Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You also have to take into account that they include people that didn't follow dr instructions.....no preop diet, smoking, etc. The deaths are probably mostly in people that are much higher risk do to risk factors not the actual surgery.

Please read this link that was posted elsewhere. The 1 in 200 data is seriously outdated and just plain wrong.

http://asmbs.org/benefits-of-bariatric-surgery/

I am disappointed that people are quoting ancient data, consider going to a bariatric center of excellence that has a real travk record and real numbers. My weight loss surgical center has done several thousand procedures and have only had 3 leaks ( much less deaths).

Also don't forget that every year you live with a BMI over 40, you have a substantial risk of dying from obesity related conditions. Being a 100 pounds over weight is dangerous, that is why they call a " morbid".

Sent from my iPad using VST

My father died at 91 after his podiatrist cut his toenails, nicking several of his toes. He became septic and died within 48 hours. Who would have thought?!?!?!

My brother who died of pancreatic cancer at age 51 always said, "You pays your money, and you takes your chances." Surgery is a risk from the beginning. Make your informed decision and stick with it, and don't stress yourself out living in a "what if" world. I'm in the medical field and probably know more about the risks than the average bear. I hope you will be able to go through the process with some confidence and come out on the other side without regrets. I have. Best wishes...Kathe

Read in the information leaflet that 1 in 200 die during or shortly after this operation' date=' this seems quiet a high number for me? Has anyone else read this? im asking this as i have my operation on 30th November and like everyone else im scared........ cant sleep, very tearful, and the fears are driving me mad...BUT yet i need this for ME mostly and then to see my children grow up ....... give me your comments and views thanks xx[/quote']

1 in 200 die with the bypass surgery, the sleeve is 1 in 1,000 which is another reason I chose the sleeve. My BMI was so I that I was at greater risk with a 4% chance of dying. I am a single mother and was scared to death but if I didn't have surgery I might not live long enough to raise my daughter. We take risks everyday in life so why not take a risk that will better our lives? I know I risk my life everyday when I get in my car, people can't drive! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was 386lbs the day of surgery Oct 5th yes 8 days ago. I'm alive and well had no complications. Preop I stopped reading all the negative and just had faith. I was so peaceful on the day of surgery until my husband couldn't believe it. I'm down 21lbs since surgery. Don't worry you're all gonna do very well

Also keep in mind that obesity is a number 1 killer in America! Lot of blessings your way!

You also have to take into account that they include people that didn't follow dr instructions.....no preop diet' date=' smoking, etc. The deaths are probably mostly in people that are much higher risk do to risk factors not the actual surgery.[/quote']

I'm one of the 1 in 400 who experienced complications in surgery and nearly died after surgery. I followed drs instructions to a T. I did a preop, don't smoke, no comorbidities, only 70lbs to lose, and I'm young and relatively active. Pre surgery I dismissed the risks just as Sarah did above. My advice, first, check your doc out carefully. And don't rely on that center of excellence goober. My center was one. See if you can find any deaths or complaints about the doc online (there are rating sites). Make sure they don't have any outstanding cases or complaints against their license, and for gods sake go to a real hospital for the surgery so that if a 1% issue arises when you are on the table, it can be addressed with all of the appropriate care necessary!

It really is important to consider ALL the risks involved, not just the death portion. I am 10 weeks out and I can't keep down food. I get between 100-200 calories a day, max. Not sure but it could be a kink in my sleeve, just the way my body healed. They tell you, "Death is a risk," but they never say "You could lose your ability to nourish your body." I ruined my life by deciding to do this surgery, honestly. Do your research, ask lots of questions, and do some serious soul searching before you decide to do this surgery.

It really is important to consider ALL the risks involved' date=' not just the death portion. I am 10 weeks out and I can't keep down food. I get between 100-200 calories a day, max. Not sure but it could be a kink in my sleeve, just the way my body healed. They tell you, "Death is a risk," but they never say "You could lose your ability to nourish your body." I ruined my life by deciding to do this surgery, honestly. Do your research, ask lots of questions, and do some serious soul searching before you decide to do this surgery.[/quote']

Wow Abby, I''m so sorry to see this. I am also waiting to see if I will lose my stomach if the repairs don't hold but I'm able to get in more calories at least for now. It sounds like you need to be back in (or in) a good hospital to figure this out asap!

I have to agree with the regret you so clearly feel. I regret doing this to myself, putting myself in jeopardy when I have a child who needs me, and I had no health reason's to do it. I told my husband not to put "dying to be skinny" on my tombstone, but there was a time I wondered if he was going to have to consider that. I hope there is a fix for whatever has happened to your body dear. And that we both retain what's left of our stomach's.

I'm one of the 1 in 400 who experienced complications in surgery and nearly died after surgery. I followed drs instructions to a T. I did a preop' date=' don't smoke, no comorbidities, only 70lbs to lose, and I'm young and relatively active. Pre surgery I dismissed the risks just as Sarah did above. My advice, first, check your doc out carefully. And don't rely on that center of excellence goober. My center was one. See if you can find any deaths or complaints about the doc online (there are rating sites). Make sure they don't have any outstanding cases or complaints against their license, and for gods sake go to a real hospital for the surgery so that if a 1% issue arises when you are on the table, it can be addressed with all of the appropriate care necessary!

[/quote']

I second all of this ... Never thought I would be the one with the leak and tons of complications that follow since I was so young and healthy other than being overweight and followed all the rules. Everything seemed to be going great the first two weeks after surgery but then the fever struck. Long story short I ended up nearly dead from a leak and was in the hospital for over a month with complication after complication. I am doing ok now , still have to be very careful. It was a nightmare. I am very blessed to be alive.

I second all of this ... Never thought I would be the one with the leak and tons of complications that follow since I was so young and healthy other than being overweight and followed all the rules. Everything seemed to be going great the first two weeks after surgery but then the fever struck. Long story short I ended up nearly dead from a leak and was in the hospital for over a month with complication after complication. I am doing ok now ' date=' still have to be very careful. It was a nightmare. I am very blessed to be alive.[/quote']

My story sounds a lot like yours (it's too many pages to read LOL but its in the story section ...what you don't want to know). As people can see here, complications do happen. I'm sorry you've had a similar story to mine sleevealicious. I wouldnt want my worst enemy to have gone through what I did and I'm sure you can probably say the same at this point. I'm glad you made it through!

My story sounds a lot like yours (it's too many pages to read LOL but its in the story section ...what you don't want to know). As people can see here' date=' complications do happen. I'm sorry you've had a similar story to mine sleevealicious. I wouldnt want my worst enemy to have gone through what I did and I'm sure you can probably say the same at this point. I'm glad you made it through![/quote']

Thanks, Iggy! I did read your story and it sounds just terrible. I am so glad that you made it too! I feel like the sleeve is portrayed as all sunshine and roses on here and I think people do need to read about the complications. I know before in had the surgery i just blew off the possibility of getting and major complications since I am young and healthy and mostly always saw good stuff on here. I definitely would not wish it on my worst enemy!