Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone see Rachel Ray Thursday?

She had a lady on tv that had regained a hundred pounds after bypass. It was then stated that some 50 PERCENT of barriactric patients fail! I realize people do self sabotage, but 50 PERCENT? Can this be true??

LORD I HOPE NOT YIKES!!!! Was it just for Gastric Bypass peeps???

I keep wondering about this too. Actually I know three people IRL who had gastric bypass, 2 have regained and the other one is now a severe alcoholic, so my stats skew to 100% fail, but obviously that is not true. Scares me some because this has been too easy for me. I hope I am learning better habits for when it gets harder....

I have come to the conclusion that failure is always there it is an unchanging unmoving possibility, what changes failure is when we ***succeed***, there are people here who have succeeded but there are those who could not overcome the power of food. I want to be a success story but I know that the surgery alone is not "it" I need to find something other than eating to express my emotions. I am hoping that as I lose weight the lighter I become the easier it is to exercise as I love to dance. I don't watch Rachel usually because her voice really annoys me she also is not a very relaxed person (she only has 30min to cook) so when I watch TV I want to relax. When I called to schedule my appointment with the psych lady she told me that if people don't continue with therapy after surgery they get fat again(?her exact words). I have decided that is I am going to risk my life on the OR table I am not going to waste it by slipping milk shakes and twinkies, the abuse HAS TO STOP. If I couldn't commit then I would not have the surgery. I can only imagine the depression that comes with having regained all the weight it must be too hard to bare. Support is important I think finding people locally who want to meet and maybe once in awhile hang out and have fun might be a good thing too.

Pretty sad... I've heard 50% fail also, but it was for gastric bypass patients (not us). For me, I will continue to help myself by learning more about the brain on losing weight, I believe that's the secret.

Taking into account ALL wls patients including banders and RNYers, I totally believe that 50% figure. It's sad, but I think VSG will slowly improve the odds for everyone. B)

I'm with Stacy on the statistical information especially when we factor in band and RNY patients. For me, the sleeve has given me the necessary tool with little long term complications (no slippage, no pouch dilating, no obstructions, or other complications we read about), and I have already "tested" out the sleeve in regards to "cheating". Just for me personally, the 2 weeks leading up to Halloween was pure hell, candy, parties, junk food galore. Yep, I gained a whole whopping 5 pounds to put me up to 131, oh yeah and throw in 2-3 sodas a day, and miscellaneous several glasses of wine and mojitos, I wasn't freaking out over the slight gain because I knew exactly why and how I gained the weight. Once all the parties were over, and life returned to my normal sleeve eating which is anything and everything I want, just Protein first, more clear, sugar free fluids, I dropped 7lbs. Just for me, and how my mind works, I know exactly what will lead to a regain. I knew the scale would reveal an increase, but I was also mentally prepared for it. I've learned that the sleeve only does so much, and it really likes those wasted calorie and slider foods. I know what causes the scale to go up, but I also know what it takes to maintain. For my little mental state, I know there are consequences, but I also know how easy it is for me to get back on track and drop the weight.

How did they define "fail"? Gaining all the weight back? Some of the weight? Not losing to goal? I'd like to know what they meant. Thanks.

I wondered what fail means too...

Rachel looks like she has had some work done on her face/mouth.

In my Quest for information from those who have been there...I spoke with MANY who had WLS. (mostly bypass and band). While many have regained...they are nowhere NEAR where they were (anywhere from 5-20+ yrs out). While I want to maintain....I do NOT see them as failures. They are better off than they were before because of the lower weight.

This does prove to me that I have to USE the tool I now have. It is up to ME. In the long run, I want to be healthier for my family and myself.

Yes its true that being smaller is better than being bigger, I just want to point out that gaining significant amounts of weight back (at least more than 20 lbs - depending on height, gender etc) can still be unhealthy for the body. So to assume that one is healthier simply because they are still smaller than they used to be can be a little misleading.

What is the person eating that they would gain so much weight back? Especially not doing the right thing and getting back on track to eating healthy to lose the weight. I still think that is just as dangerous and unhealthy as it ever was in the past.

I'm not talking about someone gaining a few pounds here and there as they are enjoying life... but to go overboard and continue to do so and gain a good amount of weight back that needed surgery to help remove. I went through this, and even though I was never as large as I was at my biggest I consider myself just as unhealthy as I was at 330 Lbs. Maybe even more so for a great many reasons.

It's really important to remember this, and not use that as an excuse to gain a lot of weight back.

Anyway, IMO all of us here have chosen one of the better options at helping us to not gain significant amounts of weight back. It's true you can regain with ANY WLS, but some are harder to do this with than others. At least we are able to catch ourselves and make it right before it gets too out of control. Other surgeries just aren't that lucky.

I did actually happen to check out this episode. Just my opinion but I felt it was a little condescending to the lady who regained weight. Of course all she could promise was "exercise more and eat less.. blah blah blah..." I think majority of us here know that its much deeper than that.

Just sayin'!!!

I wondered what fail means too...

Rachel looks like she has had some work done on her face/mouth.

I re-watched the show as I had recorded it and their "expert" just stated that some 50% fail. The woman they had on the show had regained over a hundred of the two hundred pounds she lost. The showed video of her eating this huge cheeseburger, not very flattering.

Clearly she did not address her food addiction at all if she was able to get that much and kind of food down after bypass surgery. Can you imagine how much food must be going in if there is malabsorbstion still in play??

I had a fear at first of regaining and yet having no stomach left to spare. That would be sad. I don't really think that would happen though. I hope not. I would like to be a runner some day, to be truly fit. That is my goal - not just to be small.

I re-watched the show as I had recorded it and their "expert" just stated that some 50% fail. The woman they had on the show had regained over a hundred of the two hundred pounds she lost. The showed video of her eating this huge cheeseburger, not very flattering.

Clearly she did not address her food addiction at all if she was able to get that much and kind of food down after bypass surgery. Can you imagine how much food must be going in if there is malabsorbstion still in play??

OMG - A bypass patient may be able to eat a huge cheeseburger, but seriously, can you imagine any sleeve patient EVER being able to do that with 85% of our stomachs gone?!!! I know that our surgeons opinions differ on whether or not our tummy's can stretch out at all or not, but there is NO WAY they can ever be like before....what did they tell us, like a deflated football, approx. 51 oz??!! I really think VSG is the superior surgery when it comes to long term success. I know there are some who have food addictions - we can and some will "eat around" our tool. Milk shakes, pasteries, soft food and eating stuff like this every couple of hours will certainly pack on the pounds....but you can't save someone from themselves.....all in all, the sleeve is a wonderful opportunity for most people who are overweight, we just have to approach it like "Rocky" getting ready for a fight. In a good frame of mind and ready to go the distance and win!! :)