Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Was Your Gastric Sleeve Surgeon

I have chosen Dr. Ramos Kelly, my VSG date is January 3rd in Tijuana at Angeles Hospital. I have done a lot of research and, though it's difficult to find valid information on many of these forum-type sites, I was able to come to a decision based on two things: 1) one of my closest friends had surgery with Dr. Kelly a few months ago, and though she said she had trouble with insurance paperwork being filled out correctly, she said the surgery and team were efficient and her positive results are evident each time I see her. The other doctor I would have chosen is Dr. Guillermo Alvarez based on my own research and statistic analysis in comparison to other doctors. Dr. Alvarez is farther away from me (south of San Antonio, TX) and charges $8,500 for the VSG. For this reason, I opted for Dr. Kelly because I am a private-pay patient, and Dr. Kelly charges either $5,500 or $6,500 depending on which hospital you choose, Nova or Angeles. Angeles is the newer (and more expensive) of the two with state-of-the-art equipment. Nova is considerably older. My friend opted for Nova, but explained that the nurses who drew blood and set up her IV did not use gloves when doing so...which totally freaks me out because I have a medical background and this is just NOT acceptable. But other than that (!!!) she said the hospital was clean. However, following sterile technique is THE MOST important aspect of ANY medical staff, and a violation at this level may be indicative of lack of proper training etc. etc....so, because of this, I opted to pay the $1,000 more to have my surgery done at Angeles hospital. I am a little freaked out about having surgery, especially since I am considered a "lightweight" going in (bmi is 34) and this isn't a life-saving procedure for me, right now anyway...but I feel it has the potential to go there given my life-long weight battle and my lack of ability to keep it in check any more. Anyway, I wish you well on your journey and please post your selections after you have made them! Always interested to know who chose who and where and when!!! Good luck!!

Edited by ThinIceHockey

My surgeon was Dr. James Ku at Lancaster General in Lancaster, PA. Great surgeon and hospital. Would highly recommend to anyone in PA looking for a surgeon.

My surgeon was Dr. Eric Dutson at UCLA medical center in Westwood, CA. His NP Anna and nutritionist was very helpful throughout the process. The nurses before, during, and in recovery were phenomenal and made my experience the best it could be. Highly recommended.

Hi my surgeon was dr. Stauffer. I had my procedure done at mayo clinic. No regrets ...the service was professional and the staff was awesome.

My surgeon was Dr. Marc Rickford practicing at Providence Hospital Washington DC. Great team!

Dr. Scott Stowers at Wise Regional Hospital in Decatur, Tx did my band 6 years ago and just did my revision to a sleeve. He and his staff are fantastic and the hospital has always been top notch! My band had no issues and no scar tissue. Impressive!

Dr.Peter Rantis Jr. Of the Kane Center --- Suburban Surgical Care in Hoffman Estates, IL. Nicest doctor ever on the planet! Nicest staff on the planet. Best team ever!

My awesome, funny, handsome surgeon was Dr. Jordan Garrison, who participates with Christ Hospital in Jersey City, NJ. The hospital staff was wonderful, my surgeon is an awesome doctor and I have recommended him and my hospital at least 3 times in the last two weeks lol.

Hi. I have a wonderful team of doctors and phenomenal surgeon. The only doctor I would not recommend is Dr. Hart's office, as he is the pulmonologist, and he and his office are horrible. He lacks respect, a bedside manner, and his staff are disrespectful, rude, and lack follow through. Now that's done, I went through the Kane Center in Hoffman Estates, IL and have had a wonderful experience. Dr. Guske is my surgeon and has a terrific bedside manner, is throrough, goes over and beyond, and understands the needs of his patients. His office staff are top notch, and he is partners with Dr. Kane, who I saw in the hospital and was just as warm, encouraging, and inviting. The office provides weekly support groups and the hosptial, St. Alexis, provides 24-hour phone support even when home from the recovery unit. So I am 5 days post-op, counting the day of surgery, and feeling good. The only things I don't like is the running to the toilet every so often, but I know that will change soon. But again, I have faith and trust in the Kane Center, Dr. Guske, and St. Alexis/Alexian Brothers Hosptial. Top notch!!!!!!

I come to sing the praises of Dr. Noel Williams and the University of Pennsylvania Bariatric program. They have support groups in varying times and locates throughout the month, the staff is always nice and professional. I LOVE the handbook given to patients, It literally became my bible giving me a written reference book to guide me through the entire process. My in-patient stay was comfortable. I was given a private room and the nursing/medical staff could not have been better.

Nest of all I had no pain, no gas, no Constipation, no complications to speak of. They arranged a visiting nurse to check on me at home when I was initially discharged. I get high fives from the nutritionist and nurse when I go for my follow-up appointments. How's that for positive re-enforcement?

Hi. I have a wonderful team of doctors and phenomenal surgeon. The only doctor I would not recommend is Dr. Hart's office, as he is the pulmonologist, and he and his office are horrible. He lacks respect, a bedside manner, and his staff are disrespectful, rude, and lack follow through. Now that's done, I went through the Kane Center in Hoffman Estates, IL and have had a wonderful experience. Dr. Guske is my surgeon and has a terrific bedside manner, is throrough, goes over and beyond, and understands the needs of his patients. His office staff are top notch, and he is partners with Dr. Kane, who I saw in the hospital and was just as warm, encouraging, and inviting. The office provides weekly support groups and the hosptial, St. Alexis, provides 24-hour phone support even when home from the recovery unit. So I am 5 days post-op, counting the day of surgery, and feeling good. The only things I don't like is the running to the toilet every so often, but I know that will change soon. But again, I have faith and trust in the Kane Center, Dr. Guske, and St. Alexis/Alexian Brothers Hosptial. Top notch!!!!!!

I agree 200%! Dr. Kane was my surgeon and everything from beginning (pre-op appts, office support, insurance) to end (i'm 3 months post-op) has been seamless!

Dr. Kane is warm, and personable. Surgery went perfect. I was at Alexian Brothers and I can't say enough about the staff there. So wonderful. Dr. Kane's staff is efficient and if i've ever called about a question, they've called back in a timely manner.

I had similar issues with Dr. Hart's office. (I had a different pulmonoligist who was fine.) Numerous issues with paperwork getting where it was suppose to, and when i'd follow up the blame was placed on someone/someplace else. My surgery was almost delayed because of such an issue. But it was worth it because Dr. Kane, and team, has been so amazing.

I had sleeve done on 12/18/14 by Dr. Brice Hamilton at Kansas City Bariatric Center. Everything has gone great from seminar to consult to psych visit to nutrition class to EGD to labs to surgery and post-op. I researched a lot of facilities. For the Kansas City area, the only place I would unreservedly recommend is Kansas City Bariatric Center.

I am getting the sleeve by Dr. Vincent Iannace in Teaneck, NJ. I am having my surgery at Holy Name Medical Center in Teaneck, NJ.

My dr was dr Umbach from blossom bariatrics in Las Vegas Nv. I was self pay and it was just under 10,000. I was out of the center same day as surgery. By the next morning I was up and walked five miles ( no joke) he gives you his personal cell phone # in case it's after hrs and you need him. And his staff were great. I skype with my nutritionist and they kept me with the same team from pre op to walking out the door. Oh and as my surgery was 12/31 my nurse was going to drive me safely back to my hotel so I didn't get rushed by wasted celebrating crowds. I had to talk her and the dr out of it. LOVE blossom bariatrics post-243108-14203400772571_thumb.jpgoh and I love my cough buddy