home and read as much as I can on the Sleeve! I'm SO GLAD I did! This seems to be a better and safer bet! I'm hoping to be sleeve in December! GOOD luck and stay in touch!!!

I also hated life with the band, but had never even heard about the VSG. I went to my surgeon about my gall bladder and asked if he could put in a smaller port on my lapband because it always got "caught" on my ribs and was very uncomfortable.

My amazing surgeon, who originally did my lapband, started telling me how he was seeing more and more band patients with problems after 3 yrs. I had my band 4 years and hated it. I had a pain around it, but nothing showed up with a barium swallow. Ends up I had a hiatal hernia in the area above the band, which I've heard is very common with band patients. He told me about the VSG and I decided to do it since I had to have my gall bladder removed anyway. I had everything done in one surgery (band removed, VSG, hernia repair, gall bladder and adhesion removal). I'm now down to my goal weight and I'm completely sold on the VSG vs. the band.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision! Good luck!

I am having mine on 11/27 and getting the "super sleeve" in Mexico. From what I have read it is the best choice out there and after being 100 lbs overweight for 20 years anything moving me in the right direction will be great. I am excited and nervous for both of us but my coodinator says I have about as much chance of having problems as being hit by a car. That made me feel loads better. Still with no one to talk to I find this site a good spot to try.

Hello Everyone,

First of all , let me say these forums have truly been God sent. I am inspired and informed! Congrats to all of you have have taken the step to a healthier life.

I am 280 pounds and only 5 feet and 1 inch. My goal weight is about 170 pounds (I don't want to be skinny)! I was originally scheduled to have LapBand on Tuesday, November 30, 2010. I went to see my doctor this past Thursday for a pre-surgery consultation and he begged me not to have LapBand and have the Sleeve instead. He said I would be pleased with the results of the Sleeve and not be as sick as I would be with the Band. He also mentioned the number of revisions he is doing!

I was numb initially! I had spent weeks toiling over having LapBand and Gastric Bypass:unsure:. I had briefly looked at the Sleeve, but had not given it serious consideration. After having several friends with serious ByPass complications, I finally decided to have LapBand. Now my doctor is confusing me all over again!!!!

I came home and began to research. I watched You Tube videos and then I found this site! After days of reading posts on this site, I contacted my doctor today and changed my procedure to VSG! I am nervous, yet encouraged.

Your support is so needed! Please post any pre-op or initial post-op advice, do's and don'ts. Thank you in advance for your help. This site truly helped me make my decision. I am looking forward to the new me!

NewNatalie

Scheduled for VSG - November 30, 2010

Start Weight: 280 pounds

Hi Aquamama,

Congratulations! We must keep in touch. I see you are having surgery 4 days before me.

What is the "super sleeve"? How is this different for normal VSG?

I am having mine on 11/27 and getting the "super sleeve" in Mexico. From what I have read it is the best choice out there and after being 100 lbs overweight for 20 years anything moving me in the right direction will be great. I am excited and nervous for both of us but my coodinator says I have about as much chance of having problems as being hit by a car. That made me feel loads better. Still with no one to talk to I find this site a good spot to try.

Carrie,

I am grateful for my doctor's honesty! He has an awesome reputation and is known for being a superb surgeon. He performed my aunt's Lapband and she is in year 3 with no complaints. He did my sister's LapBand a month ago. She does not have as much weight to lose as I do and she was not open to anything, but LapBand.

I will say that I have seen more people unhappy with the LapBand. I have read very few reviews of dissatisfied VSG patients. I pray I am making the right decision!

Thanks for your support and words of encouragement.

NewNatalie

Hi TexasT,

I am becoming more and more sure of my decision as I read posts on this website. I hate throwing up and he told me that, with the band, vomiting is very common.

I am glad that you are doing well and have met your goal! Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

NewNatalie

I also hated life with the band, but had never even heard about the VSG. I went to my surgeon about my gall bladder and asked if he could put in a smaller port on my lapband because it always got "caught" on my ribs and was very uncomfortable.

My amazing surgeon, who originally did my lapband, started telling me how he was seeing more and more band patients with problems after 3 yrs. I had my band 4 years and hated it. I had a pain around it, but nothing showed up with a barium swallow. Ends up I had a hiatal hernia in the area above the band, which I've heard is very common with band patients. He told me about the VSG and I decided to do it since I had to have my gall bladder removed anyway. I had everything done in one surgery (band removed, VSG, hernia repair, gall bladder and adhesion removal). I'm now down to my goal weight and I'm completely sold on the VSG vs. the band.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision! Good luck!

Hopeandfaith,

I am grateful to him for making me reconsider. I was just shocked because it was2 weeks before my surgery!

I pray all goes well for you. I will definitely keep in touch!

Newnatalie my Doctor did the SAME thing to me. He told me to go home and read as much as I can on the Sleeve! I'm SO GLAD I did! This seems to be a better and safer bet! I'm hoping to be sleeve in December! GOOD luck and stay in touch!!!

I started my research looking at lapband talk forum and people were mentioning this procedure called the sleeve. It also was popping up on the advertisements on that board. So I got curious and it did not take me long to decide that FOR ME this was the procedure. It was just a no brainer for my situation. I was no interested in the upkeep that may or may not be necessary for the band. Fills then unfills, more fills, where is that darn sweet spot and then the corrosion, slippage issues that are possible. I loved that with the sleeve once you sleeve and recover you are pretty free and clear of complications.

14 weeks later I have lost 42 pounds and am within 15 of my goal! My BMI was 34 and is now at a 27 and getting lower every day! It is not all sugar and spice, you still have to be prepared for the portion sizes and work the sleeve but it is nice to just go along rather normally only eating smaller portions and getting some much needed exercise.

Natalie,

I originally planned on getting the lapband. But as I did more research and read more forums, it sounded like very few people were happy with it. As I learned of people having revisions, I found out about VSG. Gastric Bypass had too many scary aspects to it, so I decided the sleeve was the way to go for me.

I wasn't willing to try the band only to have another procedure down the road. I didn't want trial and error. I wanted a procedure that worked once and for all.

It was the best decision of my life.

I can only imagine the shock of having your dr suggest the change, but thank goodness he did. It means you have a surgeon who is concerned with what is best for you.

As far as what you should do pre-op, try to cut out drinking soda now. I drank Dr. Pepper until the night before surgery and waking up from anesthesia with a caffeine headache sucks.

Take before pics and measurements. During those times when you think the scale is moving slow, seeing your progress in pics and seeing how many inches you've lost can really keep you motivated.

Continue to do research so that you are well prepared mentally and emotionally.

Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone progresses at different rates. If you follow your dr's plan for you, the sleeve will work!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

I had looked at the band initially, but after reading about all the "side effect" and the damage to folks esophagus and the erosion it took me no time to choose the sleeve. I am on my way to the hospital now to get it done!

I, too, wanted a lapband, but my doctor said he wouldn't even perform it. So, I was left with no other option (really did not want RNY) -- and I couldn't be happier!! I really think your doctor has done you a great service. You will not be unhappy :)